Re using oak staves

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Re using oak staves

Postby Wellsy » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:21 pm

Hey guys lots of whiskeys seem to re use oak previously used in bourbon barrels.
If using previously used oak should it be retoasted or just used as is to get the genuine effect.
Thanks in advance
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Re: Re using oak staves

Postby RuddyCrazy » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:39 pm

I do re-use mine that I cut from my big domino, just let them dry out naturally then scrape off the old char then when ready to use just char again. Now I do put in new oak aswell and the max I do is 7 grams a litre. As some say suspend the dominos but I just let gravity do it's job and every few months when I have a dram to check on the progress the demi gets a good shake. Now I do mark the used chips so they are only used twice by simply hacksawing part way thru on the long edge which does expose that little bit more of long grain.
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Wellsy » Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:17 am

Thanks Bryan
None of mine have actually been charred, just toasted, so I might just char them for a different type of flavour profile.
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby BSC_Kilby » Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:41 pm

Depends on why the distillery purchased the specific oak. If it's because it's decent quality and a great price, you'd probably expect to re-toast and maybe char if you want the filtration knowing that you're not after the flavours and aromas left by the barrels previous occupant. If you're after imparting sherry flavour in a SMW you'd be aiming to keep the barrels as close to the condition they were in when they got emptied as possible.

My understanding of toast vs char is that toast gives the flavour and colour and char provides filtration via adsorption to remove/reduce negative characteristics in the new make.
BSC_Kilby

equipment: Big still

Return to Beginners Questions