Day 11

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Re: Day 11

Postby Carol » Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:36 pm

Looks like you are well on the way. Gold star to Wellsy for getting it sorted. Looking forward to seeing your cocktails.
Cheers Carol
Carol
Mentor

equipment: Still Spirits Air Still
FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)
FSD 2" pot still ( aka Natasha)

Postby Sam Smythe » Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:49 pm

Thanks Carol, and yeah, he's a legend!
Here's the pics to date. Not wasting money on fancy garnishes....being a pensioner is hard lol, but here is what I have done with Wellsy's spirits so far. And thanks again for your input. You are amongst those who have kept me sane.

Dark and Stormy I have the essence (or is it flavour?) to put in his spirit
Cuba Libre I had bought a bottle of Bacardi)
Bloody Mary, Wellsy's vodka. Made some yesterday. the tomato juice was too sweet for me, so I upped the spices today. Way better, got a nice bite

I'm open to other suggestions for cocktails....I have about 20 or so on file
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Sam Smythe on Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sam Smythe

equipment: AirStill

Postby Sam Smythe » Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:52 pm

Notice the glasses are all the same? That's all I've got. Pensioner... :cry:
Sam Smythe

Postby Sam Smythe » Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:59 pm

And Wellsy, I had noticed on your few visits...you are definitely not short on something to say, whether you have something to say or not lol. Just kidding mate :D
Sam Smythe

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:04 pm

So Sam did you get your air still working ? now if so I can send you over the ingredients for making my licorice root vodka where you can steep them in some of that neutral Wellsy gave you and after a week do the run and lets see if your taste buds leave for a week or not so we can prove beyond doubt Wellsy is a Collingwood supporter :laughing-rolling:
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Carol » Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:06 pm

Nice cocktails. For fancy glasses have a look at your local oppie. I help out at an oppie and we sell glasses that are not in a full set for 50 cents each.
Cheers Carol
Carol
Mentor

FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)

Postby Sam Smythe » Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:37 pm

Thanks Carol. Will do.
Sam Smythe

Postby Wellsy » Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:42 pm

The Vodka Sam is using is all from his own Airstill. So he knows it can produce the goods.

Now with a bit of patience he will be producing it for himself from a simple WBAB wash.

It costs me roughly $44:00 for a 200 litre wash so that’s 2:20 for his 10 litre barrel. Even. Pensioner can get into this hobby
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby Sam Smythe » Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:46 pm

RuddyCrazy (sorry, please refresh me...I'm old lol. It's Bryan right?).
Anyhoo, I can guarantee you Wellsy is most definitely NOT a Colliwobble supporter. I would have smelt him out way before he got through the front gate. Colliwobbles is a dirty 12 letter word here and they should all be shot on sight lol.
On a side note, what's got 20 arms, 20 legs and 8 teeth? The front row of the Colliwobble cheer squad :D
Sam Smythe

Postby Sam Smythe » Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:58 pm

How much spirit do you get out of your 200l wash mate? And let's be realistic. I need to get a 10l wash working first
Sam Smythe

Postby Wellsy » Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:15 pm

Last one got me about 10 litres of vodka at 77%.

You will be fine next time mate, you are off and running and now know what a fantastic still you have as it suits your needs perfectly.
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby Sam Smythe » Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:30 pm

So reduced to 40%, that's something like 15 litres of spirit? Off my head, didn't do the calculation. Not a bad outcome for the dollar input!
Sam Smythe

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:48 pm

Sam PM me your address and I'll send over the ingredients to make this licorice vodka :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Mate I just love your sense of humour :laughing-rolling:

Learning this craft is a long road and like I said in the past one step at a time mate. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Wellsy has given you the heads up and it is great a member of this forum did stand up to help you.

Mate read read and read this forum now did I say read :laughing-rolling: it's the best way to learn mate.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Sam Smythe » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:02 pm

Another one Carol....Moscow Mule, again thanks to Wellsy's vodka.
Surely there is another topic where I can talk about this rather than in the beginners area? Sure, I am a beginner, and haven't made a viable wash yet, but I fell this is an inappropriate place to be making these posts. Any suggestions?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sam Smythe

Postby Carol » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:41 pm

That looks nice too. Maybe you post the actual recipe with the photo so others can try the recipe.
Cheers
Carol
Carol
Mentor

FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)

Postby Professor Green » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:50 pm

Hi Sam. Those cocktail pics are making my mouth water.

Feel free to start a cocktail recipe thread in The Dunder Pit to post your cocktail pictures and the associated recipes. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Sam Smythe » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:16 am

Thanks Carol, and thanks Professor Green for where to start a topic. I will do so, but not today. The brm brms are on at Bathurst :happy-partydance: Never do today that which you can put off til tomorrow lol
Last edited by Sam Smythe on Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sam Smythe

Postby Sam Smythe » Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:41 pm

Professor Green, due to your comment, and Carol's request, I have opened a topic in the dunder pit. I have called it The Cocktail Stop. Have a sqiz, I would love to get your feedback
Sam Smythe

Postby Sam Smythe » Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:31 pm

I have my second wash on....finally, after a lot of input from Wellsy, Carol, RuddyCrazy and The Stig to name just a few. Thank you all!!! It went on today...2/3/21 at about 8:00pm
This time I have gone with wbab wash and bakers yeast, working on a recipe suggested by Carol and Wellsy (yeah, you two guys will keep getting your names up in lights :smile: )
Another really stupid newbie question though. I have a scientific background, (not biology though, which working with yeast possibly needs). I am/was intending to measure the SG daily and record it, or should I just leave it alone?
Also, once the fermentation is complete, should I add finings, or just leave it to settle on it's own?
Thanks in advance people.
Sam Smythe

Postby Wellsy » Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:53 am

It is always a good idea to take a ready at the beginning Sam, and at the end.

Daily readings will give you a record of what happened when if things go wrong, but that is purely optional.

WBAB does not need finings, and does not particularly clear well. Your still will easily handle the uncleared wash as you have a concealed element just don’t over fill it and leave the dregs in the bottom of the fermenter.

You could always decant the wash into your glass demijons this time so you could see the wash settling. Decanting means you can get the next batch on the go 1 or 2 days earlier.

Save your money for more useful things mate, the stuff your still made that I brought around did not having any finings added and you know that worked :)
Wellsy

Previous

Return to Beginners Questions