2 in 1 distilling conection

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

2 in 1 distilling conection

Postby crow » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:19 am

Hi got home to SA and was looking through my copper pipe and fittings (the stuff that hasn't been knocked off that is) :cry: Anyway I came up with what seems like a great Idea but thought I'd best check with ppl that know before putting it together . I got a 2" tee with a thread on one end and a crocks and nut one the other end the thread on the nut is the same as my reflux column , on the tee is thread that fits a short length 2" with a 45' elbow crocks and nut connection both ends . From that I figured I could connect a pipe reducing from 2" to say 1" to 3/4 and a Leibig . If I wanted to pot still I could screw a cap into the nut on the top and to reflux , screw a cap on the tee off side , I don't know if the 40 mm or so on the tee would interfere with reflux distillation or if anyone can see other problems with this idea
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Re: 2 in 1 distilling conection

Postby crow » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:57 pm

ok changing all this : cutting the crox and nut off the top of the tee and capping it maybe put a thermometer in it . The tee is not an exact 45 so the lyne arm will angle up at around 15' for aprox 120 mm . Crox and nut joined 45 will take off from there that way I can adjust the angle I want and tighten it , this piece is around 220 mm long then I'll just reduce it from 2" to 1 1/4" , 1" down to 3/4" with a flaring and rye nut . With a screw in reducer I can screw on my 1/2" liebig . The crox connection I cut off the tee I can solder to a 350mm long piece of 2" I have putting one of those McStill easy flanges on the other end to connect to a lion Nathan keg . should be able to unscrew the pot head easily and screw my reflux column straight on as they have the same thread as long as the extra 350mm under my existing reflux column doesn't affect its performance
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby crow » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:27 am

Polished up old copper ready to go , love to know what these old joints are brazed with , dark olive green almost black and hard as hell and I was worried (before polishing) it was leaded solder :?
crow

Postby R-sole » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:44 am

Brazed.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby crow » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:46 am

Right about to start my super mega fuggly god she's fucking ugly pot still . It'll be cheap and practical though and still look better than some of the shit I've seem on ebay I'll take piccies and when I work out how to post them I will , give ya all a good laugh if nothing else . anyway I'll post the rest of my progress under Pot stills I think PS got a little bit of brass in it but almost no direct contact with the product and these nuts are very old yet have oxidized pinkish yellow not grayish black am thinking high in copper lead free will pickle to be ultra safe PS $20 for one 2" cap (trade price) far canal EDIT cheap :teasing-tease:
crow

Return to Beginners Questions