Day 11

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Re: Day 11

Postby The Stig » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:43 am

WOW never seen a turbo pack like that before :laughing-rolling:
But it clearly says 10L so that should be fine
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby RuddyCrazy » Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:12 am

The Stig wrote:WOW never seen a turbo pack like that before :laughing-rolling:
But it clearly says 10L so that should be fine

Same here thats the first time and last time I hope to see a turbo pack :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Tesla101 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:20 pm

I don't reckon that's the "Turbo Yeast Pack" that most of us are familiar with (that has all of chemical crap in it).

At 10g per pack I reckon it's just the yeast, since it says to add the yeast nutrients.

I've read somewhere that "Turbo" yeast is basically re-packaged champagne yeast - works very well at higher temps and a large pH range.
Tesla101

equipment: ......

Postby RuddyCrazy » Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:28 pm

Tesla101 wrote:

I've read somewhere that "Turbo" yeast is basically re-packaged champagne yeast - works very well at higher temps and a large pH range.

That one had me on the floor laughing :teasing-tease: so some idiot put on the net that turbo yeast is just EC1118 yeast :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

does that mean with that group buy we did a couple of years ago for the EC1118 was just unlabelled turbo yeast :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Last edited by RuddyCrazy on Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Wellsy » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:19 pm

I tipping it was read on a facebook post lol
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby Tesla101 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:00 pm

RuddyCrazy wrote:
Tesla101 wrote:

That one had me on the floor laughing :teasing-tease: so some idiot put on the net that turbo yeast is just EC1118 yeast :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

does that mean with that group buy we did a couple of years ago for the EC1118 was just unlabelled turbo yeast :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Haha, you may laugh but Turbo yeast is a mix of dry yeast (Saccharomyces cerevisiae) and nutrition "optimised" for the yeast. EC1118 is also classified as a Saccharomyces cerevisiae.

I'm not going to get into the whole Turbo yeast shit storm. I used one pack of the Pure Turbo Yeast, Carbon And Turbo Clear (Triple Pack) for a sac run, (because it came with the HBS kit I bought before I found this great forum) which convinced me enough to never use it again.

But if we're talking about "just the yeast" without all the added crap, then yeah Turbo is made from the same yeast species as EC-1118.
Tesla101

equipment: ......

Postby Sam Smythe » Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:25 pm

Sorry, I haven't answered because I am Wayyy out of my depth. Have I done the wrong thing using turbo yeast? It appears you guys have very different ideas, which I will liken to Ford v Holden, but I really need to know....have I done the wrong thing, or should I be using something different for my next wash, and if so, what?
Thanks in advance
Sam Smythe

equipment: AirStill

Postby BigRig » Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:18 pm

I think you will find what sam has / is using is the air still companion pack. It comes with a 10 L fermenter and a turbo yeast pack which is sufficient for an 8L wash thus giving the ability of 2 still runs in the 4L air still. It is the same stuff as the turbo yeast we are familiar with just in a smaller "intro" pack which also includes the activated charcoal filter and plastic collection container.

Sam, like you i started with the turbo route and after hanging around here for a while learnt that turbo products are expensive and simply put are just not that nice.

You do need to learn somewhere so have fun and experiment with the pack but quickly move away from the turdbos and do a wbab wash with cuts. You will be better off for it.
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby Sam Smythe » Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:58 pm

Thanks BigRig, I appreciate your reply and advice. And yes, you are absolutely correct. I bought a $300 air still kit on line. I accept what you and everybody else are saying, but I still have no idea what the alternatives are. I am on a disability pension (lung disease) and need to keep it as cheap as possible, which is why I bought the AirStill pack in the first place...something to do as well as keeping alcohol costs down
Sam Smythe

Postby BigRig » Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:20 am

If you look at it purely on a price comparison consider this then.

A turbo classic 8 pack will cost you $44.95 on any given online store. This will be enough for a 25L wash of up to 20% ABV. > 20% of 25L wash is equivalent to 5L total available alcohol. $44.95/5L is $8.99 per litre.

A tomato paste wash is
$4 for half kilo tomato paste (this is enough for 2 batches) = $2 a batch
$5 for 5kg white sugar
$4.20 for 280grams of lowan bakers yeast (enough for 4 or 5 batches) = $1 a batch
This equates to $8 for a 25L wash of up to 10% ABV. > 10% of 25L wash is equivalent to 2.5L total available alcohol. $8/2.5L is $3.20 a litre.

Pricing would be similar for the wbab wash which the people here are suggesting. Recipe here > viewtopic.php?f=32&t=170
Last edited by BigRig on Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby Carol » Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:10 am

Home brand tomato paste at $1.25 works fine. So even cheaper.
Carol
Mentor

equipment: Still Spirits Air Still
FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)
FSD 2" pot still ( aka Natasha)

Postby chipboy » Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:28 am

And just to reassure you, I have a mate with an airstill and he makes quite good whisky so it will do what you want, once you get a handle on it.
chipboy

equipment: 50 litre keg, insulated and 4 plates at 4 inch. Home made mash tun.

Postby The Stig » Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:13 pm

I will also say, my 80 year old mum still runs an air still and turbos , she’s happy and that’s all that matters no matter what I tell her :laughing-rolling:
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Sam Smythe » Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:35 pm

Thanks chipboy, and thanks Stig. Yeah Stig, I was a fan of the show too until Clarkson got too big for his boots and made a dick of himself.
Now I have another problem...I have misplaced my finings. Yes, I could go to the home brew shop and buy more, but with coronaviris around and me with a lung disease, I am not real keen going into shops. Is there any sort of workaround? My wash is ready for it now. And how long can it stay as is in the fermentation bucket before distilling?
I am seriously for all the questions I am asking, and which are no doubt very commonplace to you, but seriously I have no idea at the moment.
Sam Smythe

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:41 pm

The Stig wrote:I will also say, my 80 year old mum still runs an air still and turbos , she’s happy and that’s all that matters no matter what I tell her :laughing-rolling:

You stingy Scotsman :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: what with xmas just gone why didn't you give her a 5 star bubbler with the works then she could show you how to make a good gin :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Now Sam not sure where you are but if your in a city you should be able to get home delivery, now if you put in your location I'm sure on the members can source a fermenter for you so you can get started. Like if your in SA I can loan you a fermenter to get you going but if your over in the Eastern states don't ask me to drive over there, spend 2 weeks in isolation and another 2 on the way home. :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby Sam Smythe » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:15 pm

Wow Ruddy Crazy. Is that an attack on me? Yeah, stingy bastard, probably, but not having done this before, I sure as hell wasn't to spend thousands on something until I know it worked. If you can't or wont accept that, then please don't post any more comments on this thread. I am a newbie that needs help, and your comment doesn't!
Sam Smythe

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:21 pm

Sam Smythe wrote:Wow Ruddy Crazy. Is that an attack on me? Yeah, stingy bastard, probably, but not having done this before, I sure as hell wasn't to spend thousands on something until I know it worked. If you can't or wont accept that, then please don't post any more comments on this thread. I am a newbie that needs help, and your comment doesn't!

Sam you have taken me out of context as that quote was to the Stig as a joke and it clearly shows that :handgestures-thumbupleft: The rest of my thread I was trying to help you, now we do encourage members to put a rough location even it is only state based and the comment on home delivery was you could get everything needed to start a WBAB.

As you have stated with your condition you don't want to out into a shopping centre so thats where the fermenter offer came about.

Regards Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby The Stig » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:34 pm

Sam Smythe wrote:I have misplaced my finings. Yes, I could go to the home brew shop and buy more, but with coronaviris around and me with a lung disease.

Dont take the chance mate, you can do without the extra drama of a virus and you can do without the finings. Just leave it a few extra days or a week, it will clear itself. You can leave a wash in a fermenter for months as long as there is water in the air lock and the lid is sealed tight

RuddyCrazy wrote:You stingy Scotsman :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: what with xmas just gone why didn't you give her a 5 star bubbler with the works then she could show you how to make a good gin :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

I have offered but she aint interested at all, the little kettle is easy to work with
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Wellsy » Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:15 pm

Stig tried to give me the same line when I suggested the same thing to him prior to Christmas Bryan.
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby Sam Smythe » Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:30 pm

If I took you out of context Brian then I apologise wholeheartedly.
Best regards, Sam
Sam Smythe

PreviousNext

Return to Beginners Questions