Setting up a micro-distillery in a bar

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Re: Setting up a micro-distillery in a bar

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:37 am

G'Day Green,
It does seem to look like your situation is unique so it may be best to just get online to the ATO and look at the legalities etc, there is a heap of help there as I did do this a few years ago only to find SWMBO saying if I went this path it's bye bye :angry-banghead:

Eh mate if you can get over to SA you are welcome to come here for a weekend and i can show a true moonshine style where only the best is made and everyone that tastes it keeps saying to me to go legit :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I can show you how to make brandies etc as it just so easy once learns how to do it :handgestures-thumbupleft: right, we are all here to help you out so you can open your eyes to this craft :handgestures-thumbupleft: where the best drop is made in he comfort of your own space.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby greenstiller » Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:57 pm

Yeah it's a bit unique. We happen to have a bar a few months with nothing to do but look for ways to diversify. Always been interested in the craft and looking forward to getting stuck into it.
greenstiller

equipment: Still working out what to get!

Postby greenstiller » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:00 am

We are looking to hire someone to help us get set up who has experience working in/or has a licensed distillery. If anyone knows anyone in the Melbourne area who would be interested in helping out please let me know.

I'm also going to make a few more posts just to get over 10 so people can PM me!!!
greenstiller

Postby greenstiller » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:01 am

Two more!
greenstiller

Postby greenstiller » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:01 am

Last one!
greenstiller

Postby The Stig » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:02 am

What’s your location ?
It might be hard with all the lockdowns going on at the moment
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby greenstiller » Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:29 am

We are in Abbotsford. We are an authorised workplace so if it works out you would be able to travel to the bar during lockdown.
greenstiller

Postby greenstiller » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:00 pm

We’ve also gotten the tick from VCGLR and the Local council. So we just need an ATO licence and presumably a tick from worksafe and we are off and running.
greenstiller

Postby Wellsy » Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:46 pm

Not been down the road myself but from what others have told me the ATO is the easy bit. Council can be the biggest issue. I am guessing but with the ATO it will be all about maths and just how you are going to measure and record things to ensure they get their pound of flesh.
Once lock downs are over mate I will be definitely pooping in for a quiet beer , a taste and a chat. There are 3 or 4 of us been wanting to have a catch up now for 8 months, it will happen just unsure when. I been chipped already so I have done all I can. Is it me or can you always taste Doritos since being chipped, I was actually hoping for salt and vinegar
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby deep44 » Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:40 am

I'm happy to help you out. I've been learning at a distillery for 3 months now and will be happy to help.
deep44

equipment: I do not have any atm but am interested in learning the art.

Previous

Return to Beginners Questions