what to do with heads n tails

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

what to do with heads n tails

Postby bing » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:11 pm

Gday again, been a while since i logged in. I went ahead and built the still from the design i saw on the net before i read any replies. I have used the still and am getting about 93% avb with carefull heat control. adjusting water flow through condensor doesnt do much (it is either not enough or it is good) I know ihave built a poor design and i am going to build another but my question is can i use the heads to go into my next still run. I have done some reading which say the tails are ok to add to the next run. I am after neutral spirits. can any one steer me in the right direction.
bing

equipment: 2"internal reflux column liebig condenser. currently under constuction

Re: what to do with heads n tails

Postby Kimbo » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:21 pm

Hi Bing,
you can use both heads and tails, just cut out the foreshots :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby bing » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:46 pm

cheers :smile: I did a stripping run first which yeilded about 6 ltr from a 50ltr wash and came off at about 85+% avb. what percentage of that 6ltrs will foreshots,heads, hearts and tails be. eg how much of each roughly or does that depend on the composition of my spirit after the first run.
bing

equipment: 2"internal reflux column liebig condenser. currently under constuction

Postby emptyglass » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:26 pm

Ditch the first 300ml.

You can keep it. Use it for cleaning engines, starting BBQ's Homer style, or a bit like you would use metho. But like metho, make sure its clearly labeled and seperated from drinking stock. It will do you damage.

The rest you'll work out. Heads = headache, but they can smell deceptivley nice. If in doubt, just take the middle bit for drinkin. And collect in small containers. Its easier to pull the bad bits out.
emptyglass

Return to Beginners Questions