Glass vessels what to keep/recycle

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Glass vessels what to keep/recycle

Postby NFI » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:47 am

I am just wondering what glass vessels are worth hanging on to and what's not. If this is covered else where please point me to the right place.
I would assume that any and all commercial spirit bottles with lids should be cleaned an kept as well as any jars (i.e. old peanut butter jars) but our household goes through a few different products that come in glass with or without lids. I am just wondering what is worth keeping (for still related purposes) and what is not so here is some of them (just don't want to kick myself later on for not starting to save them early on). I guess I really need to know what is NOT worth hanging on to and what you use the one's you keep for.
Feel free to add to the list any other types of commercial product vessels that you repurpose for use with the still and indicate what stages you use it for. :greetings-waveyellow:

Glass Beer bottles screw top 375ml (clear and amber)
Glass Soft drink bottles with metal lid 300ml
Glass Wine bottles screw top 750 ml+
Glass Wine bottles corked 750 ml+
NFI
Site Donor

equipment: FSD Mac4 SSG, 500mm copper-packed Section
50L Milkcan twin element boiler

Re: Glass vessels what to keep/recycle

Postby Clickeral » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:20 am

Jam jars with lids are good for collections and cuts
I also keep anything with grolsch tops
Clickeral

equipment: 5 Hectoliters of Fermenting space (120L temp controlled)
12 Plate modular procap bubbler with 1020mm stainless packed sections and super reflux condenser
50L Milk can boiler 2x 2400w or 70L kettle (2x 2200w)
3v nanobrewery mashing

Postby BigRig » Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:14 pm

Any and all glass jars. Once u have a large stash u can swap out the crap.

I have a heap of tomato paste jars and jam jars for cuts collection.
Also have a heap of the large instant coffee (moccona) jars for tails collection.

I have old spirit bottles for spirit storage. I dont like the screw top wine bottles
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby Wellsy » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:19 pm

Everyone has a different view point on these NFI.
We all agree you can never have too many :)
I use the stubbies for my cuts collecting but so much depends on the size of your run.

I also use the 3 litre $5:00 reject shop jars for aging my spirits
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby Amberale » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:42 pm

He Wellsy.
Do you use the standard tops with those jars and what do you reckon the lid sealer is made of?
Plastic/silicon?
I’m not taking the piss, just curious.
I use Passata jars for collection and short term(48hr) storage and I use 2ltr sherry flagons for collection and long term storage.
I make discs from suitable silicon sheet to use as seals in the caps as I am not sure about the long term leeching of plastics from the stock lids.
I am slowly changing over from screw top spirit bottles to all cork ones.
I just need my wealthy nephews and mates to up their drinking programs and stop throwing out the corks. :(
Amberale

equipment: 5* Neutraliser.

Postby Amberale » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:43 pm

Some sparkling wine corks fit the 2litre flagon necks perfectly.
Amberale

equipment: 5* Neutraliser.

Postby Wellsy » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:11 pm

Hello Amber
Not sure what they are made of mate, I only store them upright as I don’t believe they are airtight so can’t risk the leakage.
I have heard of people wrapping the seals in plumbers silicon tape but I have not done that
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby NFI » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:23 am

Thankfully up here in QLD we keep all beer and soft drink bottles for deposit refund so I have no shortages of them in the shed. Wine, spirit, passata, jam, coffee etc are not covered under the refund scheme so I will have to make a concerted effort to rescue those items from the recyle.

BigRig wrote:I dont like the screw top wine bottles

With most commercial spirits being a screw top bottle, what are your concerns with the screw top wine bottles? Just curious.

Cheers and thanks to all for for your guidance. :text-thankyoublue:
NFI
Site Donor

Postby Clickeral » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:16 pm

Amberale wrote:He Wellsy.
Do you use the standard tops with those jars and what do you reckon the lid sealer is made of?
Plastic/silicon?
I’m not taking the piss, just curious.
I use Passata jars for collection and short term(48hr) storage and I use 2ltr sherry flagons for collection and long term storage.
I make discs from suitable silicon sheet to use as seals in the caps as I am not sure about the long term leeching of plastics from the stock lids.
I am slowly changing over from screw top spirit bottles to all cork ones.
I just need my wealthy nephews and mates to up their drinking programs and stop throwing out the corks. :(

I use these jars also but swapped the seals for 3" triclamp seals that are alcohol safe
Clickeral

equipment: 5 Hectoliters of Fermenting space (120L temp controlled)
12 Plate modular procap bubbler with 1020mm stainless packed sections and super reflux condenser
50L Milk can boiler 2x 2400w or 70L kettle (2x 2200w)
3v nanobrewery mashing

Postby Wellsy » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:09 pm

Thanks for the tip Clickeral

I might just have to try that option :)
Wellsy

Postby B-Man » Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:58 am

I try and keep it simple

Stubbies to collect in. let it air for a few days sometimes ends up a few weeks.
mix it in some big stainless pots and put into spirit bottles for essences or some 5L demi's to oak.
Feints go into old beer kegs.
B-Man

equipment: keg 4" Bubbler

Postby BigRig » Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:55 am

NFI wrote:Thankfully up here in QLD we keep all beer and soft drink bottles for deposit refund so I have no shortages of them in the shed. Wine, spirit, passata, jam, coffee etc are not covered under the refund scheme so I will have to make a concerted effort to rescue those items from the recyle.

BigRig wrote:I dont like the screw top wine bottles

With most commercial spirits being a screw top bottle, what are your concerns with the screw top wine bottles? Just curious.

We only drink red wine, I don't like being unable to see the contents (especially when filling). :teasing-neener:

I have about 60 clear rum, vodka and scotch bottles which are perfect.
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby B-Man » Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:48 pm

we also hit up the local pubs and get their used spirit bottles. some with caps some without,... have asked for them to keep for us.... see what happens...
B-Man

equipment: keg 4" Bubbler

Postby NFI » Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:50 pm

BigRig wrote:We only drink red wine, I don't like being unable to see the contents (especially when filling).

Now it makes sense. :oops:

B-Man wrote:we also hit up the local pubs and get their used spirit bottles. some with caps some without,... have asked for them to keep for us.... see what happens...

Yep - I think I can do that - Simple and effective :handgestures-thumbupleft:
NFI
Site Donor

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:10 pm

Also checkout the bottle collection mobs as you may get lucky, i was in my local and saw a crate of 2 litre goon bottles so got 18 of them for under $10 :handgestures-thumbupleft: They have come in handy for storing my 90% neutral so i can keep a check on how many are left so I can put more ferments on so i don't run out again
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Return to Beginners Questions