White dog recipes

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

White dog recipes

Postby Wellsy » Sun May 16, 2021 4:49 pm

Hey guys
I understand everything in the tried and true could be drunk as white dog rather than oaking it.
I am really interested to see what people drink almost straight off the still , if in fact anything.
On a recent holiday break in Geelong I came across a moonshine white lightning that tasted a hint of licorice and as smooth as silk while imparting a magnificent warmth. I suspect I just discovered bubbler smoothness as the blurb said it was 6 times distilled but I am not sure if it could be believed as I had not read it on the internet :laughing-rolling:
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Re: White dog recipes

Postby BigRig » Sun May 16, 2021 5:15 pm

Assuming white dog has to be unoaked brown spirit ?

Of the recipes i have tried i think macs rum is the only one i will drink as white dog, wouldn't necessarily drink it off the still but rested for a week unoaked is delish.

I haven't tried BWKO or NGW yet
Last edited by BigRig on Sun May 16, 2021 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby Wellsy » Sun May 16, 2021 5:22 pm

White dog can be anything big rig, I think lol, hence the question.
Just looking for a recipe for the impatient lol.
I think traditionally it has been a corn mash sold as moonshine in the states but again I am unsure hence the question.
Thanks for the recommendation and yes a week or two wait time is not unreasonable lol
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun May 16, 2021 5:48 pm

I had a dram today of that Angel yeast corn/barley ferment I did white dog and man was it nice, it has sat in the 2 litre glass bottle at still strength will the lid put on loose so the angels can get their share and I reckon this will stay as white dog and provide a shed dram for a while to come. It's the same with the corn run I did full sweet taste without the oak.

Now i will do a few more angel yeast runs just to use up the yeast and that will be the end of it for that yeast. My AG has finally aged enough to bottle so that will be blended and bottled and I'll get some more grain to do another AG run to Oak
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby bluc » Sun May 16, 2021 6:22 pm

:text-+1:
Loving angel 100% corn white :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Nathan02 » Sun May 16, 2021 8:13 pm

Yep the 100% corn angel is a very tasty drop indeed. Trying to keep my hands off it. Have 160 litres of corn angel mash nearly ready to send through the 6" bubbler
Nathan02

equipment: 6" 4 plate bubbler with optional packed section.

Postby Wellsy » Sun May 16, 2021 8:46 pm

Thanks guys, been looking to do a corn based vodka, had not considered an all grain option.
Just ran my first spirit run with angel yeast corn, rye, barley mix. Hearts smelt a bit tailsy but tasted fine, might be a winter experiment given it is a slow fermenter at the best of times.
Might need t9 run it through the potty a few times to get the right smoothness
Wellsy

Postby RC Al » Tue May 18, 2021 9:42 pm

I love white, I've done a bunch of the cerial and a few different grain washes, only one single bottle has seen oak.

When I started, I read alot of posts where people poured thier first oaked stuff out or re-ran it as the stuff they were making 2 years later was better off the spout.

I Figgued its the lipstick on a pig thing and have held off until i was happy with my cuts and working on idetifying how the ratios of grains affect flavours before oak is added, recent feedback suggests Im doing pretty darn good so some innocent oak shal meet some axe and flame soon.

Doubt I'll stop drinking white until I have a very full rickhouse :))
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby Dude » Wed May 19, 2021 8:05 am

I am about to RE run all the T500 oaked I have made as it is crap. The white coming off the home made pot is far superior.
Dude

equipment: Turbo 500. 50L pot still with 2 x 2400W heaters, shotgun condenser, reflux condenser. Building a cooling system.

Postby Sam. » Wed May 19, 2021 8:42 am

RC Al wrote:I love white, I've done a bunch of the cerial and a few different grain washes, only one single bottle has seen oak.

When I started, I read alot of posts where people poured thier first oaked stuff out or re-ran it as the stuff they were making 2 years later was better off the spout.

I Figgued its the lipstick on a pig thing and have held off until i was happy with my cuts and working on idetifying how the ratios of grains affect flavours before oak is added, recent feedback suggests Im doing pretty darn good so some innocent oak shal meet some axe and flame soon.

Doubt I'll stop drinking white until I have a very full rickhouse :))

Smart man :clap:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Return to Beginners Questions