Discoloration of Distillate

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Discoloration of Distillate

Postby B-Man » Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:42 pm

So made 2 batches of TFFV,

only thing I did differently to the other batches I have made was add eggshells to try and keep the PH from crashing to see if I could ferment out further than the .992-.995 I normally get.
It didn't.
and when I run them the fores and first few bottles have a slight green tinge to it.
cleaned the still, still had the green tinge.
ran a different wash and no green tinge.
I'm wondering if its the ph reacting with the copper when its turning from a vapour to liquid in the PC?
the wash is clear in the bubbler column and the reflux from the scrubbers above is clear. but when it comes out of the still its got a green tinge. It lasts for about the first 2L collected from a 46L wash.
B-Man

equipment: keg 4" Bubbler

Re: Discoloration of Distillate

Postby hgwells » Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:27 pm

Did the still puke?
hgwells
Site Donor

equipment: FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
60L Milkcan Boiler
100L 5 Star Boiler
3x 2400 Elements
1x 3600 Element
Turbo-500

Postby Garfield » Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:39 pm

When I used to use a reflux still I would get a blue green tinge to the foreshot but it went away after the first cut. Never worked out what it was but it didn't matter. My pot still is fine.

You could keep that 2L for redistilling later. Also try a little less wash in your still in case it's bubbling up the column
Garfield

equipment: Reflux still

Postby B-Man » Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:39 pm

no puke.
its a glass bubbler so can see if anything starting.
and liquid is clear the whole way from the first bubble plate and the reflux coming down but when it comes out the PC its got a green tinge for the first amount.
B-Man

equipment: keg 4" Bubbler

Postby slops5511 » Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:12 pm

I am still new to the hobby but the green tinge coule be the pertina coming off the copper. Some guy talks about it here on youtube sorry if this is incorrect info. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4wwbKKfbXM
slops5511

equipment: kegland reflux and digiboil

Postby Jedstar » Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:13 am

interesting because I had exactly the same thing happen to me when I ran my last Rum wash in my 4" visualizer, only for the fore shots where a light green and then it cleared up. I had added extra heads and tails to boost the yield and put it down to higher percentage of alcohol in the initial reflux causing a cleaning action on the plates, just a guess but would love to hear the absolute definitive answer. Maybe the still is saying "hey clean my plates!" :))
Jedstar

equipment: FSD 4" Visualizer Mk2 with 250mm Packed Section , FSD 50L Milk Can with 2 x 2400W Elements + FSD Controller . FSD 4” Modular Pot that has grown up.

Return to Beginners Questions