Do I need to do stripping runs?

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Do I need to do stripping runs?

Postby doogie » Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:24 pm

Hi Distilling Gurus

Now that I've finished my pot still (copper column and liebig condenser) to go on my T500 boiler I need some advice going forward. I did a gin run in the pot still using some neutral I had made with the T500 reflux column and TPW which turned out OK for a first go.

What I'd like to know is what's the best process going forward? Do I use the pot still to do stripping runs with TPW, then a spirit run or two in the reflux column to get a really clean neutral and then run the neutral back through the pot for my gin runs? Or just put the TPW through the reflux still a couple of times then a gin run through the pot, is there any benefit from doing stripping runs?

Thanks

Doogie
doogie

equipment: T500 with stainless steel column for neutral and homemade 2” copper column and Liebig condenser.

Re: Do I need to do stripping runs?

Postby Lesgold » Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:47 pm

Yep. Stripping runs through the pot and then run low wines through the reflux (keep low wines below 40% abv) saves time in the long run. Strip as quickly as the condenser will allow and reflux slowly taking cuts to find your purest hearts. Then back to the pot for gin runs. Plenty of reading on the site to help you with the process.
Lesgold

equipment: Pure Distilling reflux and pot. 2” modular CCVM/ 1150mm column, 50l boiler with 2x 2400w elements.

Postby doogie » Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:48 pm

Thanks for confirming Les, that's what I thought. My low wines from my first go were at 60%, started at 80% and I stopped at around 40% should I have kept going a bit longer?

Doogie
doogie

equipment: T500 with stainless steel column for neutral and homemade 2” copper column and Liebig condenser.

Postby The Stig » Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:56 pm

The biggest improvement in quality I made when using the T500 was when I started stripping
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Lesgold » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:46 pm

I normally go down to about 20%. After that it becomes a bit inefficient. A lot of power and time for little result. If making a brown spirit, I would go a little lower to extract some of the flavours evident in the tails. Not so for a neutral.
Lesgold

equipment: Pure Distilling reflux and pot. 2” modular CCVM/ 1150mm column, 50l boiler with 2x 2400w elements.

Return to Beginners Questions