Blended whiskies

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Blended whiskies

Postby Wrenchmonkey » Sat May 22, 2021 4:49 pm

A quick one to see what people prefer. Obviously we would all like to find those perfect grain bills that we love and it’s a lot of fun trying different ratios and different grains etc, but does anybody just make generic ‘shine’ purely as an additive for blending? Like making an 80/20 corn and barley wash, distill it and put it aside. Make a 60/40 rye and corn and do the same and then another 60/40 barley and wheat and put it aside as well. Then when you get a bit of a supply of these spirits, a strong corn one and a strong rye one etc, you blend up different mixes to see what you like?
You could effectively have a bunch of base ingredients to make various different bourbons/whiskeys and then age them separately and have different results again. Massive variations and potential from 2-4 different washes.
Thoughts??
Wrenchmonkey

equipment: Home made now but still have an air still for fun little tests.

Re: Blended whiskies

Postby Wrenchmonkey » Sat May 22, 2021 5:05 pm

Or even more like, a wash of 100% corn, one of 100% rye, one of 100% barley and one of 100% wheat. Then blend in various ratios afterwards. Rather than trying to make the perfect percentage grain bill in one wash you could have hundreds of different small variations from 4 washes.
Wrenchmonkey

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat May 22, 2021 5:16 pm

Hi Mate how about popping into the welcome forum and introduce yourself as it does look like your onto the right path but eh it is nice to do an intro first :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Wellsy » Sat May 22, 2021 5:53 pm

So lots of options with using 4 blends, but then throw in the variations the different woods can give, as well as adding the variations the different toasting temperatures can give and the combinations are almost endless
Welcome to asylum mate
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby bluc » Sat May 22, 2021 6:49 pm

Fermenting seperate and blending vs fermenting together does not yield same result having said that Yes i sometimes do 100% corn to water down other flavours(rye) in my corn whiskey.
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Wrenchmonkey » Sat May 22, 2021 8:17 pm

Thanks guys. I’ve got a nice 4 grain on the go at the moment and as the mine wonders, I got to thinking about this and I think I’ll give it a go. Absolutely nothing to lose! I’ve also posted in the newbie corner, it was about time :)
Wrenchmonkey

Return to Beginners Questions