Help! Confused after Sacrificial run

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Help! Confused after Sacrificial run

Postby FlippedOut » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:02 am

Warning - Long detailed post ahead... :scared-eek:

Newbie here but I have a decent brewing background so get the concepts particularly around fermentation.

Laid down a 25L TPW using 5kg of sugar - Initial reading 1.066, bubbled away for 6 days. Left for another 2 days, took a FG reading on day 8 of 0.988... By my calculation a little over 10%

Have the kegland alcoengine reflux still to go atop my 35L robobrew/brewzilla - 1900w/500w elements

Cleaned the still... Initially in the dishwasher, then a soak in 551 solution, then a 50/50 vinegar run for 2hours

Onto the sacrificial run... Using the 1mm restrictor nozzle

Both elements on to heat up, turn water on (Main water fully on) at 50C, turned off 500w element, only using 1900w.. I kept the collection tap shut and it did what i expected.. It shot up to 82.3C then slowly dropped to 77.8C and seemed to stabilise here for a few mins.. Boiler temp 92C... 

Then temp dropped and it started spitting and boiling out the top of the still - it would appear the condenser couldn't knock down at 1900w... Swapped to 500w element, in my opinion it felt like 500w was not enough - it was holding at 77.6C for a bit then would drop down to 77.2C then back up... I also noticed the boiler was now flicking between 91C and 92C... Hence why i was thinking 500w is not enough. I put on the insulation jacket to try and help... and it seemed to hold steady for a while at 77.6C, so i opened up the tap and started collecting

Temp jumped up to 77.9C and then kept increasing 0.1 degrees every 5 or so minutes.

After 30mins I had collected 250mls and swapped jars, temp was now at 79.1C. I tested the purity and got a reading of 94% from this jar.. Smelt like Metho

Temp continued to rise slowly and after 2hrs temp hit 80C Jar 2-3 purity was lower at 91%

I collected another 2 jars (250mls each) and switched the still off, column reading was now 87.2C, boiler was 94C and I tested the last jar at 87% and was defiantly wet dog/cardboard smell

So now I'm pretty confused.. Did the wash not finish fermenting? Column packing too tight or loose? Leak somewhere? Boiler wattage not enough? Thermometer broken? Something else?

:text-thankyoublue:
FlippedOut

equipment: Alcoengine reflux

Re: Help! Confused after Sacrificial run

Postby PeterC » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:33 pm

I think your wash was OK. I had a small still similar to the alcoengine and also had problems with it choking. I repacked it with stainless steel mesh scrubbies and this helped. It had a 1500W element and got a power controller for it. Eventually however I got a taller still to get better separation and purity.
Good luck.
PeterC

equipment: An 18gall. (80L) keg boiler. A 50L Keg boiler. A 4 plate, 4 inch glass column, 500mm packed section Carter head. A 1.8L all copper micro still for small batches of Gin. Plus other bits.

Postby BigRig » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:45 pm

I had the same (boka or LM) still set up when i first started and it did an ok job until i was ready to upgrade.

I would say the packing is too tight, once the vapour has pushed through the packing and condensed it was unable to drop back down and start the process over again. You should be able to blow through the tower with little resistance.

You should be able to run the 1900w no problem with out spitting out the top. What temp do u have the boiler set at ? I found the best set temp was 105c. Seemed to make a good rolling boil without pulsing.

With this still you will find the temp rise of 1 full degree will signal tails.

The seller suggests to shut the valve off again and let it reflux for 10 - 20 mins then open up and keep collecting. I wouldnt do this as its still tails.

Mine would heat up and temp would bounce a little then settle at 78.2 - once it settled, i would leave it in full reflux for 30mins. Then as i am collecting 250ml fores it quickly went to 78.4c but then wouldnt move for hours, it will then start going up again gradually. As soon as it hit 79.0 i stopped.

The thermometers they supply are not accurate but as long as it stabilises you will have an idea of when tails starts. Dont rely on it though when doing cuts, your taste and smell will be best.
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby FlippedOut » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:41 am

Thanks guys! I'll remove some packing and see if it improves
FlippedOut

equipment: Alcoengine reflux

Return to Beginners Questions