Can you open boiler and drain wash off without letting it co

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Can you open boiler and drain wash off without letting it co

Postby Ashley12 » Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:00 pm

I have an airstill and a 20l pot still with a 38 inch Liebig 15mm over 28mm with a 2kw element.

My main issue after running a batch is the cool down time. This is especially an issue with the airstill. If I let it cool down between runs this takes literally 4 to 5 hours.

Is it safe to open the boiler lid, pour the steaming junk left in the boiler after a run down the drain then straight away refill the boiler and start another run?

My main concern is alcohol vapours. Could these vapours pose a health risk if I open the boiler and empty it straight after a run finishes?

I did try this with the airstill though I done it outside for maximum ventilation.
Ashley12

equipment: Pot still

Re: Can you open boiler and drain wash off without letting i

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:54 pm

After a run just leave it for 1/2 an hour so the column can cool down then very carefully take the lid off and make sure you are wearing suitable gloves to prevent any chance of getting burnt :handgestures-thumbupleft: and you could have a tub of cold water handy to pour in to drop the temp of the liquid left in the boiler then pour the contents into a metal bucket so it can cool down to room temp.

By pouring very hot liquid straight down down the drain of a sink could damage the plastic drain pipe and one doesn't want that to happen.

Then again the motto of this craft is Just hurry up and wait

So have a good think about this as the off chance of a burn can be there and remember safety first with everything to do with this craft.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Ashley12 » Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:39 pm

RuddyCrazy wrote:After a run just leave it for 1/2 an hour so the column can cool down then very carefully take the lid off and make sure you are wearing suitable gloves to prevent any chance of getting burnt :handgestures-thumbupleft: and you could have a tub of cold water handy to pour in to drop the temp of the liquid left in the boiler then pour the contents into a metal bucket so it can cool down to room temp.

By pouring very hot liquid straight down down the drain of a sink could damage the plastic drain pipe and one doesn't want that to happen.

Then again the motto of this craft is Just hurry up and wait

So have a good think about this as the off chance of a burn can be there and remember safety first with everything to do with this craft.

Cheers Bryan

Thanks Brian that's very informative.

Do you know anything about my other question though? Do the noxious vapours pose any health risk when opening the boiler straight after a run?

Don't really want to get drunk or dizzy from the ethanol vapours.

Thanks
Ashley12

Postby RC Al » Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:55 pm

Dont stress the fumes unless your on a zero breath limt and want to jump in the car straight away...

I would be more worried about steam burns.

Once you get the feel for things and gain some confidence, you will be ripping into it as soon as you power down, i juggle all mine with a thick towel, used to handling hot stuff though.

The plastic pipe ssue Bryan mentioned is a very real thing (hard to explain away if your renting lols), Possibly a secondary container to hold the dunder while it cools will help
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby Ashley12 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:15 am

RC Al wrote:Dont stress the fumes unless your on a zero breath limt and want to jump in the car straight away...

I would be more worried about steam burns.

Once you get the feel for things and gain some confidence, you will be ripping into it as soon as you power down, i juggle all mine with a thick towel, used to handling hot stuff though.

The plastic pipe ssue Bryan mentioned is a very real thing (hard to explain away if your renting lols), Possibly a secondary container to hold the dunder while it cools will help

I pour the scrap washes straight down a storm drain, So luckily I don't have to worry about melting plastic pipe.

Regarding the vapour thing that's great news thanks! Does that literally mean I can run a batch, empty it straight away (inhale any of the fumes in the process) and still be legally below the limit to drive?

Just good to know whether I can drive or not.

Ran the little air still and emptied each run straight after it finished. Managed to make 6 litres of neutral today compared to the usual 2 litres a day waiting for cool downs.

I don't really drink a lot so that 6 litres will probably last ages!
Ashley12

Postby RC Al » Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:53 am

I dont recommend breathing in the vapour at all.. your lungs most likely are not built to cope with that..

Im not going to tell you if your good to drive... only your judgement and a breathalyzer can help you there.. I would be very surprised if you blew over, but then you could be a 40kg "lightweight" who gets inebriated off 2 shots.. (no offence intended, I wish lols)

Your into the overthinking end of your issue :handgestures-thumbupleft:
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby bluc » Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:05 pm

A quality breathslyser is a good investment in this hobby :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby nudder12 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:18 am

Might be a naive answer, but once the batch is run there would be veryyy little alcohol left in the wash wouldn't there? So vapours would be inconsequential. :think:
nudder12

equipment: Still Spirits T500 reflux still

Postby bluc » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:19 am

Prob not heck lot left but no amount of vapour is good/safe. I drain mine through long pipe so well away from ignition point. I plan on putting a wort chiller on it will stop prob all together..
Last edited by bluc on Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Return to Beginners Questions