Pot still design

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Re: Pot still design

Postby Goldie » Fri May 11, 2012 10:26 am

So SBB has found 1" over 3/4" better, what is everyone else's experience with the size of condensors.
Goldie

equipment: 4" four perf plate column on a 100lt SS boiler, 2" Pot Still on 50lt keg boiler

Postby crow » Fri May 11, 2012 11:03 am

I didn't have enough 1" to make one so I used 3/4 over 1/2 as I had miles of it and I get 100% vapor knock down to the point that my distillate comes out ice cold . PS my still is a 2" basic pot still , if you want to see my threads on it look at Liebig condensers in beginner quest. and My megger fuggly pot still in pot stills :))
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby audistiller » Fri May 11, 2012 12:51 pm

I suppose the question could be raised whether the 1 inch over 3/4 has any benefits over the smaller size your using Crowman, I still know shit about this, but from your last post, there may not be much of a reason to source the larger size copper, when the smaller diameter pipe works fine and is likely a bit cheaper..?

Regards
audistiller

equipment: 2x 30L Fermenters
T500 Reflux Still with a spare Reflux Column

Pot still design

Postby Sam. » Fri May 11, 2012 1:44 pm

Mine is 2 inch over 1 inch just because that's what I had. Read afterwards about crimping the tube so instead I have had to put copper mesh up there to stop the huffing. Can still make it shoot out vapor if I crank the fuck out of the burner on a stripping run but is completely unnecessary as I can do a 50l strip in 2 hours from flame on to flame off. When I build another it will be smaller
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby R-sole » Fri May 11, 2012 1:45 pm

The question of throughput needs to be considered.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Pot still design

Postby Sam. » Fri May 11, 2012 1:45 pm

Throughput?
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.

Postby R-sole » Fri May 11, 2012 1:46 pm

capacity.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Pot still design

Postby Sam. » Fri May 11, 2012 1:50 pm

Ah ha yeah I Probably need a bigger boiler
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby crow » Fri May 11, 2012 1:59 pm

Toying with the Idea of putting 1/2" in 3' Graham condenser when I build a plated column , trying to see why it wouldn't' work and should less risk of smearing than the other sorts I see normally employed I could be wrong , normally am
Last edited by crow on Fri May 11, 2012 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby R-sole » Fri May 11, 2012 2:02 pm

Sorry, what i'm talking about is the throughput (capacity) of a condensor.
I was posting in reply to this...

I suppose the question could be raised whether the 1 inch over 3/4 has any benefits over the smaller size your using Crowman, I still know shit about this, but from your last post, there may not be much of a reason to source the larger size copper, when the smaller diameter pipe works fine and is likely a bit cheaper..?

Assuming a two inch still carries more vapour than a 1 inch still and that a 1/2" worm will aloow more vapour to collapse than a 1/4" worm, then a 3/4 liebig will carry more vapour (produce more quantity) than a 1/2" one.

I know there are people who disagree with this and say that the vapour will just speed up to pass a restriction, and i belive that is true for a short restriction.
R-sole

Postby crow » Fri May 11, 2012 2:09 pm

sam_and_liv wrote:Mine is 2 inch over 1 inch just because that's what I had. Read afterwards about crimping the tube so instead I have had to put copper mesh up there to stop the huffing. Can still make it shoot out vapor if I crank the fuck out of the burner on a stripping run but is completely unnecessary as I can do a 50l strip in 2 hours from flame on to flame off. When I build another it will be smaller

Right well that's baked it for me I'm getting a bigger burner 2 hrs fuck lucky if I can get the boiler up to temp by then :roll:
crow

Postby Cane Toad » Fri May 11, 2012 2:59 pm

Hey Crow,you want a fast boil up time :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: Then check out my BD747 in accessories :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: Will cost ya about $5 in scrap material,and about half an hour to chuck it together......but be warned......they fuckin WORK :laughing-rolling: :D :laughing-rolling:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby Goldie » Fri May 11, 2012 3:59 pm

sam_and_liv wrote:Mine is 2 inch over 1 inch just because that's what I had. Read afterwards about crimping the tube so instead I have had to put copper mesh up there to stop the huffing.

Just reading about crimping the condensor now, is everyone else crimping their condensors? Have the results been good?
Goldie

equipment: 4" four perf plate column on a 100lt SS boiler, 2" Pot Still on 50lt keg boiler

Postby audistiller » Fri May 11, 2012 4:01 pm

Cupcake wrote:Then check out my BD747 in accessories

Out of curiosity I went for another look, I'm sure I have seen the thread before. I looked through the Accessories Section and also did various searches, but I got absolutely no results. I did however get a few results using the Google Site search 5Star setup in the Beginners Section above this thread.

Here`s a place to start though - viewtopic.php?f=7&t=769

Regards
audistiller

equipment: 2x 30L Fermenters
T500 Reflux Still with a spare Reflux Column

Postby cdbrown » Fri May 11, 2012 5:00 pm

Just got a call from the plumber - he'll be dropping the stills and column off in a little while. Pity I'm still at work. It'll need the burner for heating which is fine. I'll give it a steam run tonight most likely and tomorrow arvo should be doing my first strip run. Will post pics when I get home to show the gear and what ever questions I have.
cdbrown

equipment: 50L keg with McStill pot head, 3-ring burner on MP adj reg (upgrading to italian spiral)
McStill Copper Parrot
3v 50L brew rig with HERMS for 42L homebrew batches

Postby SBB » Fri May 11, 2012 5:43 pm

Goldie wrote:Just reading about crimping the condensor now, is everyone else crimping their condensors?

Crimping is without doubt of some benefit........In short it helps stop Laminar flow of vapours within the condencer.
Keep in mind that your crimps must be of the vertical kind .....not horizontal. Horizontal crimps will cause pooling and therefore smearing of cuts.
Crimping 1/2 inch is easy to do using a pair of side cutters......there are probabaly easier and better ways......thats just how i do it.
From what Ive read doing 3/4 is harder as its easy to to squash the 3/4 to a point where it wont fit up the one inch outter easily........I could be wrong here....just what Ive read.
Im about to tackle a 1 inch over 3/4 in the coming weeks..........will let you know how i go with it re crimping.
Maybe 5Star or Mac or one of the other more experienced builders can help out here.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby bt1 » Fri May 11, 2012 6:00 pm

Crimping is the go as u mentioned for 1/2' especially.

The other thing found useful was for the long condenser is to put a wedge shaped turbulator tip in hot end of leibig, with a 180 twist to cause a vapour swirl effect.

This is only gently tapped into leibig throat so it can be pulled out routinely cos tied to the tail of that is approx 1.5 mt of copper electrical wire...wound it round a pencil so it fits inside 1/2". It a fairly loose fit.
After about a year you pull it out and you should see how chewed up the tail wire gets It like gets eaten by vapour. On goes a fresh lot after a swim in vinegar and then fresh water.

cheers
bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby crow » Fri May 11, 2012 6:11 pm

I didn't crimp mine I just stuffed a bit of stainless up the outlet work no probs . knock down is well and truly 100% , as I said comes out ice cold same temp as the water going in from the tap . tiny bit of huffing and thats because I can't regulate my water down enough but I'll fix that with an inline valve on the hose one day
crow

Postby cdbrown » Fri May 11, 2012 7:51 pm

Ok - not what I was expecting going by the various stills on this site.

What the fuck are these things???

Both together

This one has a small pipe at the bottom and at the top (just barely visible in the photo) and out of each side. Only one of the side ones has the threaded join.

Shiny thing is a temp gauge. Only outlet is at the top. In front is another piece which fits to the top of the pot

What was on the top - reflux column? Has marbles inside it.
cdbrown

equipment: 50L keg with McStill pot head, 3-ring burner on MP adj reg (upgrading to italian spiral)
McStill Copper Parrot
3v 50L brew rig with HERMS for 42L homebrew batches

Postby MacStill » Fri May 11, 2012 8:26 pm

Duct tape :violence-stickwhack:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

PreviousNext

Return to Beginners Questions