Feints and Filtering

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Feints and Filtering

Postby B-Man » Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:53 pm

Hey Guys,
not sure if this is a newbie question but cant really find another place for it.

1. Is feints something you get great flavours from or is it just about extracting The Hearts you didn't get out of the previous runs?
I make quite fussy cuts and only take what I think its the best stuff so have a lot of heads and tails that still have a lot of hearts with it.
When I first started my plan was to run the feints in my T500 and compress the heads and tails and just grab a good chunk of neutral hearts but now im thinking it probably has some good /better flavours than the original?

2. Is it better to filter before or after your second distillation? I don't filter my spirits as I have really only made wine into brandy but if I was wanting to do a neutral would you run it as a stripping run, then filter it and rerun it?
My thought was that your taking out the nasties before the spirit run so its a cleaner product before it even goes through the Still.
would this be better or worse if you use your fore's and early heads as cleaning chemical? ie. what makes it a good cleaning chemical is now removed?

3. I have read about adding sodium carbonate to low wines at 1 teaspoon/L and its meant to compress the heads and tails. im guessing this is for neutral only?
Would it work for feints?
Would this be affected if done before filtering?
and does this affect the fore's/heads as cleaning chemical?
B-Man

equipment: keg 4" Bubbler

Re: Feints and Filtering

Postby howard » Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:52 pm

the feints question is hard to answer, different for each product and each distiller.
eg after i have done a spirit run on my rum low wines in pot still mode, taken my harsh cuts, i then run the feints through my reflux and get some good immediate drinking rum.
others do their own thing with feints, all feints runs, adding feints to next run etc etc.
as for filtering, i have never filtered anything, i don't think there is any real need with a good 'tried and tested' wash.
i take the fores('nasties'?) out on a stripping run (personal choice, some don't) and again on the spirit run.
howard

equipment: 35l brewzilla
2" modular CM
gin caddy
changeover element switch and voltage controller on brewzillas 1900w element.
5L glass boiler/glass leibig

Postby B-Man » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:13 pm

howard wrote:the feints question is hard to answer, different for each product and each distiller.
eg after i have done a spirit run on my rum low wines in pot still mode, taken my harsh cuts, i then run the feints through my reflux and get some good immediate drinking rum.

so you get a lot of flavours from the feints then even through the reflux still?
howard wrote:others do their own thing with feints, all feints runs, adding feints to next run etc etc.
as for filtering, I have never filtered anything, i don't think there is any real need with a good 'tried and tested' wash.
I take the fores('nasties'?) out on a stripping run (personal choice, some don't) and again on the spirit run.

I have never filtered but interested to try and see what it does. From removing more flavour for neutrals to just cleaning it up for a smoother taste.

Yeah there so many ways to do things just trying to work out what others have tried and whether it works or not. or is worth trying.
B-Man

Postby bluc » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:16 pm

Rum is notorius for flavour carry over virtualy anything else can be turned to neutral or vodka :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby howard » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:35 pm

B-Man wrote:
howard wrote:the feints question is hard to answer, different for each product and each distiller.

so you get a lot of flavours from the feints then even through the reflux still?
howard wrote:others do their own thing with feints, all feints runs, adding feints to next run etc etc.
as for filtering, I have never filtered anything, i don't think there is any real need with a good 'tried and tested' wash.
I take the fores('nasties'?) out on a stripping run (personal choice, some don't) and again on the spirit run.

I have never filtered but interested to try and see what it does. From removing more flavour for neutrals to just cleaning it up for a smoother taste.

Yeah there so many ways to do things just trying to work out what others have tried and whether it works or not. or is worth trying.

yep, the product from refluxing the rum feints is quite tasty, i use it in my mojitos. (i have been having a few tonight burp lol)

i don't personally see the point of filtering, why would you try to remove flavour?
if you are trying to remove bad flavours or clean something up with filtering, i think the operator already has a problem in the operation of a still or ingredients.
TBH it's took me a while, but i wouldn't wash me dog in some of the first 'hearts' i produced in the early days. :smile:
Last edited by howard on Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
howard

2" modular CM
gin caddy

Postby B-Man » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:42 pm

More looking at filtering for removing any slight flavours for a clean neutral.

Will have to try refluxing some feints and see what its like.
What abv do you reflux that at?
B-Man

Postby howard » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:29 am

dilute to the usual 40 abv.
i've only done it with molasses rum feints.
howard

2" modular CM
gin caddy

Postby B-Man » Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:24 pm

B-Man wrote:What abv do you reflux that at?

sorry i meant what abv do you pull it out at? if your refluxing do you aim for 95% or try and run a bit faster and get it at 85-90?
B-Man

Postby crow » Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:59 pm

B-Man wrote:

sorry i meant what abv do you pull it out at? if your refluxing do you aim for 95% or try and run a bit faster and get it at 85-90?

Think about what faints are ;-) ,run slow and cut tight :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby howard » Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:17 pm

B-Man wrote:

like a spirit reflux run, low and slow, pull it out at 95%abv
Last edited by howard on Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
howard

2" modular CM
gin caddy

Postby B-Man » Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:48 pm

yeah i guess dont want any smearing. just wondered how he got the flavours across.
Cheers
B-Man

Postby howard » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:02 am

B-Man wrote:yeah i guess dont want any smearing. just wondered how he got the flavours across.
Cheers

the rum flavours come across ok, it's seems that it's pretty hard to de-flavour molasses feints.
the reflux spirit run of rum feints about 4 days ago got me about 2.4l of lovely hearts at 95%, of which 1.3l have been diluted to 40%, 3 x 1l bottles for immediate drinking.
in the interests of science, i've just had a glug straight from the bottle, very nice indeed. :smile:

for experimental purposes, the other 1.2l have been diluted to 65% and oaked with FSD american heavy oak.
something odd is going on with that, but i'll monitor it. :think:
howard

2" modular CM
gin caddy

Postby BigRig » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:15 pm

howard wrote:
for experimental purposes, the other 1.2l have been diluted to 65% and oaked with FSD american heavy oak.

this has me intrigued. 3 weeks later now, whats happening ?
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby B-Man » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:02 pm

BigRig wrote:
howard wrote:

Me too.

Also on another note I ran my feints run about a month ago through the packed bubbler and mixed it with some essences I had left over.
taste bloody delicious doesn't even smell like alcohol and just a nice warm feeling going down the throat. probably some of the smoothest stuff I have made.

What do you do with the leftovers from feints?
I ended up putting it with my fores for cleaning.
B-Man

Postby bluc » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:09 pm

In with fores is the go for Feints of feints.. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby howard » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:35 pm

BigRig wrote:
howard wrote:

i've had all my jars airing today.
the 1.2l in question has only taken on about 2/3rds of the colour of a normal usa heavy.
it's not developed any vanilla notes at all yet, which all my other usa heavies have.
i'm not in any hurry, it tastes ok from the finger.
might spice it, if it doesn't develop.

BTW my oldest rum is only 3 months old, i have a long way to go :smile:
howard

2" modular CM
gin caddy

Postby B-Man » Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:46 am

howard wrote:
BTW my oldest rum is only 3 months old, i have a long way to go :smile:

I dont have anything over 2 months old atm :scared-eek:
B-Man

Return to Beginners Questions