Wash Specific gravity

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Wash Specific gravity

Postby Geoff0409 » Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:38 pm

I have just finished a sugar wash using 6kg sugar made to 27litres with turbo yeast and carbon. Did not check sg before I started. Stopped bubbling yesterday and showed sg of .900 using new hydrometer

Is this possible in some way or should I suspect a faulty hydrometer
Geoff0409

equipment: Air Still

Re: Wash Specific gravity

Postby Bourbon_Knight » Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:00 pm

Hi Geoff0409

I've read of others getting a FG reading of 0.900, although I've never achieved that myself.

According to this online calculator https://chasethecraft.com/calculators/#sugarwash adding 6kg sugar to make a total volume of 27 litres would result in a specific gravity of 1.0893, which would equate to 13.7% ABV, give or take.

You could always confirm the calibration of your hydrometer in distilled water, just to be sure.
Or could also make a very small sugar wash with known SG from the calculator above to confirm your new hydrometer?

good luck
BK
Bourbon_Knight

equipment: BrewZilla / AlcoEngine Pot 'Chester' (Chester Copperpot - now archived)
'Excalibur' - 5Star 4" Modular on modded keg

Re: Wash Specific gravity

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:11 pm

Geoff0409 wrote:I have just finished a sugar wash using 6kg sugar made to 27litres with turbo yeast and carbon.

I hope this wash is going to used as cleaning run as anything using turbo yeast is like polishing a stool and no matter how much you polish it it is still a stool now go look at the medical term for a crap and insert where I said stool as they are the same thing.

Given that you have a air still read up on threads where other members use them with some good results for a new comer :handgestures-thumbupleft:
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Return to Beginners Questions