Will copper help with airstill?

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Will copper help with airstill?

Postby R3dRanga » Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:56 pm

Just starting out and I noticed a few mentions of copper. One in relation to airstill but with little info or context.

Can anyone share some insight or expert opinion on how copper may (or may not) help improve flavour when distilling? Who much, where does it go (botanicals cage?), at what point should it be used in the process, where to source/buy, etc.

I know the airstill has it's limitations, but if there are small ways to improve and/or make the most of it I'd love to give it a go. If even you don't run an airstill, perhaps some of you pro/experienced distillers can offer opinion and advice - what would you'd try?

Thanks in advance,
RR
R3dRanga

equipment: Spirit Maker Reflux, 30L boiler
4L Airstill (teenie!)

Re: Will copper help with airstill?

Postby RC Al » Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:34 pm

Copper has the effect of removing sulfites from vapour, it has to be in the vapour path to work (not liquid)

Each wash/yeast combo will produce different levels of sulfites

I have no idea on the internals of those, but you may be hard pressed to fit any in there, if its not hard and isnt going to turn it into a bomb, it will be beneficial in the long run
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby The Stig » Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:56 pm

There’s nowhere to place a meaningful amount of copper unfortunately
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby R3dRanga » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:58 pm

Ok, so I've given this some more thought. What if... I created some little copper curls to fit in the botanical basket?

Like this:

Obviously more than I have pictured, but I don't want to go and create heaps more if the advice/consensus from the brains trust is that it's a waste of time.

I created them from a very small sheet of copper that has been sitting in my shed from way back when I was experimenting with jewellery making. Probably not the most economical approach if I'd have to purchase a sheet now, but it's been sitting there collecting dust for 10 years.

The questions is: should I give it a go? Or still not nearly enough copper to make a dint?

Thanks in advance,
RR
R3dRanga

4L Airstill (teenie!)

Postby RC Al » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:02 pm

Give it a go, if it starts to change colour its working

Looks like enough room to put some copper scrubber in there otherwise?
Last edited by RC Al on Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby R3dRanga » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:12 pm

Hah! Thanks RC Al. That looks far easier than hand cutting 30 or so pieces of copper with blunt sheers. I'll try scrubbers first.

Cheers,
RR
R3dRanga

4L Airstill (teenie!)

Postby Trigger82 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:02 pm

Decided to give this a go with the gin basket and one copper scrubbie.
It did seem to slightly help with the taste, but been so new its hard to say if this was wishful thinking or it did work, In my defence though the wife did say it had altered the taste.
It seemed around the hearts area (second jar 200-400ml) it still had an alcohol bite but another harshness was slightly reduced.
This was just on a sugar wash with the little turbo kit and wasn't stripped prior.

yes yes, already moving on from the turbo gear and using Lowan's, just got a few of the small kits left and some turbo classic 8 for the large fermenter
Trigger82

equipment: Beginner - airstill

Postby Wellsy » Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:41 pm

We all have to start somewhere trigger so don’t apologise for what you use .

You only need to apologise if your start telling everyone the way you do it is the only way to do it and try and convert everyone to your way.

We are all on a journey mate and happy to help when people ask. Enjoy your produce mate
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby mike23000 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:50 pm

Just read this post, sounds interesting.

How are things going a couple of months in?

I used to do 'stripping' and spirit runs in my Airstill, the copper scrubbers in the botanical basket looks like a great idea. If I'd had thought of it I might have gone for copper pot scrubbers and jammed as many in as I could.

Anyway, hows it going?
mike23000

equipment: 2" Alcoengine on digiboil boiler
Air Still

Return to Beginners Questions