ABV over 40% for consumtpion

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

ABV over 40% for consumtpion

Postby jread » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:11 am

Hi Everyone,

To save time i did try search this question on this forum but couldn't find too much. I have a question that is related to the 'safety in home distilling' disclosure statement in the newbies corner.

First question:
When storing alcohol always have the % marked on the jar and anything over 40% should be marked as poison so people don't accidentally drink it, even 65% can cause someone trouble as it will effect you very differently than the normal drinking strength of 38-40%. It is not funny to "stitch up" a mate by feeding him/her drinks at a high %, it could end very badly and could be hard to explain at the hospital

-Question: This got me a little bit confused, Cant you make alcohol over 40% before its dangerous?

Second question:
Always water alcohol down below 40% before running through a still. This lessens the risk of major fire/fire ball or explosion if a spill or boiler rupture (not sure why this would happen but just incase) was to occur. It also lessens the chances of running your elements dry.

-Question: Is this only for running your finished product through a still the second time?

Cheers lads. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Last edited by jread on Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
jread

equipment: I dont have a brew setup yet, I am in the middle of research about it and still deciding what i need

Re: ABV over 40% for consumtpion

Postby scythe » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:03 am

Answer 1;
Over 40%ABV is easily ignited, even static electricity can do it, think of it like petrol.
You can still drink it but beware alcohol poisoning.

Answer 2;
Keep %ABV of the "wash" in the boiler below 40%ABV as the risk of a still fire or explosion during the run greatly increases.
Applies when running low wines in a boiler on their own or with a wash.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby jread » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:31 am

scythe wrote:Answer 1;
Over 40%ABV is easily ignited, even static electricity can do it, think of it like petrol.

Answer 2;
Keep %ABV of the "wash" in the boiler below 40%ABV as the risk of a still fire or explosion during the run greatly increases.

Hi Scythe,

Thanks for the insight, i understand Answere 2 now - so its in line with a stripping run correct?

For answer 1 i understand - but can we expand on that, how come its recommended? but you can buy higher than 40% alcohol from the bottle shop? or is this more so saying dont drink it straight if your going to make i.e. 65%ABV?

Cheers again. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
jread

equipment: I dont have a brew setup yet, I am in the middle of research about it and still deciding what i need

Postby chipboy » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:51 am

More correctly this is where the Proof of alcohol comes from, ABV approx 60% plus will / can be ignited hence in old days on ships the rum was watered down and the sailors asked for proof it was the real deal, put a match to it please! If it burnt you had proof they had not watered it down.

The system being lazy changed it to be a simple double (blame whomever) so now we simply double the ABV so anyhting more than navy strength ie 120 proof or 60% approx, 57 actually read below, was considered 100%

www.insidehook.com/article/arts-enterta ... to-find-it
Last edited by chipboy on Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
chipboy

equipment: 50 litre keg, insulated and 4 plates at 4 inch. Home made mash tun.

Postby bluc » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:43 pm

jread wrote:
scythe wrote:Answer 1;

Answer 2;

Hi Scythe,

Thanks for the insight, i understand Answere 2 now - so its in line with a stripping run correct?

For answer 1 i understand - but can we expand on that, how come its recommended? but you can buy higher than 40% alcohol from the bottle shop? or is this more so saying dont drink it straight if your going to make i.e. 65%ABV?

Cheers again. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

It saying don't stitch up ya mate by feeding them 65% when they are used to 40% otherwise you may have some uncomfortable questions to answesar at the hospital.
You can drink alcohol whatever strength you like but higher the proof more damage to kidneys liver. This is one reason I mix with softdrink/water. at 65% you are drinking equivalent to 1.5 nips of 40% so half as strong again. Higher the proof easier to get alcohol poisoning. If you drank azeo 95% at the rate you drank 40% you would find yourself throwing up at least or more serious damage quicker then you may realize..Be responsible :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby The Stig » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:57 pm

Surely this is a troll :think:
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby jread » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:00 pm

It saying don't stitch up ya mate by feeding them 65% when they are used to 40% otherwise you may have some uncomfortable questions to answesar at the hospital.
You can drink alcohol whatever strength you like but higher the proof more damage to kidneys liver. This is one reason I mix with softdrink/water. at 65% you are drinking equivalent to 1.5 nips of 40% so half as strong again. Higher the proof easier to get alcohol poisoning. If you drank azeo 95% at the rate you drank 40% you would find yourself throwing up at least or more serious damage quicker then you may realize..Be responsible :handgestures-thumbupleft

Thanks for that, i get it now.

Great insight from you blokes. Everyday i understand more. :D :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Last edited by jread on Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jread

Postby jread » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:01 pm

The Stig wrote:Surely this is a troll :think:

na mate just a rookie. :))

i dont drink, until i tried my mates brew.

Now im getting setup :handgestures-thumbupleft: :cool:
Last edited by jread on Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jread

Postby The Stig » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:04 pm

May I suggest you stop posting and do some reading and try digest what you read then come back and ask
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby jread » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:09 pm

The Stig wrote:May I suggest you stop posting and do some reading and try digest what you read then come back and ask

Thanks for your suggestion however this forum i joined is part of the whole research process, collaboration sparks conversation - I'd like to think like minded people would collaborate regardless on the level of knowledge one holds. I will continue to post and get to know everyone, and pick brains and start conversations to build relationships around here, as what this forum was intended for.

:handgestures-thumbupleft:
jread

Postby ed9362 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:22 pm

i can hear in my head jennifer keyte saying.

in breaking news, a man from the gold coast tonight is fighting for life because he drank home made alcohol.

its a worry...
ed9362

equipment: Pure distilling reflux still kit. A few extra fermenters
2" pot still

Postby bluc » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:23 am

:text-+1: bang on and exactly right. Uneducated (in home distilling) people beliving everything they hear on tv...
Last edited by bluc on Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Amberale » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:32 pm

ed9362 wrote:i can hear in my head jennifer keyte saying.

in breaking news, a man from the gold coast tonight is fighting for life because he drank home made alcohol.

its a worry...

On the other hand, I’m happy to listen to Jennifer say anything.
Trumped only by Mariam Saab on weekend late ABC news, Baaaabe!
Amberale

equipment: 5* Neutraliser.

Postby bluc » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:30 pm

:wtf: :laughing-rolling:
bluc
Site Donor

Return to Beginners Questions