fermenting grapes and distilling

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

fermenting grapes and distilling

Postby 8-ball » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:45 pm

hi all i was wondering as im moving into my new house in a week or 2 there is a grape vine there with an abundance of grapes and wondering if i could ferment and distill them and what i would get out of them ? they are a black grape with a white flesh??

any help would be good

cheers 8-Ball
8-ball

equipment: t500, 25lt boiler ( used 6 times )
2" simple pot, (sits ontop of the 2 plater )
gas + 3.6kw electric 80l keg with 6in opening
2 x 4" perforated plate with 2in shotty

Re: fermenting grapes and distilling

Postby Sam. » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:24 pm

Grappa? If you ferment the grapes and make a crude wine then distill then drink it straight off a pot still like the old timers do, then you have grappa. :puke-huge:

If you have heaps I guess you could run it through a reflux and make nuetrel.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby SBB » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:48 pm

If you turn them to wine then distill that wine and age on oak you should have Brandy If you keep the skins seeds stalks and other rubbish from this process and referment the resulting wash you will have grappa............thats my understanding anyway. Be warned though.....making good grappa aint as easy as most would have you believe. Do a search of some of the other forums if you want more detail.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby 8-ball » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:58 pm

there appears to be heaps there maybe about 10 20l buckets full and i aint eating that many grapes although i like grapes,

ill give it a go and report back with my findings its 2 weeks till we move in so ill pick and start a ferment then
8-ball

Postby R-sole » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:05 am

Beautiful free sugar.

Grapes are the highest in sugar of all the fruits, and brandy is a really nice spirit. I also love grappa 8-)
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby 8-ball » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:26 pm

is there any recipes that you know of :think: that i should take note of?

maybe jump on some home made wine forums ?
i thinks it needs special nutrients?? NFI really

i like Port - make some port - invite me over - profit (well at least have a laugh at my drunkenness)?
8-ball

Postby R-sole » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:10 pm

Yes i'd be searching wine forums. But in the basic end, wine is crushed grapes and yeast.

If you're making it to drink you're going to want to pay attention to yeast and acid and all the rest of the things that winemakers do. if you're making it to distill, a bit of bulk wine yeast, some dap and a bit of time to ferment to dry is all you want.
Grapes have a lot of yeast nutrient in there already.

I'd reccomend stripping half and then adding it to a half charge of wash for a 1.5 times distillation. Good quantities, easy cuts and still good flavour.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby maheel » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:43 pm

5Star wrote:I'd reccomend stripping half and then adding it to a half charge of wash for a 1.5 times distillation. Good quantities, easy cuts and still good flavour.

thats really good thinking !!

also just pressed the edit button :angry-banghead: on the above post instead of quote, not sure if it now says "edited" but it wasn't :doh:
maheel

Postby 8-ball » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:46 am

8-ball wrote:is there any recipes that you know of :think: that i should take note of?

maybe jump on some home made wine forums ?
i thinks it needs special nutrients?? NFI really

i like Port - make some port - invite me over - profit (well at least have a laugh at my drunkenness)?

i didnt type this :laughing-rolling:
8-ball

Postby R-sole » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:39 am

Yes, there's been some dicking round in this thread, hard to see what's gone on though. Still a good post though :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
R-sole

Return to Beginners Questions