Day 11

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Re: Day 11

Postby Carol » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:45 am

Wellsy
I think the air stills can take 4 litres at a time. I found that I needed some broken crockery on the bottom (in a spirit run) to stop the lid lifting off. Sam - add broken china to the list of things to get.
Cheers
Carol
Carol
Mentor

equipment: Still Spirits Air Still
FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)
FSD 2" pot still ( aka Natasha)

Postby Wellsy » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:06 am

Thanks Carol
The offer still stands Sam, I just put down a 200 litre wash so I would normally spill 4 litres, so if I take care I won’t even miss the 4 litres I give you if you want it :)
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby Sam Smythe » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:49 pm

Hi guys,
I don't want to sound ungrateful, that is most definitely not the case. I seriously respect the input of all of you, especially you Wellsy with your exceptionally generous offer., which I will take up shortly if it still stands.
At the moment however, I have found my finings and added them. It is clearing out nicely, and I will leave it the suggested 24 hours to clear. I also found the stirrer included with the kit ( which I was pissed off it didn't include....apparently). Stupid me, doh! I didn't take everything out of the box.
Anyway, at this point I am doing what pretty much all of you have said, be patient! The wash should be clear enough at 10am tomorrow to decant and distill, and I have a Bundaberg rum flavoured essence ( is it a flavour or essence?)
Anyway, tomorrow should be distil day, chuck 50ml at the start, whiche the destructions say is not necessary, but I will anyway, add 400ml of water to the 800ml out of the still to cut it back to 40%and then filter through a carbon cartridge which I believe takes a while, add flavour, and then sit back and enjoy (or otherwise) my first attempt.
I am going very much by the destructions in the box for the first (and maybe 2nd and 3rd attempts, but as Bryan said to me....baby steps.
I have a lot to learn, and I need to digest the awesome information you have all imparted.
One thing I have picked up on is that a lot of you ( if not most) obtain a somewhat flavoured distilled alcohol at the end of the process. I am aiming, at least for now for a neutral alcohol that I can add flavour to.
Sincere regards to all of you and wish me luck
Sam
Sam Smythe

equipment: AirStill

Postby RuddyCrazy » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:58 pm

G'Day Sam,
Best of luck on your first run mate and I hope it all goes to plan, now when Wellsy brings over that 4 litres I reckon you see a huge difference and mate welcome to the club. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Sam Smythe » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:01 pm

Thank you! Thank you all!!! Just give me a couple of days to process all the information I have been given. I am sincerely grateful. And Wellsy, is a pm an option in a few days? By that I mean can I pm you?
Regards, Sam
Last edited by Sam Smythe on Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sam Smythe

Postby Wellsy » Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:39 pm

Gidday Sam
What you are doing is perfect mate as it will give you a good reference point when comparing different washes. By taking baby steps mate you are more likely to be able to comprehend everything people have been suggesting.

You are welcome to PM me anytime. With this hot weather my WBAB wash is going off like a frog in a sock. I understand how vital it is that you do n9t get infected with this insidious disease so won’t be offended if you prefer me to dump the wash and run. We can always have a catch up another day. Everyone needs to stay safe and be comfortable with what and whom they have contact with

The learning goes on and on :) and I am only just starting out myself, I don’t know a lot I am just confident :laughing-rolling:
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby Sam Smythe » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:23 pm

Wellsy, I sent you a PM, but I'm not sure it went through. I am an old bugger, and very new to this forum stuff. If you haven't received it, let me know, and I will try again
Sam Smythe

Postby Sam Smythe » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:27 pm

Oh, and Carol, the kit I bought came with ceramic saddles, but I will keep your tip in mind and keep the remains of any plates or cups I drop :dance:
Sam Smythe

Postby Wellsy » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:34 pm

I did not get the PM Sam so I am not sure what happened

I sent you a pm so now you just need to hit the reply button and I will get it
Wellsy

Postby Carol » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:01 pm

Ceramic saddles should sort it. My air still is over ten years old - no ceramic saddles with the kit then.
Carol
Mentor

FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)

Postby Sam Smythe » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:03 pm

Well, I set my still up today to distil my wash finally, and I told you all I would report back on the result.
There is no result! I put 4 l of wash in the still, added the ceramic saddles and conditioner as per destructions, plugged the still in and turned it on thinking awesome, some home made alcohol finally. But....nothing! The damn thing doesn't work. The element is not heating, the condensing fan is not rotating, it is as dead as a dodo! I have tried a couple of different powerpoints with no effect, and also plugged in other 240V appliances to the same powerpoints, which worked. It is the unit itself. It's stuffed. To say I am pissed off is an understatement!
I hope you all are having a happier Australia Day than I am
Sam Smythe

Postby Carol » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:27 pm

Hi Sam Is there a reset button at the front of the still. Sometimes my air still would not start and pressing this button ( sometimes more than once) and the fan would start whirring again. Maybe google for a more comprehensive answer.
Carol
Carol
Mentor

FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)

Postby Sam Smythe » Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:22 pm

Well, I left it plugged in and turned on. The element is definitely heating. I can feel the temp and hear bubbling in the pot. After 75 mins, the fan is still not working. Something is coming out of the spout into the collection jug, although I have no idea what it is. With no condensing fan and the still obviously boiling, am I distilling alcohol or the complete wash? I'm guessing I should abandon this brew, talk to the retailer, get it replaced and try again!
And thanks Carol, yeah, I had seen the reset button and did what you suggested. It made no difference
Sam Smythe

Postby Wellsy » Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:28 pm

Hang in there sam
The biggest advantage of dealing with a retailer is the after sales.
It all part of the learning mate
Wellsy

Postby Carol » Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:30 pm

Sometimes I found I need to reset more than once. I can't exactly remember the details but it definitely got it going again. Try google for more information on the process. When I used the air still it would take about an hour to heat up.
Carol
Mentor

FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)

Postby Sam Smythe » Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:42 pm

I've tried it a dozen times Carol, no joy.
Wellsy, I'm pissed off! The retailer was an online sale based in Perth. They were $100 cheaper than the local bloke. I guess I know why now. Anyway, I have shot off an email to them so let's see what happens.
ATM, I'm kind of giving up. There have been too many headaches with it
Sam Smythe

Postby Wellsy » Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:56 pm

Hang in there Sam
I will drop you in some of my vodka and bourbon when I drop off the wash mate.
Hopefully that will inspire you to keep trying mate. All my stuff is under 3 months old, the vodka is only days old lol.
It is just a nice feeling to be drinking stuff you have made yourself.
Wellsy

Postby Sam Smythe » Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:59 pm

Thanks Wellsy, sorry, I am just really disheartened atm. By the way, did you get my pm response? I really appreciate your offer, and yeah sure, I would love to meet you and talk turkey, but to be honest, in spite of your generous offer re the wash, there's no point if I don't have a working still. As I said previously, it is still on and dripping, but I don't know whether to trust the output. As far as I know, it could be anything from methanol to water and/or everything in between
Last edited by Sam Smythe on Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sam Smythe

Postby Carol » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:02 pm

Nice one Wellsy!
Carol
Mentor

FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)

Postby Sam Smythe » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:07 pm

Carol....damn, I was looking for a thumbs up emoji but can't find one. Anyway, a big thumbs up to you, and I concur
Sam Smythe

PreviousNext

Return to Beginners Questions