Glass Carboy!

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Re: Glass Carboy!

Postby victorski » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:36 pm

Thanks mate :-) Haha it was about getting in trouble if i'd cut her lids, shes not the wife yet, just the missus ;-)
victorski

equipment: 2.5" Pot Still with 50L Keg Boiler

Postby audistiller » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:43 pm

There is a boating place I use to get my bit and pieces, that has shit loads of stuff, and they have what Maheel posted. They have shops all over Australia, and you can also buy online.

http://www.biasboating.com.au/

Heres one I found - http://www.biasboating.com.au/product_p/b3183.htm

and here is the page I got it from - http://www.biasboating.com.au/category_ ... =10&page=3

There is a stainless ball valve on the next page too.

Regards
audistiller

equipment: 2x 30L Fermenters
T500 Reflux Still with a spare Reflux Column

Postby victorski » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:26 am

Sweet, thanks mate! Still pissed off though :angry-banghead: payed $170 for something I can't use as advertised! I'll use that 1/2" skin fitting + maybe this little beauty Image + a couple silicon o-rings from my ikea swing top bottles and hopefully will be in business :D thanks everyone!

Regards,
Victor
victorski

Postby SBB » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:33 pm

WARNING WARNING..........Ive stuffed up here ........before anyone rushes out and tries to buy these new silicone seals for the Demijohns I should say DONT!
Looked at my Demijohns today and the seals dont fit..........they are made for the smaller flip top bottles.
Could still be a market for silicone seals for Demi's 5Star :handgestures-thumbupleft:
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby audistiller » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:43 pm

Is this the same as the one you bought...? I just picked up this 23L one off Gumtree today for $50. The guy told me the tap drains pretty slowly, but that doesn't bother me really, its more for long term storage.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by audistiller on Sun May 13, 2012 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
audistiller

Postby victorski » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:57 pm

Ah thanks for that SBB! Hey audistiller thats the one, i've attempted to fix a new tap to it but failed. I purchased a 1/2" stainless steel skim fitting but its to large to fit through the hole in the side or the top :angry-banghead: i'm returning mine for a refund, the website claimed they are safe for spirits, it can be safe to store low proof alcohol in polycarbonates, but no plastic is safe for high proof alcohol, it has been proven that they leech plasticisers such as di-iso-octyl phthalate :(

Cheers,
Victor
victorski

Postby audistiller » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:02 am

I have just found a cap for these glass carboys. The one pictured suits bottles 10-34 litres, and the price is only $1.95, looks like they clip on nicely.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
audistiller

Postby R-sole » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:12 am

Just saw this posted at Artisan...

http://fermentap.com/view_product/16662/100574
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby audistiller » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:11 am

This topic interested me a bit, probably because I have the same 23L Carboy, so I have been doing some research to find a suitable tap for these. So far I haven't had much luck, but I did stumble across this site in Europe that has a heap of taps for different applications. The sizes of the hole required for some of them are 18mm, so they are the ideal size. I am going to keep looking into it, but thought I would post what I have found so far.

http://www.winetaps-oenologyfittings.com/
audistiller

Postby audistiller » Sat May 12, 2012 1:32 am

You mentioned you were going to send those 23L Carboys back Vic, did you end up doing that..? If its for long term storage, why not just use one of those auto syphons to bottle or move the spirit into other bottles when needed.

Regards
audistiller

Postby victorski » Sat May 12, 2012 6:21 pm

Hey matey, yeah I sent them back for a refund! I can use the new 50L barrel for my whiskey storage! I found out a relative has 6 or so kegs sitting on his farm that he doesn't need so I might just have to take them off his hands ;-) then I can use them when the boka is finished and i've got neutral to store! Apparently the kegs are old, so hopefully they'll be in useable condition and that i'll be able to open them lol! That syphon looks good :-) might have to be a new investment!

Cheers,
Victor
victorski

Glass Carboy!

Postby Sam. » Sat May 12, 2012 8:08 pm

If the kegs are old you might be lucky and they are the 80l ones
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Previous

Return to Beginners Questions