Low wines and Volumes.

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Low wines and Volumes.

Postby Hagrid » Sun May 20, 2012 6:18 am

I was hoping for a bit of clarification.
So I have started my molasses wash in anticipation of the pot still that is being made for me. Don't know if I am meant to drop names here so I won't just yet. I am very happy with the pic so far and getting very excited :dance: . It is a 50lt pot still.
After I run the wash through a stripping run I will have ?low wines at about 40%abv. The low wines won't cover the elements and so I will need to put water in first to cover the element. My question is will the water weaken the flavour on the spirit run in comparison to making enough wash to fill the pot with low wines.
Hagrid

equipment: Hand made pot.
VM 3"
4"Mac SSG

Re: Low wines and Volumes.

Postby victorski » Sun May 20, 2012 9:41 am

Howdy!

After I run the wash through a stripping run I will have low wines at about 40%abv. Yes, on your stripping run you just need to run it down to 20% ABV and this will generally give you an overall ABV of 40%

The low wines won't cover the elements and so I will need to put water in first to cover the element. My question is will the water weaken the flavour on the spirit run in comparison to making enough wash to fill the pot with low wines. I assume you are making rum ? The flavour usually comes after doing a few generations so I wouldn't suggest attempting a spirit run so soon (unless it's for white rum). What most of us do 4-5 stripping runs and collect enough low wines to have a 40L at 40% spirit run, it'll save you a whole heap of time and trouble :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers,
Victor
victorski

equipment: 2.5" Pot Still with 50L Keg Boiler

Low wines and Volumes.

Postby Sam. » Sun May 20, 2012 9:45 am

If you water it down past 40% say back to around 10% you are not going to achieve the higher abv out of your pot still to get around that 65% mark for aging
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby MacStill » Sun May 20, 2012 10:42 am

Watering down will dilute flavour, you'll want to fill your boiler with low wines from at least a few stripping runs. ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Low wines and Volumes.

Postby Rumdrinker » Sun May 20, 2012 10:45 am

For my rum I continue stripping wash until I have enough low wines for a full spirit run. This usually takes me about 3 or maybe 4 stripping runs of wash, which I run a maximum of 32 litres with a heavy molasses wash to avoid puking.
I then run ~40 litres of 40% abv low wines through either my pot still or the LM reflux still detuned to pull 85% abv.
Rumdrinker

equipment: Electric & HP gas Keg boilers. 4" pot still for stripping & rum, Bubbler in the making.....

Postby Hagrid » Sun May 20, 2012 2:42 pm

Thanks all
That's what I thought.
Need to make some more wash.
Hagrid

equipment: Hand made pot.
VM 3"
4"Mac SSG

Postby MacStill » Sun May 20, 2012 4:39 pm

Hagrid wrote: Don't know if I am meant to drop names here so I won't just yet. I am very happy with the pic so far and getting very excited :dance:

Doubt he'd mind mate, after all it is your rig :D

Just show us the fucken thing :teasing-tease: :laughing-rolling: :teasing-tease:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Cane Toad » Sun May 20, 2012 5:38 pm

Being mainly a UJ drinker,but still quite partial to a rum or 10,but only the stuff I make,can't stand that Bundy shit :puke-huge: You'll find that if you add some wash when doing your spirit run,it'll make a huge difference :handgestures-thumbupleft: I'm sure most folks will agree.
I'm on about the 15th or 16th gen of UJ ATM,lost count :laughing-rolling: and about the same for rum,what I've been doing is,1 stripping run and then add it to the next wash and doing a spirit run.Works for me,but that's the beauty of this hobby,do what you want,and if it don't work or taste right,put it back through :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Anywayet us know how you go :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby R-sole » Mon May 21, 2012 3:52 am

There's not much to show in pictures yet. Still waiting on some bits from China that should be here in a couple of days. I'll be out in the shed soldering today.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Return to Beginners Questions