Can I leave my still unattended

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Can I leave my still unattended

Postby Wellsy » Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:03 pm

Well once again I was reminded today of how quickly things can go wrong if you are not with your baby.
Sitting browsing the forum while waiting for the bubbler to get into reflux properly. Next thing drip drip of the the cooling water. As the return water heated up it decided to depart the coupling attaching it to the still. Not a major problem as I was there to turn everything up and replace the hose, if however I was “just making a coffee” it would have gotten ugly very quickly.
Probably best I don’t mention how I thought I had turned off the pump when I disconnected the hose and wondered why if was gushing out.
So 18 months after getting into this hobby my still likes to remind me not to assume everything will be ok and that it likes company :). Lucky she is so pretty and I enjoy every minute I get to spend with her :)
Seriously guys you need to stay with the still all the time given the temps and pressure everything works at. Don’t underestimate how quickly things can go wrong if you are not paying attention
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Re: Can I leave my still unattended

Postby The Stig » Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:09 pm

Very well said :handgestures-thumbupleft:
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby jman69 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:25 pm

You are so right Wellsy. Can't be too carefull in this game.
jman69

equipment: reflux

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:47 pm

Well this is a good thread to mention THAT one where it Happened :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:

So a few years ago I got my still the highest it will go which is close to the roof and of course the collection was at head height, had the laptop going and forgot about the collection jar then saw a huge flame as the collection spilled over and the 90% was lighted by the gas fire.

I turned off the gas and moved the bottle and found there was no way to stop the fire and no there combustibles were around just left it to burn out. Well 2 milk crates were gone, gas line to my BD burner but the fire was contained and the water lines on the still were still OK.

So this is an episode where lighting up in a huge flame what you just made is not the thing to do but as no wood was around the fire was contained to burn out.

Now just think if you made this new bar with all the bell's and whistles then forgot about the still just how your dream can up up in flames.

So stay sober and take notes if you need to and forget the internet as that can be the distraction that brings on the events.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby howard » Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:56 pm

ha, it doesn't take much.
last year i had my still going so i wheeled the pedestal drill over, right next to the still, so i could do a bit of work at the same time.
i got distracted by the drilling (i get distracted easily :doh: ), the next thing i know there is product going past my boots from an overflowing collection jar.
luckily i have concealed elements and nothing sparked up.
i always have a hose nearby and a fire extinguisher is in position.
howard

equipment: 35l brewzilla
2" modular CM
gin caddy
changeover element switch and voltage controller on brewzillas 1900w element.
5L glass boiler/glass leibig

Postby bluc » Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:56 pm

All I can say is FUCK NO!!!!!!
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Amberale » Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:27 pm

You CAN goose Wonder Woman as she walks past but I wouldn’t be recommending it.
Amberale

equipment: 5* Neutraliser.

Postby Wellsy » Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:25 pm

Just thought I would raise this again as I was on the keg land Facebook for beer brewing and some clown said the temp controller could be used to turn off the still and basically be left unattended.

Stuff a duck how can these guys have lived so bloody long with so many poor decisions in their life
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby Yonder » Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:03 pm

So, on my last run all was going along fine. I’m sitting 5 feet away typing a note whilst everything comes up to temp when I hear a metallic bang. As I looked up 2 more! :scared-eek:
The heating element died just as it was reaching temp. No heat and it had started cooling. Drained the thumper just that fast and started to implode the boiler, which was now distinctly square. :o Opened the coupler to break the vaccuum faster than I thought possible. Used compressor at 20 psi and popped the boiler back into shape (sort of) and ordered out a new element. :clap:
NO. Don’t leave your equipment when the power’s on! :naughty:
Yonder

equipment: 10 gal copper pot w/doubler and a lot of enthusiasm

Postby milleradam948 » Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:31 pm

No way, you shouldn't do that!
milleradam948

equipment: Grainfather Conical Fermenter Pro edition Stainles
Capper Super Auto Bench Model
Grainfather SF70 Conical Fermenter
Easy carboy Syphon & 1m of 8mm hose

Return to Beginners Questions