Can I get a neutral or Vodka from a pot still

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Can I get a neutral or Vodka from a pot still

Postby Wellsy » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:52 am

Hey guys been reading the different washes and it seems the WBAB wash is very popular for a vodka. The post also suggests it makes a nice whiskey especially when done generationally. I get that if i want a vodka or neutral I need to avoid generational increases in flavour with a pot still. Will my pot still strip enough of the flavour from it to get me a vodka or neutral or will i end up with a weak whiskey ?
would or would the winos wash be a better option, or is it simple to stick with doing what the still is best suited for.
Thanks in advance guys
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Re: Can I get a neutral or Vodka from a pot still

Postby Sam. » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:09 am

This is going to create some conversation :teasing-tease:

The way I see it to make nuetrel you need to put it through a shit load of plates or packing that is equivalent to theoretical plates.

How ever many plates that is, is how many times it would be needed to be distilled in a pot still.

Now it's not going to be the same either as you would have to start making cuts after the first run so you would lose volume each time.

Having said that there are people who claim they make good nuetrel with a pot still, I have never tasted it myself personally so I can't comment on the quality but I am sceptical.

Long story short have a crack and see what you reckon if you have the time or energy ;-)
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Wellsy » Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:07 am

Thanks Sam
So the short answer is yes if I am prepared to work hard enough for it lol. Looks like I need to spirit run it 4 or 5 times to get flavour out.
Which would you recommend mate the wino wash ( I am assuming this has little taste ) as it is easier to get to neutral. Or the Wbab wash so it retains that memory of wheat in the end product.
Or is there flavour in both and so it is personal preference
Alternatively I just wait until I have $1500 to add a bubbler to my pot lol
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby MartinCash » Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:15 am

I have a different take on it.

I consider the terms 'vodka' and 'neutral' to be different things.

Yes, modern vodkas are almost all (but NOT all) neutral. However, this wasn't always so and even some modern vodkas have subtle but recognisable grain flavour. I think the answer is that you can make vodka with a pot still, as long as you're prepared to tolerate some flavour contribution from the base fermentation. TFFV is one recipe that has great feedback for pot-stilled vodka, and I can back this up, as the grain flavour is very mild. You will get a better result if you triple-distil than double-distil, and you will clean it up some each time you dilute with water for the next distillation.

All that said, I don't think it's feasible to try to make something you can really call neutral (as opposed to vodka) from a pot still. The effort is hardly worth it.
MartinCash

equipment: 50L Boiler, copper pot still, copper 100mm modular CCVM column.

Postby Sam. » Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:41 am

Wellsy wrote:Thanks Sam
So the short answer is yes if I am prepared to work hard enough for it lol.

The short answer would be no :handgestures-thumbdown:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.

Postby Sam. » Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:42 am

MartinCash wrote:I have a different take on it.

Yes, modern vodkas are almost all (but NOT all) neutral. However, this wasn't always so and even some modern vodkas have subtle but recognisable grain flavour. I think the answer is that you can make vodka with a pot still, as long as you're prepared to tolerate some flavour contribution from the base fermentation. TFFV is one recipe that has great feedback for pot-stilled vodka, and I can back this up, as the grain flavour is very mild. You will get a better result if you triple-distil than double-distil, and you will clean it up some each time you dilute with water for the next distillation.

All that said, I don't think it's feasible to try to make something you can really call neutral (as opposed to vodka) from a pot still. The effort is hardly worth it.

I agree there is a huge difference between vodka and nuetrel but until I have sampled pot stilled vodka that isn't awful I'm not convinced.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby hgwells » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:29 am

I’m not going to weigh in on neutral from a pot still discussion, but damn you get a good neutral from a bubbler with five plates and a 500mm packed section :smile:
hgwells
Site Donor

equipment: FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
60L Milkcan Boiler
100L 5 Star Boiler
3x 2400 Elements
1x 3600 Element
Turbo-500

Postby Wellsy » Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:43 pm

Now your just showing off HG lol

Thanks guys. So vodka is possible and neutral impossible.

I have had a ripping vodka in Vancouver from a micro distillery so understand flavour can be a good thing. Apologies to all our member distilleries it is not that I don’t like your stuff it is simply I have not tasted it. Looks like I am going to have to cash in my coke bottles and save for a bubbler. Oh wait are we still allowed to withdraw our super lol

Thanks again guys appreciate your feedback
Wellsy

Postby Tesla101 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:05 pm

MartinCash wrote:I have a different take on it.

I agree with this...

Traditional vodka was originally triple distilled with a pot still, making cuts and diluting with "tasteless" water for 2nd & 3rd distillations and then finally diluting to around 37.5% ABV. (Some countries specify a minimum of 40%) A good pot stilled vodka should only have a mild taste of the original substrate, with most distilleries preferring wheat due to it being relatively mellow compared to other substrates like rye, potato or molasses. Wheat is also comparatively cheaper. So, yes. You can make vodka with a pot still.

Neutral is different to vodka. It should not have any discernible taste at all. You could theoretically make a neutral with a pot still, but you would need to re-distill too many times for it to be practical. Neutral is also made to be used as a base for other spirits, such as gin or liqueurs - where the flavours are added (or distilled with) after the base spirit is made. A pot still is definitely not the best tool for this job, you'd be much better with a reflux column or plated still with a packed section.
Tesla101

equipment: ......

Postby RC Al » Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:00 pm

To get to neutral, I say an as tall as you can fit packed column is the best tool

If you pan right the top end will work on top of plates too

Much flavor can be strpped with different carbons too - just skip the common plastic one, more work, time and $$
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby hgwells » Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:49 pm

Wellsy wrote:Now your just showing off HG lol

Thanks guys. So vodka is possible and neutral impossible.

I have had a ripping vodka in Vancouver from a micro distillery so understand flavour can be a good thing. Apologies to all our member distilleries it is not that I don’t like your stuff it is simply I have not tasted it. Looks like I am going to have to cash in my coke bottles and save for a bubbler. Oh wait are we still allowed to withdraw our super lol

Thanks again guys appreciate your feedback

:laughing-rolling:
hgwells
Site Donor

equipment: FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
60L Milkcan Boiler
100L 5 Star Boiler
3x 2400 Elements
1x 3600 Element
Turbo-500

Return to Beginners Questions