I finally got one

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

I finally got one

Postby NFI » Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:49 pm

Finally got around to deciding on and buying a still from FSD. A big thank-you to Andrew :handgestures-thumbupleft: for all his help and assistance, looking forward to doing my first sacrificial run but I am only just loading up the fermenters today (or maybe tomorrow now). I had the unit outside to check all the plumbing and the elements (I need to reseal some of the plumbing fittings) but otherwise all went well so thought I'd take a quick snap and show her off a bit and so here it is.

IMG_20210924_150651.jpg

I am sure I will be on here with a lot of questions as the months roll by. I would not have gotten even this far without this forum so thanks to all.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NFI
Site Donor

equipment: FSD Mac4 SSG, 500mm copper-packed Section
50L Milkcan twin element boiler

Re: I finally got one

Postby Wellsy » Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:03 pm

Congrats mate, you will never look back.

I am sure you will have a few OMG what have I done moment but nothing is irrefixable

Enjoy the journey, give yourself half a dozen runs to feel comfortable but you will definitely get there.
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby The Stig » Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:10 pm

Looking good :handgestures-thumbupleft:
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby BigRig » Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:41 pm

Nice. Good bit of kit you got there.
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby dans.brew » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:35 pm

And so very shiny! :happy-partydance:
Good stuff!
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby NFI » Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:10 am

Thanks all.
Just pitched the yeast for my sacrificial wash, now the hard part, keeping in it from going too much higher than 30. Even for Qld this is crazy weather.
Yes it is shiny - love it!! :music-deathmetal:
NFI
Site Donor

Postby bluc » Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:56 am

Very nice :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Dude » Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:12 am

Very nice, congrats. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Last edited by Dude on Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dude

equipment: Turbo 500. 50L pot still with 2 x 2400W heaters, shotgun condenser, reflux condenser. Building a cooling system.

Postby tacman1970 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:50 pm

Looks great! Many happy years ahead for you :-D :-D
tacman1970
Site Donor

equipment: modular 2" CCVM, on a 50l keg boiler
plus an airstill

Postby pistolknight79 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:52 pm

tacman1970 wrote:Looks great! Many happy years ahead for you :-D :-D

and some hard days at work when ya get a little excited after trying a batch :)) :))
pistolknight79

equipment: 6" copper tee 4 plate

Postby NFI » Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:57 am

Yes I am really looking forward to my first drinkable batch and many more after that.

pistolknight79 wrote:

and some hard days at work when ya get a little excited after trying a batch :)) :))

Work??? :whistle:

Just got my first TPW fermenting away. Already made the rookie mistake of forgetting to take an OG reading (not that it really matters for a sacrificial run) which is made worse because I used to brew beer and should have known better, but that was a good 13 - 14 years ago before moving to QLD.
Anyway what is the preferred method of taking gravity readings toward the end of the ferment, Open the lid and just chuck the hydrometer in the wash, pull out the airlock and crack the tap and take a sample or use a thief (of some description) through the bung hole for the aquarium heater? All three of those methods use to concern me when doing beer for risk of infection. I see you can buy a little float-able Bluetooth pill that just lets you know gravity and temp in real time via mobile phone app - could be promising and only $50 - any thoughts.
NFI
Site Donor

Postby The Stig » Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:22 pm

Please don’t expect much from a TPW over 4 plates .
You’ll end up with tomato tasting whiskey :laughing-rolling: not pleasant
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby BigRig » Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:46 pm

NFI wrote:Yes I am really looking forward to my first drinkable batch and many more after that.

pistolknight79 wrote:

Work??? :whistle:

Just got my first TPW fermenting away. Already made the rookie mistake of forgetting to take an OG reading (not that it really matters for a sacrificial run) which is made worse because I used to brew beer and should have known better, but that was a good 13 - 14 years ago before moving to QLD.
Anyway what is the preferred method of taking gravity readings toward the end of the ferment, Open the lid and just chuck the hydrometer in the wash, pull out the airlock and crack the tap and take a sample or use a thief (of some description) through the bung hole for the aquarium heater? All three of those methods use to concern me when doing beer for risk of infection. I see you can buy a little float-able Bluetooth pill that just lets you know gravity and temp in real time via mobile phone app - could be promising and only $50 - any thoughts.

When the air lock has stopped bubbling for a couple days i open the lid and take a sample with a teaspoon, if there is no sweetness i run it.

If there is still sweetness i put lid back on and let it go for longer.

I follow tried and true recipes and dont deviate so i never take any readings whatsoever.

Double dipping with the teaspoon is ok too :music-deathmetal: :laughing-rolling:
Last edited by BigRig on Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby NFI » Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:15 pm

Thanks BigRig, I sterilized my hydrometer and holding the very tip of it lowered it into the wash. At no time did it seem like it was willing to float (not even a little) so I did not let go for fear of it ending up at the bottom - I'll get there eventually. I will give the taste test ago but it has only been bubbling for 5 days but has slowed right down(never when I am around), reading other posts everyone says but what are the readings so I thought I should try - was planning to let it settle another week anyway.

The Stig wrote:Please don’t expect much from a TPW over 4 plates .

Hi Stig, I have only brewed this up to do a sacrificial cleaning run but are you telling me that TPW is no good on a 4 plate bubbler or that it really needs a packed section to clean it up. Only learning, what would you recommend on just 4 plates as a starter (I am more a whiskey person than rum but I intend to try it all) but no tomato flavored whiskey dose not sound too good.
NFI
Site Donor

Postby BigRig » Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:08 pm

NFI wrote:Thanks BigRig, I sterilized my hydrometer and holding the very tip of it lowered it into the wash. At no time did it seem like it was willing to float (not even a little) so I did not let go for fear of it ending up at the bottom - I'll get there eventually. I will give the taste test ago but it has only been bubbling for 5 days but has slowed right down(never when I am around), reading other posts everyone says but what are the readings so I thought I should try - was planning to let it settle another week anyway.

The Stig wrote:Please don’t expect much from a TPW over 4 plates .

Hi Stig, I have only brewed this up to do a sacrificial cleaning run but are you telling me that TPW is no good on a 4 plate bubbler or that it really needs a packed section to clean it up. Only learning, what would you recommend on just 4 plates as a starter (I am more a whiskey person than rum but I intend to try it all) but no tomato flavored whiskey dose not sound too good.

When the wash is done the hydrometer will sit very low, a lot lower than any of your beers will but it wont sink. Chuck it in and see what its at. It should go below 1.000.

The tpw through a bubbler will have a slight sweetness to it, especially if you compare to some of the grain / weetbix washes but it aint that bad. (Try a kale wash through a pot still or any turdbo wash) :puke-huge:.

I probably wouldnt spruik it as being vodka (even vodka has a taste to it), I use it for gin and my w@nker brother in law loves it and cannot taste any tomato. He thinks i am pulling his leg when i tell him it has tomato paste in it. Also use it for limoncello and nonno and his compares go silly for it.
Last edited by BigRig on Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.
BigRig

Postby NFI » Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:56 am

I managed to take a reading today and it was 0.880, it taste very alcoholic and I could not taste any sweetness so I think I'm right to go. Even though this is just for a cleaning run, am I still better off raking it off into another fermenter and allowing it to settle for a day or two before putting it through the still. I am still trying to clean up the shed to make room for the still so time is on my side.
NFI
Site Donor

Postby Royalwulf » Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:49 pm

You are about a week behind me, so no expert, I did my sacrificial run Sunday week ago with TPW.
I ran mine before it had cleared completely and i had a bit of burning at the bottom of the boiler so i think wait longer.
Royalwulf

equipment: copperhead pot still

Postby NFI » Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:55 pm

Royalwulf wrote:You are about a week behind me, so no expert, I did my sacrificial run Sunday week ago with TPW.
I ran mine before it had cleared completely and i had a bit of burning at the bottom of the boiler so i think wait longer.
:handgestures-thumbupleft:
NFI
Site Donor

Return to Beginners Questions