Day 11

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Re: Day 11

Postby Sam Smythe » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:05 am

I had a visit from Wellsy yesterday. What an awesome guy! We talked distilling (mostly), fishing, scuba diving and motorbike riding. He also brought round 2 "samples" of his spirits, which I was expecting to be maybe 200ml. Nah, the y were full bottles of Bourbon and Vodka. We had what to me was a great chat over several hours as well as sharing a drink of his spirits and a few beers.
Wellsy, I can't thank you enough!!
And Carol, your advice was spot on! I had tried maybe 15 times to hit the reset button on the still. I tried again 10mins before Wellsy got here. I actually worked! We are not sure what has come out of it, but at least it worked as it should.
Ruddy Crazy...baby steps mate. This batch may not have worked, I really don't know, but I will definitely try again
Sam Smythe

equipment: AirStill

Postby Wellsy » Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:52 am

Baby steps Johnno, if nothing else you have some distilled water for future dilutions.

You get your next wash started mate , use what you have there, maybe even a tomato paste one as it sounded like you already had the ingredients. I will get a WBAB wash on the go this weekend and bring some around when it is fermented.

Then once you have run everything through your still you can work out what works best for you and we can then look at what size fermenter is going to work best. As I said the end goal is to get you producing something you like and you are proud of. Apart from safety issues how you do that is not important if it works for you.

I will be back to drop off the alcometer that Stig included in my order for you.

Talk soon
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby Carol » Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:35 pm

Good that the reset button worked. I can't remember if I had to turn it off and then on again and then reset. At least you know it is operational.

And you have samples from Wellsy! I don't think tomato paste works too well with the air still. Weet bix might be better.
Carol
Mentor

equipment: Still Spirits Air Still
FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)
FSD 2" pot still ( aka Natasha)

Postby mike23000 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:21 pm

TPW is all I ever used
mike23000

equipment: 2" Alcoengine on digiboil boiler
Air Still

Postby The Stig » Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:13 pm

mike23000 wrote:TPW is all I ever used

Your not running a very basic pot still .
Running TPW through an air still will produce a really weak, tomato soup with alcohol .
I’ve done it and it’s not good
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Wellsy » Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:44 pm

Just to let everyone know that Dam has had some issues getting started so I have grabbed his airstill to test a theory as to why it stops working. I suspect that it is struggling because it was not on a flat surface. So our new plan is to run some old spirit through it to give it a good clean. Ferment an AWAB wash. And once fermented we will run the still the way the supplier suggests and then the way the forum suggests and taste the results.
This is a fantastic little still that suits Sams needs and space perfect. We just need to figure what gets the best results for the least work.
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby Sam Smythe » Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:38 pm

Thank you everyone. I am reading every comment made, and taking each and every one of them into consideration. Having said that, I haven't been on here quite as often, that is probably more out of disappointment that I have made water rather than any other reason. I have sooo much to learn. OK, a lot of you are you are saying a TPW is not good, especially Carol, I respect that you are saying that Carol given you use or have used an air still in the past. Stig, I am sorry, I have just reread your post as well. OK, I am convinced. No TPW, and thank you too for your input Stig (are you sure you're not the Stig's Aussie cousin?? Yeah, I was a Top Gear fan too lol)
I am not going to make another wash in the very near future, not unless Wellsy can work out what is going on with mine, or I get it replaced. Being a pensioner, funds are at a premium. In the meantime, I am enjoying the samples he brought round. Damn, they are a nice drop, and I want to go public and say what an awesome, helpful and friendly bloke he is in person! Anybody who gets to meet this man should consider themself fortunate.
Last edited by Sam Smythe on Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sam Smythe

Postby Wellsy » Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:55 am

Now Sam you need to remember, not that i have drunk a lot of water, but the water you made I thought tasted bloody fabulous :laughing-rolling:
Wellsy

Postby Sam Smythe » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:01 pm

Smartarse lol :teasing-neener: :))
Sam Smythe

Postby Wellsy » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:46 pm

OK Sam so we got your sense of humour back mate, next we got your still producing spirit for it's cleaning run.

We are currently waiting for a WBAB to finish so we can experiment on what gives the best taste for the least effort.

Hang in there as we are baby step our way to a great outcome for you
Wellsy

Postby Sam Smythe » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:20 pm

Wellsy, you're a legend! If you were a girl, I'd kiss ya :romance-kisscheek: Don't like your whiskers though :teasing-neener:
Last edited by Sam Smythe on Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sam Smythe

Postby RuddyCrazy » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:35 pm

Sam Smythe wrote:Wellsy, you're a legend! If you were a girl, I'd kiss ya :romance-kisscheek: Don't like your whiskers though :teasing-neener:

Eh Sam just close ya eyes mate and think your kissing elswhere :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Wellsy » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:00 pm

No wonder I love kissing you Bryan :laughing-rolling:
Wellsy

Postby RuddyCrazy » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:26 pm

Wellsy wrote:No wonder I love kissing you Bryan :laughing-rolling:

Keep going like that mate and I'll give ya a liverpudden kiss :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby The Stig » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:29 pm

RuddyCrazy wrote:
Wellsy wrote:No wonder I love kissing you Bryan :laughing-rolling:

Keep going like that mate and I'll give ya a liverpudden kiss :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Nobody wins with a Kiss.
Just fucking make up ok :text-lol:
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Wellsy » Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:54 am

But Bryan looks so cute when he gets mad :laughing-rolling:
Wellsy

Postby Sam Smythe » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:18 am

You guys crack me up. Pissing myself laughing. Dunno which comment was funnier, let's call it a draw. Although kissing Wellsy might be like kissing a ducks arse. You blow, and then kiss, but you've got to be quick :)) :happy-partydance:
Sam Smythe

Postby RuddyCrazy » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:47 am

Sam Smythe wrote:You guys crack me up. Although kissing Wellsy might be like kissing a ducks arse. :)) :happy-partydance:

Sam why are you insulting ducks :laughing-rolling:
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby Sam Smythe » Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:10 pm

Sorry people, I haven't posted because I have had nothing to report. My first wash was a wipeout, and I also couldn't get my still to work. Wellsy, bless him, got involved. He took my still and played with it. He has used it several times without issue. He believes the issue may have been that it was not on a flat surface, it was slanting a little. I don't wan't to hear any backchat about that. Sure, he may be wrong, but the facts fit! I can set the still up on a flat bench in my workshop, and based on what Wellsy has done it should work fine.
He also dropped in again with bottles of neutral spirit made from my airstill under differing conditions. One wasn't too flash, but the others were awesome. He also didn't skimp on the quantity, bringing round 5 bottles of spirit.
I have had a dream for a long time to have a home cocktail bar, which is a big part of the reason for attempting to get into distilling. With what Wellsy has done for me, together with another mate, Jack, who stumped up some funds, I am on the way.
This is not the correct forum to discuss this, but I am not sure where to raise a topic on my dream, my bucket list, where I am at with it it etc. I am open to suggestions. I would like to talk about cocktails I have made and show pics of the home made versions. ATM, they are done with Wellsy's spirit, but between us, we are working on that!
Again, thank you all for your input in getting me started, and apologies for going quiet, but my feeling is if there's no news, why post? Hope you agree
Last edited by Sam Smythe on Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sam Smythe

Postby Wellsy » Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:35 pm

Bloody hell Sam, having nothing to say never stopped me from posting anything :laughing-rolling:

Throw up a couple of pics of what you have done
Wellsy

PreviousNext

Return to Beginners Questions