Slow Fermentation

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Slow Fermentation

Postby doogie » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:42 pm

Hi Everyone

Just bought a T500 and fermenting my first wash, 8kg sugar and Still Spirits Classic 8 yeast. I'm on day 9 now and the wash is still bubbling albeit very slowly and my SG is at 1.01, I think I may have let the wash get too cold. I read that it should get down to .99 but does this .02 make a difference? IS it OK to filter now or do I just need to be patient for another day or two?

Any advice for this newbie is appreciated.

Craig
doogie

equipment: T500 with stainless steel column for neutral and homemade 2” copper column and Liebig condenser.

Re: Slow Fermentation

Postby bluc » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:11 pm

Test the wash daily with hydrometer when it stops falling and stays same for 3 consecutive days you can call it done :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby doogie » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:14 pm

Thanks bluc, so it isn't really a concern about how long fermentation takes?
doogie

equipment: T500 with stainless steel column for neutral and homemade 2” copper column and Liebig condenser.

Postby dans.brew » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:21 pm

Hi doogie... perhaps pop into the welcome centre and pop up a post. People can say hi and answer any new questions you may have. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
In regards to your wash... its best to be patient and let it do its thing fully. Running early will sacrifice some yield and doesnt give time for yeast to settle to the bottom before you siphon wash of the top.
I presume your using a turbo yeast, have a look at the TPW or WBAB (if a slight grainy base may be of interest) they will be leaps ahead of turbos.
Have a look at doing cuts in the newbies corner too if you haven't already.
Hope that helps.
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby doogie » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:41 pm

dans.brew wrote:Hi doogie... perhaps pop into the welcome centre and pop up a post. People can say hi and answer any new questions you may have. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
In regards to your wash... its best to be patient and let it do its thing fully. Running early will sacrifice some yield and doesnt give time for yeast to settle to the bottom before you siphon wash of the top.
I presume your using a turbo yeast, have a look at the TPW or WBAB (if a slight grainy base may be of interest) they will be leaps ahead of turbos.
Have a look at doing cuts in the newbies corner too if you haven't already.
Hope that helps.

:handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
doogie

Return to Beginners Questions