Triple distillation

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Triple distillation

Postby Wellsy » Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:35 pm

Ok now it is getting warmer I am contemplating doing a larger wheat mash for a vodka run. Previous advise is this will work through a pot still if triple distilled. In fact this is how vodkas used to be made. I think I understand double distilled. Strip runs then combine results for a spirit run. How is triple done, do I do the normal cuts process after the spirit run and then dilute the kept spirit and do a second spirit run. If only running kept spirits am I better adding 2 batches together or does the diluted spirit actually make it easier to do the final cuts.
Apologies guys but I am a complete newbie in this area.
All suggestions most welcome and thanks in advance.
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Re: Triple distillation

Postby bluc » Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:49 pm

Strip them both on second run I would do a rough fores heads tails cut. Third run do proper cuts then dilute and enjoy..with neutral I usually take low wines back to 20% less flavour in less flavour out is the theory . Cant comment on final flavour never tried pot stilled vodka..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby RC Al » Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:06 pm

:text-+1:
As vodka and not neutral, its your preference mate, bear in mind without a thumper or an plate or some reflux, you wont crack the 80 abv on any spirit run

The lower you dilute each run, the more flavour you will loose and many esters break down at lower abv's too, but the lower abv will be produced from the spout

What is described is a hearts of hearts run, i doubt you will be diisapointed with the results, depends on how hard you cut each time. Some cabon filtering after wouldn't hurt depending on how much flavour you want to loose, many would argue the time spent vs upgrading to a packed column and the final result.

Any feints could be run through again later or with some other wash to recover some harsh cuts.
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby Wellsy » Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:50 pm

Thanks so much for the info guys.
4 or 5 plate bubbler is on the wish list but not in the budget as yet. Not sure if staging the purchase would help ( I.e running a 2 plate pot until I can afford the rest ). To be honest I have not asked Andrew yet as I know I will want 2 NOW !!!, if the answer is yes it makes a difference lol. I really need to learn patience and sometimes it is good to put some love into what you produce rather than money. If I can get some nice vodka it will be something to really enjoy. My plan is to potentially do a 200 litre angel yeast all wheat vodka, so that should get a few litres of triple distilled. I am guessing 20 ish litres at 40%.
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Return to Beginners Questions