questions questions questions

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

questions questions questions

Postby erehwon » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:41 am

after lurking on this site for some time I have come to the conclusion that the more I read the more confussed I get. To start with LM,VM,BOKA,POT STILL, AIR STILL I know that they are all types of stills but which one would suit a beginner. Then there is the fermentation vessel do I get a 30 l or a 60 l or what or both. SWMBO and I have already drunk the first batches :handgestures-thumbupleft:, and now I want to make a float as a back stop so I do not have to brew as often, instead of nearly every week and the usual 14 hours with the air still at 4 l at a time. All that I want is a stock of good spirit that I can dilute filter and put some aside for stock and sitting on chips, is that to much to ask for. Am looking at a Keg-o-max? with either a 50 or 80 l boiler with a 77cm x 50 mm reflux column packed with stainless steel pot scrubbers with a copper one on the top. Attached to that is a condenser which is also attached to a water jacket incorporated in the top of the column. Do I have to have boiler full less 10% for foaming, or can I use a half full boiler. Once I am set up I can expt with the flavours please help :text-thankyoublue:
erehwon

equipment: 30l fermentation vat, alcohol meter, airstill

Re: questions questions questions

Postby MacStill » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:50 am

There's a lot to digest for a beginner isnt there? but dont stress out it'll all become clear soon enough.

Dont go rushing out spending big bucks on a commercially built still, there's some pretty talented guys on here that can build you one to suit your requirements :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby erehwon » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:22 am

All I have to find is some one in cairns FNQ who would be willing to to assist withe welding and making it
erehwon

Postby Kimbo » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:30 am

Hi Mate, to help answer your questions, you/we will need to know what you want to make, how much you consume etc,
keep us posted and we'll help you the best we can :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby Cane Toad » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:19 pm

Hi mate,don't sweat the small stuff,I haven't been doing it all that long myself,once you get into the swing of things you'll find it's not all that hard.But first things first,what is it you want to make?Bourbon,Rum,Neutral,it's all relevant.
It's a good climate for fermenting in Cairns,I'm only a couple of hours south :handgestures-thumbupleft: So let us know what you want to make and we'll take it from there :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby erehwon » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:04 pm

Well between family and close friends we are drinking about 5 bottles per week, but when we go camping the the sky is the limit as there is no work to go to the next day. So I guess that I will have to make enough to cater for that and also to make a stock pile of the required poison so another 20 l or so for the stock pile which is not occuring I have got a full time job breaking even. Even so I have got no skill in welding or fabricating metal, or soldering for that matter. So at the moment I would like to make neutral spirit and then put some on wood chips to try and improve the flavour either by multi distilling or multi filtering or a combination of all the above. Once I have got a stock pile I can then try other forms of getting what I want to drink with steeping and distilling which include the flavour in the one procedure, but first I will have to learn the basics. So if I could get the plans or links to show how to make the column and the condenser and how to link the two togeather. Now to sort out the boiler what sort, how to heat with gas or element,is it possible to place thermostat to control the heat as in a catering tea urn. I suppose I could go on for ever with questions. All help appreciated. Thanks a lot Big Don have sent you a pm
erehwon

Postby Cane Toad » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:58 pm

:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: Take a breath Mate :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: What I meant is,what do YOU drink? If done properly there's no need for filtering or flavoring.There's something for every taste here :handgestures-thumbupleft:
As for boiler set up,it's really personal preference,gas or erectric,both work great,next time you're down the local half cut,and about to stumble home,just chuck an empty keg on the shoulder,best bloody boiler you'll get :handgestures-thumbupleft:
But what we need is a bit more info,just so we can point you in the right direction :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby erehwon » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:48 pm

The main drinks are red rum and bourbon with an occaisional bottle of vodka and may be some liquors.
erehwon

Postby erehwon » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:10 pm

Just a quick query. Saw what was described as atogeather 2 in 1 column. Join the two parts togeather and you have a reflux when screwed into the top of the boiler. Unscrew them and when screwed into the lid of the boiler of the boiler you then have a pot still. Your advise wanted.
erehwon

Postby MacStill » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:21 pm

Any LM still can pretty much be configured that way, I've made a few boks that you can remove the column and just run the head as a pot still.

http://www.aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=956#p10750
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Return to Beginners Questions