Noob temp controller query

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Noob temp controller query

Postby rushn » Sun May 02, 2021 1:18 pm

Hey all,

I received my Alcoengine reflux and 35L DigiBoil combo last week from KegLand. I also got their temperature controller to help automate the process, and also because I thought it would be more accurate then the cheapo probe gauge included. I ran a vinegar run, then a sacrificial run. On the sac run I was running at the full 2400W (noob) and had the still puke product from the top.

After being told to run at 1900W, I then ran my first 24L TPW. I was mostly happy with the results.

What I’m unsure of though is the accuracy of the temp controller. I didn’t use it this time to cut off the boiler as it’s intended, as I’m still learning. The temps reported seem to be fluctuating quite a lot during the run. Initially it settled at 78.2 but went as high as 78.5 during the first 30 mins or so. Sometimes the temp dropped to 77.9, then settled between 77.8 and 78 for a bit (but always fluctuating). It got as low as 77.4 at one point and as high as 80, with only around 1L collected (so not into the tails). Always rising and dropping in temp.

I stuck the cheapo probe gauge in to test and it settled at 78.5 +/- 0.2 for a good 20mins. Nowhere near the fluctuation of the controller.

I’d like to be able to rely on the temp controller to help with the cut-off point of the run, but don’t think I can at this stage, as I’ve read to shut down when the temp rises +1 degree from stable during hearts. Everything else during the run was stable (no other variables) - constant water flow, inside with no breeze, boiler set to 103, etc.

Help a noob please! :smile:

Edit: apologies, I didn’t realise mentioning a businesses name represented ‘advertising’. Duly Noted. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Last edited by rushn on Sun May 02, 2021 1:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rushn

equipment: Modular SS on Digiboil

Re: Noob temp controller query

Postby BigRig » Sun May 02, 2021 3:49 pm

Another new member had similar questions with the same set up. Might provide some answers

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=14029#p239135

Is it a temp controller or power controller ?
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby rushn » Sun May 02, 2021 4:38 pm

Temperature controller (heat/cool).
rushn

Postby Clickeral » Sun May 02, 2021 4:49 pm

Hey where about are you located?

I personally find that running off temp isn't the best way to go (good for records etc and extra reference) but running off taste/smell and ABV is a better way to go

Happy to give some tips if you need
Clickeral

equipment: 5 Hectoliters of Fermenting space (120L temp controlled)
12 Plate modular procap bubbler with 1020mm stainless packed sections and super reflux condenser
50L Milk can boiler 2x 2400w or 70L kettle (2x 2200w)
3v nanobrewery mashing

Postby BigRig » Sun May 02, 2021 4:53 pm

rushn wrote:Temperature controller (heat/cool).

Is it the MKII - Temperature Controller (Heat & Cool) [4mm Probe for Distillation] ?
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby rushn » Sun May 02, 2021 6:17 pm

Clickeral wrote:Hey where about are you located?

I personally find that running off temp isn't the best way to go (good for records etc and extra reference) but running off taste/smell and ABV is a better way to go

Happy to give some tips if you need

Wagga Wagga, NSW.

I’m sure I’ll have many questions :smile:

Thanks for the advice - I’m not exactly sure what you mean - I had thought that temps were important, as in, when the still is in reflux, when to open the valve to begin collecting, when to shut down, etc.
rushn

Postby rushn » Sun May 02, 2021 6:18 pm

BigRig wrote:

Is it the MKII - Temperature Controller (Heat & Cool) [4mm Probe for Distillation] ?

That’s the one.
rushn

Postby BigRig » Sun May 02, 2021 6:40 pm

rushn wrote:
BigRig wrote:

That’s the one.

Those temp controllers are only good for temp settings during the fermentation process.

Also the digiboil already has a PID controller where u can set a particular temp and it will maintain that temp within 2c -/+.

The temp controller and the digiboil are essentially trying to do the same job so would be counterproductive.

Using a boka the temp on the thermometer is not important as they are not always accurate. Having a stable temp is, that's when you know it's reached equilibrium. Once there you can leave it in reflux for 30 mins before opening up the valve and collecting spirit. The temp will rise over time as the ethanol is depleted.
BigRig

Postby rushn » Sun May 02, 2021 7:33 pm

BigRig wrote:
rushn wrote:
BigRig wrote:

Those temp controllers are only good for temp settings during the fermentation process.

Also the digiboil already has a PID controller where u can set a particular temp and it will maintain that temp within 2c -/+.

The temp controller and the digiboil are essentially trying to do the same job so would be counterproductive.

Using a boka the temp on the thermometer is not important as they are not always accurate. Having a stable temp is, that's when you know it's reached equilibrium. Once there you can leave it in reflux for 30 mins before opening up the valve and collecting spirit. The temp will rise over time as the ethanol is depleted.

This lot sell this temp controller as useful for distilling - that’s why I bought it. It has a ‘mode’ for setting a shut-off temp without it cycling on and off to maintain a set temperature like one would want for fermenting.

The issue is that the temp reading displayed ISN’T stable, that was my initial concern and query. It varies to a degree that I’m not sure is accurate.

As I understand it, the DigiBoil temperature unit is a simple thermostat controlled jobbie, in that it will cycle the elements on and off to attempt to maintain a set temperature - not ideal for distilling where a constant boil at a set wattage is required. I’m happy to be corrected on this point.

Apologies if I’m not understanding correctly - I’m pretty green at this game.

Cheers
rushn

Postby RC Al » Sun May 02, 2021 9:38 pm

:text-+1: with bigrig
You are correct, the simple answer is that you need to set watts not temperature.

There is no temperature setting to run a boiler, the boiling point of a wash changes constantly and the challenge is to match your rate of boil vs the refux used vs the rate of take off.
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Return to Beginners Questions