more noob questions

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

more noob questions

Postby darbwah » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:22 pm

hey guys
ive been searching the site but cant find the exact answer im after. if im using a pot still what is the best alcohol % i can hope for? around 50%? if so do i just dilute to 40% and i can use it to make scotch or whatever? seems most of you only use pots to strip it and then put it through a reflux etc. would i be better off with something other than a pot still? or can i run it through twice or slower to get higher abv? i was thinking i was gonna be getting like 80-90% but the more i read the more i think i might be better off building a reflux or something. i probly be making mainly scotch and rum.
cheers
darbwah

equipment: 2" boka. 50l keg boiler. 2200w

Re: more noob questions

Postby Cane Toad » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:57 pm

Hi Darb,will you be making your scotch and rum using molasses etc or using flavorings?
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby maheel » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:02 pm

got a picture mate ? then we can think up some ideas

to increase your ABV% could try things like

stuff it with scrubbers and run slow
wrap around the top near the take off on the outside, some thin poly hose or copper 1/4" and run some water through it to give a reflux zone that you can control to some degree.
strip your wash (or strip a few) and re run it at a higher abv (max 40%)

yes you can just water anything down and flavour it.... depends on what you want and what it tastes like etc.

i use a lot of TPW,i strip it in my pot and then reflux it looking for nice clean hearts. i mkae my cuts and maybe loose a lot that i consider not good enough.
if i was using a grain based sugar head i might keep more (or maybe less) depending on what i am looking for.

i get a bit of 60-65% at the beginning of my strips but it all mixes in to about 35-40% by the time i am done. so if you make cuts the 1st bit may be higher %
maheel

Postby darbwah » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:14 pm

i havent started building one yet, i was gonna make a pot still but ive been reading more and more and im not sure if it is what i need to use. i was gonna just make neutral stuff and add flavour to it. is a pot still any good for that or should i make a boka? ive never soldered before so thought a pot would be a good start but if it doesnt suit what i want to do, id rather make the right type straight up.
darbwah

Postby maheel » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:21 pm

for the best neutral your going to need a reflux still

two good designs are BOKA or a VM (vapor management)
but IMO you also need a pot to strip wash to then use in the reflux.

you can unpack a reflux to get it to run a little faster to use as a stripper.

out of interest whats your location ?
maheel

Postby R-sole » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:24 pm

Flavouring neutral is a second rate method of making spirits in my opinion. Like setting out to buy powdered milk. Sorry if that upsets some on here, but it's my honest opinion, and the opinion i hear from other stillers who've tried mine versus there's. :teasing-tease:

If you want brown spirits the best tool for the job is a potstill. Most recipes call for stripping the wash in your potstill and running a second time, either adjusting the cahrge abv with wash down so the output from the second run is at your ageing strength, or watering it down after the second run to ageing strength.

Look through the proven recipe section, if Bourbon is your drink then ujsm is the starting point for you. If it's rum then a mollasses wash, Scotch or Irish whiskey then it's malt barley wash ect. 8-)

Neutral is best reserved for macerations with fruit or spices or for mixing with fruit juice or lemonade for tasteless alcohol cocktails. Even sipping straight as vodka. But save yor money and actually beat the commercial guys by making your own spirits rather than purchasing cordials. ;-)
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby Cane Toad » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:30 pm

Spot on 5Star :handgestures-thumbupleft: Pot still or bubbler,but I'm a bit one-sided to comment :laughing-rolling:
Cane Toad

Postby SBB » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:35 pm

Just started a reply then 5Star beat me to what i was about to say .
5Star wrote:Flavouring neutral is a second rate method of making spirits

Ive tried making bourbons and rums both ways.....and your better off doing it the right way from the start, which means a pot still or bubbler and using molasses or grains to achieve the result you want. its going to be a bit bigger learning curve.but in the long run your going to have a much better product and something you have hand crafted yourself.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Cane Toad » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:37 pm

Go the bubbler :laughing-rolling:
Cane Toad

Postby darbwah » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:51 pm

im in stinky deception bay. i felt a bit left out not doing anything illegal living here. :-D i pretty much just drink scotch and rum but if i keep the mrs happy with vodka and girly whatnot, my ears will be grateful. thats why i thought essence but i like the idea of making "real" scotch. is there a still that i can do both with? im probably only gonna ever have one so i want something that is versatile. the more i read the more i realise i have no f$&@ing idea. :cry:
darbwah

Postby R-sole » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:08 pm

You can make a very good vodka with a pot still by running three times.

You can make a good one running twice. It won't be 'neutral' but most commercial vodka's aren't either.

Check my lime vodka in the proven recipes, it's potstilled.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby QLD.Andy » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:51 pm

Dont listen to the snobs darbwah, some of the "flavorings" (or cordials) are OK, not the greatest but OK.
With a little work and some time they do taste, well, ok.
QLD.Andy

equipment: Still Spirits T500 with Copper Mesh
McStill made Copper Parrot
McStill made Copper Pot Still

Postby Sam. » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:00 pm

Andy is right. I have a bottle of mixed shit from a profile kit that is awesome to drink! Once I have done some different ways I may be able to comment on the differenceres but at the moment this shit is goooooooooood. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby darbwah » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:18 am

yeah ive been drinking some flavouring scotch off a mate and its fine. im no conniseur anyway and after a few i could probly be drinkin gins piss and wouldnt know any better
darbwah

Postby darbwah » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:22 am

i think im gonna go with a 2 inch slant plate boka. looks easy enough to make, heaps of templates and pics and by all reports seems to work ok. price seems similar to the pot as well. anyone know the cheapest shop to get pipe from??
darbwah

Postby R-sole » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:27 am

Build whatever suits you best, but the price of construction of a bok would be at least 4 times that of a pot. :shock:
R-sole

Postby maheel » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:32 am

scrap yards are the cheapest and often they have "new" pipe in the bins if it's a big scraper
but they dont always have it sitting around. i use a bit of scrap, but try to avoid any old pipe
some even keep new bits aside and sell it back to people

ring around is the next best way, reece, tradlink etc but pick the bigger "trade shops"
maheel

Postby Cane Toad » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:02 am

Go to tradelink mate,they sell by the meter and half the price of reece
Cane Toad

Postby MacStill » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:15 am

darbwah, if you had your location in your profile people could even possibly send you to where they get stuff from, dont want your address but at least a state would be good.

:handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby MacStill » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:27 am

Ah you've updated your profile :handgestures-thumbupleft:

This mob was by far the cheapest I found when I was over your way.

http://www.truelocal.com.au/business/north-coast-plumbing-co/caboolture
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Return to Beginners Questions