empty bottles

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

empty bottles

Postby darbwah » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:59 pm

hey fellas
where do you guys get all your empty bottles from? is there any places in brisbane that sell them cheap?
cheers brad
darbwah

equipment: 2" boka. 50l keg boiler. 2200w

Re: empty bottles

Postby Panda » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:33 pm

Do you know anyone that works in an establishment with a bar?
Panda

equipment: T500 & CM with pot head.

Postby Frank » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:32 pm

Hi Darbwah
welcome to this stange and alluring place BTW.

+1 Panda in that if you can get hold of 1 litre,ex-pub, clean (esp vodka) bottles then thats great.
If you cant, consider this http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50108908/ and simply WAIT for their next sale (I got mine for $1.49 per). ;-)
Frank

Postby grumpthehermit » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:35 am

G'day,

We have bought a dozen or so of those Ikea 1LT swingtop bottles for $1.49

They are excellent, the wire on the swingtop is not as thick as you would find on a Grolsh bottle or similar but they lock down really well.

Cheers
GTH
grumpthehermit

Postby QLD.Andy » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:59 am

I asked a restaurant we go to all the time to save the empty's for me.
I also put the word out to friends and family.
QLD.Andy

equipment: Still Spirits T500 with Copper Mesh
McStill made Copper Parrot
McStill made Copper Pot Still

Postby darbwah » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:42 am

are the seals ok on the ikea ones or does it even matter if its not in contact? only problem with those are if i send the mrs to ikea to get bottles im gonna end up with a truckload of shit that i have to put together
darbwah

Postby Frank » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:47 pm

darbwah wrote:are the seals ok on the ikea ones or does it even matter if its not in contact? only problem with those are if i send the mrs to ikea to get bottles im gonna end up with a truckload of shit that i have to put together

:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
no mate, as (at least) the bottles dont come Flatpack, you can head for the downstairs/lower level at the Logan complex and forget the search/form/paper/ :angry-banghead: stuff. I would have NEVER suggested this if you had to become an IKEA lost soul :handgestures-thumbdown:

and, re the seals, well NFI really but they aren't likely to contact the liquid much AND they are made out of foodgrade (ummmm... :think: )
Frank

Postby darbwah » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:37 pm

i get sweaty and short of breath anytime my mrs mentions the word shop
darbwah

Postby Kal » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:53 pm

I have a wine/homebrew shop near my house. I bough some clear winebottles for $1.19 each. They don't come with a top but you can buy a bag with a hundred corks pretty cheap.
Kal

equipment: 50L keg boiler
2" bok still
4" plate still

Postby R-sole » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:50 am

As soon as your friends find out you are making your own you'll be swamped in bottles from people hoping for a swap.
You'll be chucking them out before you know it.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby QLD.Andy » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:45 pm

:text-lol: aint that the truth
QLD.Andy

equipment: Still Spirits T500 with Copper Mesh
McStill made Copper Parrot
McStill made Copper Pot Still

Postby Goldie » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:04 am

Panda wrote:Do you know anyone that works in an establishment with a bar?

X2 about approaching a bar. I went in and asked if they could keep bottles for me. Just make sure you ask for lids too!
Goldie

equipment: 4" four perf plate column on a 100lt SS boiler, 2" Pot Still on 50lt keg boiler

Postby audistiller » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:58 am

How are some of you cleaning your new bottles for use...? I have a heap of those $1.50 bottles from IKEA, and bought some new 1125 PET bottles. I started out rinsing them with the Pink Neo sanitiser, but all I am doing now is rinsing in boiling water, then immediately pouring in about 50ml or so of 93% spirit, closing the lid and giving them a good shake. If I was using second-hand bottles, I would wash them with sanitiser first.
audistiller

equipment: 2x 30L Fermenters
T500 Reflux Still with a spare Reflux Column

Postby Frank » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:23 pm

Mate with the Ikeas, the collected foreshots are a good idea I reckon and with mine, I give them a decent going over with the bottlebrush and put the seals/lids in boiling water for a few minutes and the glass bottles in the oven at mod temp for more than long enough to dry them completely. Just take care to let the bottles warm with the oven from the start and they will be ok (Italian made glass are mine anyway) and let them cool before handling ;-) .

Re PET bottles, I would be VERY concerned about putting high ABV% in them either for a little OR a long while. Plastic and high ABV% just dont mix mate (and I welcome being corrected or someone else providing the 'cutoff'/ safe ABV% for PET BTW).
Frank

Postby audistiller » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:03 am

Frank wrote:Re PET bottles, I would be VERY concerned about putting high ABV% in them either for a little OR a long while. Plastic and high ABV% just dont mix mate (and I welcome being corrected or someone else providing the 'cutoff'/ safe ABV% for PET BTW).

These PET bottles I have are from Brewcraft, I needed some quickly for my first run that needed to be distilled, so I just grabbed them. They are labelled 1125 Plastic Spirit bottles with lids, and I only store 40% in them after mixing. I only bought them to get me by until I sourced some glass spirit bottles.
audistiller

equipment: 2x 30L Fermenters
T500 Reflux Still with a spare Reflux Column

Postby crow » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:52 pm

Google Antimony or PET bottles concerning the high levels of this extremely toxic metal and there ability to leach in volatile solutions :puke-huge: :sad-fever: :sad-suicidepills: :puke-front: :sad-roulette: PET bottles nearly killed me just aging beer in them
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby SBB » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:19 am

audistiller wrote:They are labelled 1125 Plastic Spirit bottles with lids, and I only store 40% in them after mixing.

People will tell you anything they want if they think you will buy it...............just look at some of the advertisments on TV........do you believe half of them????????
Again its a personal choice............but Fu%!*ed if I would
Last edited by SBB on Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

empty bottles

Postby Rumdrinker » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:20 am

Storing spirits in PET bottles is yet another example of bad advice from those we thought to be knowledgable (yes, our local HBS) in all aspects of home brewing, especially safety issues.
My hooch only touches copper, stainless or glass, just not worth the risk IMO
Rumdrinker

equipment: Electric & HP gas Keg boilers. 4" pot still for stripping & rum, Bubbler in the making.....

Postby wynnum1 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:15 am

1.5 L wine bottles are good like stones green ginger wine with screw top.
wynnum1

Postby darbwah » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:51 pm

i got a whole heap of screw top wine bottles today. they are full and i dont want to drink the shit. can i tip it in with my wash and run it through?
darbwah

Next

Return to Beginners Questions