percentage

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

percentage

Postby charliez » Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:06 am

Hi I am wondering , I do the tomato paste wash and use the recipe for a 25 ltr wash lately I get about 90 % when it has finished it always was up around 95% also when I bring it back to 40% a few days later I check it and it has dropped down to 30% very strange I didn't think it would do that , is it because I have it sitting in the garage in the demijohn in the cold as I am in a cold area Ballarat Vic
Regards
Charlie
charliez

equipment: pure still reflux

Re: percentage

Postby The Stig » Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:54 am

The % drop off the still could be the packing, when was the last time it was pulled down and cleaned then repacked ?
The % drop after water down could be that your checking while hot straight off the still (will give high reading) then checking when really cold (will give a low reading)
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby howard » Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:01 pm

charliez wrote:Hi I am wondering , I do the tomato paste wash and use the recipe for a 25 ltr wash lately I get about 90 % when it has finished it always was up around 95% also when I bring it back to 40% a few days later I check it and it has dropped down to 30% very strange I didn't think it would do that , is it because I have it sitting in the garage in the demijohn in the cold as I am in a cold area Ballarat Vic
Regards
Charlie

have you allowed for temp in the ABV?
30% abv at 0c is about 39% abv
howard

equipment: 35l brewzilla
2" modular CM
gin caddy
changeover element switch and voltage controller on brewzillas 1900w element.
5L glass boiler/glass leibig

Postby charliez » Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:51 pm

Hi Stig
I replaced the packing few months back maybe I didn't pack it right and the old mesh was clean as a whistle also I think i only put 3 back in not the four that is my problem I quess
Regards
Charlie
charliez

equipment: pure still reflux

Postby The Stig » Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:02 pm

That’ll be it .
You took 4 “rolls” out but only put 3 back in , less surface area = less refluxing
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Return to Beginners Questions