Port Barrel Rum

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Port Barrel Rum

Postby SBB » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:57 pm

Just over 2 months ago I ran my first batch of rum through the Bubbler. At the time i was asking a lot of questions about aging and barrel types, I was also hoping to buy a decent sized barrel new from "Roll Out The Barrel". For variouse reasons that still hasnt happened.
I ended up putting 5L of the rum in a old 5L barrel that had previously had a mix of cheap Port and Muskat in it.
After extensive taste testing at the Draino residence last night we decieded it was time to bottle it.
Decanted it into a demijohn today and I reckon its pretty bloody good for my first go. It came out a much deeper colour than i thought it would and tastes damn good.
No photos at this stage, but they will appear soon.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Port Barrel Rum

Postby Rumdrinker » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:49 pm

Hi SBB,
Good to hear you got a good outcome with your rum.
I'm only just getting in to doing full molasses washes for rum & experimenting with oaking & aging. I have a couple of barrels that have been used for port & bourbon that I'm going to put some rum in for a few months to see how it goes.
Did you oak your rum on anything else prior to putting in the port barrel?
What abv did you oak it at?
Cheers
Rumdrinker

equipment: Electric & HP gas Keg boilers. 4" pot still for stripping & rum, Bubbler in the making.....

Re: Port Barrel Rum

Postby SBB » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:40 pm

No mate I didnt oak it at all before hand......just filled the barrel to the top and left it for two months. Well we did have a few sample sessions over that period of time .....but just topped it up again. Stuck it in the barrel at 65% ABV.....just go carefully when ya watering down to 65% take into account the temp of ya ALC and water if you want a true reading.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby SBB » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:51 pm

Draining the barrel

Had trouble getting a photo that shows the true colour but its pretty dark
SBB
Lifetime Member

Port Barrel Rum

Postby Rumdrinker » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:17 am

Good stuff, I'll fill the barrels with 65% & age them for a few months & see how it goes. Taste test every few weeks of coarse.......
Nice copper funnel, where do you get those?
Rumdrinker

equipment: Electric & HP gas Keg boilers. 4" pot still for stripping & rum, Bubbler in the making.....

Postby MacStill » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:21 am

Rumdrinker wrote:Nice copper funnel, where do you get those?

PM this fella ;-)

http://www.aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=975
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Return to Beginners Questions