Preserving Jars

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Preserving Jars

Postby victorski » Fri May 11, 2012 10:14 pm

Howdy everyone, i've been looking for some big jars to store some UJSM for aging! I bought three, 1.5 litre preserving jars!

they have metal lids but a rubber/silicon seal on the bottom of the lid. Has anyone had any experience with them ?
I just imagined if it was used for preserving foods then it might be safe for alcomahol ?

Cheers,
Victor
victorski

equipment: 2.5" Pot Still with 50L Keg Boiler

Re: Preserving Jars

Postby audistiller » Fri May 11, 2012 10:47 pm

Gday Vic,

Do you mean the jars that have that silicon coating on the whole underside of the lid, or just a silicon O`ring seal..? I read somewhere 5Star uses the glass cookie jars with the Demijohn type clip lid I think it was, and he throws away the rubber seal and they work well. Have you tried having a wander around an IKEA store (if your close to one) because they have a heap of similar large glass jars, and cheap too. You can also try the Red Dot stores and The Reject Shop if you have any near you.

Regards
audistiller

equipment: 2x 30L Fermenters
T500 Reflux Still with a spare Reflux Column

Postby victorski » Fri May 11, 2012 11:01 pm

Yeah mate the ones with the silicon coating on the underside, you recon they'd be alright?
I've got tonnes of those IKEA bottles with the silicon o-rings ;) at $1.50 a pop you can't go wrong!

Cheers,
Victor
victorski

equipment: 2.5" Pot Still with 50L Keg Boiler

Postby audistiller » Sat May 12, 2012 12:06 am

victorski wrote:Yeah mate the ones with the silicon coating on the underside, you recon they'd be alright?

I dont want to give you a bum steer, I am no expert, but since its food grade I would think it would be fine especially since its not coming into direct contact. HOWEVER you need to remember what the vapour may do to it depending on ABV, but wait and see who else throws some advice your way.

victorski wrote:I've got tonnes of those IKEA bottles with the silicon o-rings ;) at $1.50 a pop you can't go wrong!Cheers,Victor

I didn't mean those 1 litre bottles because you said you wanted something larger, and IKEA have quite an assortment of jars as well, so if you have a store close enough, might pay to go for a stroll around to see what your options are. I remember seeing some glass jars at IKEA in Perth, I think they were only a few dollars too. Remember glass cookie jars, perfect size and pretty cheap.

http://www.ikea.com/au/en/search/?query=glass+jars

Regards
audistiller

equipment: 2x 30L Fermenters
T500 Reflux Still with a spare Reflux Column

Postby Sam. » Sat May 12, 2012 12:24 am

Depends how precious you are....If you can't taste it? who fuckin cares? :))
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby R-sole » Sat May 12, 2012 5:07 am

If you are talking about Ball jars with the two piece lids, just turn the inner lid upside down.

No good for transport, but ok for storage.

For 2 litre bottles i just use flagons. Go to the recycle centre or befriend someone who drinks cheap port. Have a look out the back of the pub for 1-2litre spirit bottles or chat up your barman/bargirl at your local.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby bt1 » Sun May 13, 2012 7:41 am

+1 au said,

reject shops have 5lt and 3lt wide mouth storage jars for about $5 wire clip down lids...good width for collecting and airing

btw chatting up your local barmaid can have lifestyle issues which detract from distilling and somewhat difficult to explain lol

cheers
bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Return to Beginners Questions