Oranges or grapefruits

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Oranges or grapefruits

Postby Wellsy » Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:35 pm

Has anybody fermented these before ?
I have a ruby grapefruit tree and an orange tree both with good amounts of fruit. I have some EC1118 yeast, yes I know it is slow, and am looking to ferment these fruits if possible. I just have no idea on ratios of fruit to sugar.
Any suggestions would be most appreciated, can ferment in a 60 litre barrel or 200
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Re: Oranges or grapefruits

Postby iOnaBender » Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:47 pm

Wellsy,

I have no idea being a newbie, but maybe follow Mac's Lemon Vodka recipe and subsitute lemon for oranges/grapefruit?
iOnaBender
Site Donor

equipment: FSD 4" Mac 5 SSG
125ltr NANO Pro boiler
FSD 2" Pot Still
75ltr Insulated Mash Tun
95ltr HLT

Postby Wellsy » Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:46 am

Don’t you just hate it when you miss the obvious lol

Thanks bender
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:46 am

G'Day Wellsy,
Mate if your going into into fruit you do need to get yaself a refractometer so at a glance you can see the brix/sugar content of the chosen fruit. Now by freezing the pulp of the fruit does bring out more of the sugars and from my trials of doing this it does raise the brix a point or 2. :handgestures-thumbupleft: Also put on the shopping list some litmus paper so one can see the PH easily as some fruit can be a tad acidic.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Wellsy » Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:31 am

Thanks Bryan
I thought the refractometer might have been a necessary tool of the trade
Looks like I am off shopping again. As for freezing the pulp the grapefruit won’t be a problem but the oranges might be.
The only thing stopping me from eating an orange is having to peel it, and if I have to peel them all then I might be eating as many as I freeze lol
Wellsy

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:39 am

Wellsy these days when I do fruit SWMBO comes home with a couple to a few buckets and I say well pulp it then chuck it in the freezer and I'll look at it next weekend. I do take a Brix reading before freezing and one after to see if there is any change.

My latest as already recorded is Quince and yes in these cooler months it will take 2-3 months to ferment out, now that you have the bubbler it may pay to bump up the SG with some inverted sugar to get the ferment to 1070 and have enough for a full boiler run then just put it over 4 plates. Now on saying that what I have found with fruit by stripping first ends up with a much better end result.

Just be aware with fruit it can take around 12 months of aging to really bring the best out so the ol' adage of "hurry up and wait " does apply to doing fruit :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Wellsy » Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:28 am

Thanks again Bryan
I know you have a shed load of experience with fruit so appreciate your sharing of experience
Wellsy

Postby Teddysad » Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:36 pm

With both of these, remove as much of the pith as possible. I generally use all the centre, and 50 to 60% of the skin after de-pithing it
Teddysad

equipment: FSD 4"SSG with packed column 50l Boiler keg. Alex 25 for smaller scale runs

Postby Wellsy » Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:43 pm

I have to ask the silly question
Is there an easy way to do this or is it as labour intensive as it sounds ?
You might be getting the hint that I like to do things the easy way :laughing-rolling:
Wellsy

Postby BigRig » Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:35 pm

Aranciata is another thing u could try. That way you dont need to ferment the fruit. Ruby grapefruit would be a killer recipe too.
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby dazzerthemighty » Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:40 pm

Wellsy wrote:I have to ask the silly question
Is there an easy way to do this or is it as labour intensive as it sounds ?
You might be getting the hint that I like to do things the easy way :laughing-rolling:

Use a peeler on the whole fruit for the rind, then chuck in the freezer, pull out leave for a day to defrost, cut in half, run on a old elec juicer ..... or if you just happen to have a wine press?
dazzerthemighty
Site Donor

equipment: 2"Nixon Head, 2" Pot-Head & 2" Condenser on a 50Lt keg boiler with 2x 2400wt elements, Power controller

Postby Wellsy » Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:58 am

Thanks Dazzer
Wellsy

Return to Beginners Questions