Copper or stainless steel.

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Re: Copper or stainless steel.

Postby Wellsy » Sun May 23, 2021 8:47 pm

I have not used a bola, or any reflux still mate.
I went with a pot still and had never run, or seen , a still run before I got mine mate.
Pot stills must be easy to use mate because I have been able to drink everything that mine has produce, drink and enjoy I should say. The pot still has given me so much experience and now I am looking to upgrade a little and grab a bubbler. I would never have been in this position if it was not for the support of 5 star and the very generous support of the members of this forum. What ever path you chose people will be here to give you advice and guidance should you want it :)
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby bluc » Sun May 23, 2021 8:55 pm

bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Kashie » Mon May 24, 2021 9:08 am

[quote="Wellsy"]I have not used a bola, or any reflux still mate.
I went with a pot still and had never run, or seen , a still run before I got mine mate.
Pot stills must be easy to use mate because I have been able to drink everything that mine has produce, drink and enjoy I should say. The pot still has given me so much experience and now I am looking to upgrade a little and grab a bubbler.

Hi Wellsy have you got a pic and some Info on your pot still. If I get a visual on things I have more of an idea of what ita about and gives me ideas on building mine. I've been reading and reading constantly and the Info in this forum is endless some very cluey people in here.
Kashie

equipment: Don't have any equipment completely new to this but am very keen to learn as much as possible and to hopefully have a setup that will make some good product.

Postby Wellsy » Mon May 24, 2021 8:24 pm

If you look at the five star site mine is the 4 inch pot still mate with the parrot attached, this sits on the 50 litre boiler
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby Kashie » Mon May 24, 2021 8:45 pm

Wellsy wrote:If you look at the five star site mine is the 4 inch pot still mate with the parrot attached, this sits on the 50 litre boiler

That's a sexy looking bit of gear. Here I am looking at building one and that things a piece of bloody art.
Kashie

equipment: Don't have any equipment completely new to this but am very keen to learn as much as possible and to hopefully have a setup that will make some good product.

Postby RuddyCrazy » Mon May 24, 2021 9:01 pm

Eh Kashie if you can make it down to Kanmantoo I'll fire up my bubbler when your here to show just how it all works and you will be blown away mate. I do have 120 litres of TPW to strip then the spirit run is done over 4 plates and a 500mm packed section and in that config my still is 2.4 metres high :laughing-rolling:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Kashie » Mon May 24, 2021 9:43 pm

RuddyCrazy wrote:Eh Kashie if you can make it down to Kanmantoo I'll fire up my bubbler when your here to show just how it all works and you will be blown away mate. I do have 120 litres of TPW to strip then the spirit run is done over 4 plates and a 500mm packed section and in that config my still is 2.4 metres high :laughing-rolling:

Cheers Bryan

I'd love to come have a look one day. Probably won't be for a while as it's the silly season for me at the moment. Being a farmer makes it hard to go to far from home alot of the time. But yeah when I get some free time I'll hopefully be able to let you know we'll in advance and can have a catch up.
Cheers kev. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kashie

Postby B-Man » Mon May 24, 2021 11:54 pm

I got my copper after advertising on Facebook.

Hitup plumbers, wineries etc. Think of anyone that might use copper.
Even a plumber might be able to buy some for you through reece. They get rediculous trade discounts through there.

What part of SA are you? N S E W?
Last edited by B-Man on Mon May 24, 2021 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B-Man

equipment: keg 4" Bubbler

Postby Wellsy » Tue May 25, 2021 5:12 am

Kashie I am blown away with both the performance a looks of my still. It is modular so I can add as many plates as I want, I should say can afford, once I am ready to take the next step.
I have no building skills at all so was happy to buy what I needed, I was just lucky enough that I stumbled across this forum before I had spent the money.
Give Andrew a call at 5star a call and he will give you no pressure no none sense answers, I can recommend his after sales service highly enough mate. All the gear is modular so if you build the right size still you may be able to add the more complicated bits to it.
Wellsy

Postby rushn » Tue May 25, 2021 1:49 pm

Are you dead set on building Kashie, or would you consider buying for the right (inexpensive) price?

I purchased a cheap boka as a starting point, and reckon it was a great introduction to the craft for minimal outlay while I learned the ins and outs.

Disclaimer: I'm not attempting to sell anything.
rushn

equipment: Modular SS on Digiboil

Postby Kashie » Tue May 25, 2021 8:24 pm

rushn wrote:Are you dead set on building Kashie, or would you consider buying for the right (inexpensive) price?

I purchased a cheap boka as a starting point, and reckon it was a great introduction to the craft for minimal outlay while I learned the ins and outs.

I am keen on building my own but if one came up at the right price as you said inexpensive :laughing-rolling: I could be swayed to purchase one and still build something my self also. Where did you buy your boka? Still trying to get my head around different stills also but I've came across a ccvm I think it is which looks like a good idea. Knowing me I'll end up with 10 different stills cause I'll probably get into building them bloody hopeless like that.
Cheers kev.
Kashie

Postby RuddyCrazy » Tue May 25, 2021 9:05 pm

Eh Kashie PM me where abouts you are and maybe I can come for a drive up one weekend and I'll bring a bottle of my finest and a few more goodie's. :handgestures-thumbupleft: Now to get you started you can also have a loan of my 2" SS pot still that has a 5 litre boiler, this was the first still I made and I still use today for doing small brandy runs and with the PC just connect 1/2" black ag tube no clips or clamps needed.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby rushn » Wed May 26, 2021 12:22 pm

Kashie wrote:
rushn wrote:Are you dead set on building Kashie, or would you consider buying for the right (inexpensive) price?

I am keen on building my own but if one came up at the right price as you said inexpensive :laughing-rolling: I could be swayed to purchase one and still build something my self also. Where did you buy your boka? Still trying to get my head around different stills also but I've came across a ccvm I think it is which looks like a good idea. Knowing me I'll end up with 10 different stills cause I'll probably get into building them bloody hopeless like that.
Cheers kev.

Only asking Kev, 'cause if you just wanna get started to learn the ropes, then something like the AlcoEngine Reflux boka still is as gooda place as any to begin. $180 + boiler of your choice. If ya handy, you can even mod it down the track.

Cheers
rushn

equipment: Modular SS on Digiboil

Previous

Return to Beginners Questions