Semi Beginner with a few questions

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Semi Beginner with a few questions

Postby schoolofmonkey » Thu May 19, 2022 5:41 pm

Hey all.

I'm kind of new to all this, started dabbling with a air still (I know), just wasn't happy with what was coming out of it, even with the extra effort refining (at the moment) sugar washes, moved up to the T500 Copper Reflux kit, I know the bad rap it gets, but everyone has been happy with what's been coming out so far, making cuts, etc etc
I read the Running a T500, the Proper Way thread, pretty much have been doing all that besides changing the output plastic pipe to copper, which I did today (thank you Bunnings :)) ), I am running the water pump/reservoir because I have a house full of kids who run the water constantly for some reason.
I do have a power controller, but I haven't used it yet.
Also did the first cleanout of the reflux, ran the stainless steal saddles through the dishwasher, plus let the copper saddles sit in warm a water/citric acid bath overnight, they always look clean in the liquid, but then go dull after they dry off, I already had a spare packet as I was using them in the air still as boil enhancers.

So currently all I've done are sugar washes, I have 2x25L fermenters, pretty much using the Still Spirits kits, got to say you well and truly can taste the difference between the Still Spirits Pure Yeast Kit and the Turbo kit, turbo is just off I guess is the best way to put it.
I'm wanting to move up to proper mashes or grains eventually, still getting the feel for fermentation etc.

There's a few questions, which I'm having issues finding answers to:

Storage of neutral spirits long term, I have a couple of 4L @ 3L jars from the cheap shop, they are ok, but occasionally they'll leak or build up condensation, the lids are really dodgy screw on one, I have a good set of mason jars, but nothing over 1L, they were really good for my fresh mango vodka soak, also have a 4L flip top jar, it has a food grade silicon seal, found that at Woolies.
Plus I did get a 2 sets of these 750Ml bottles:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/29488051840 ... 2749.l2649

Now I'm not sure what would be the best at this stage to do a (I feel like ducking saying this) neutral with flavor essence age, usually they say a week, but I found the longer the better.

Thanks all
schoolofmonkey

equipment: Still Spirits T500 Still

Re: Semi Beginner with a few questions

Postby BigRig » Thu May 19, 2022 8:53 pm

Hey mate welcome to the forum, the hobby and the rabbit hole. Looks like you are progressing nicely.

Not quite sure what your questions are though ?

Happy to help if i can
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby schoolofmonkey » Thu May 19, 2022 9:01 pm

BigRig wrote:Hey mate welcome to the forum, the hobby and the rabbit hole. Looks like you are progressing nicely.

Not quite sure what your questions are though ?

Happy to help if i can

More so about best bottles or jars to use, been through a few, some leak around the lids.
Are the food grade silicon ones ok to use for longer term neutral storage, not that it's been lasting a long time thanks to a few mates wanting some.

What's the best for say aging a neutral that has had flavoring essence added, just little things like that, I'm just a little lost with what's best for each.
I noticed that high abv neutrals will leak out of normal glass jar lids if you shake it.
schoolofmonkey

Postby howard » Thu May 19, 2022 10:05 pm

apart from barrels and ex-spirit bottles.............
i use the the cheap 2l & 3l flip top jars from k-mart.
i wrap the silicone seal in 2 layers of ptfe tape.
food grade silicone is maybe not high abv grade.

as for sugar washes, the FFV doesn't get any easier(or cheaper) and is virtually bulletproof.
howard

equipment: 35l brewzilla
2" modular CM
gin caddy
changeover element switch and voltage controller on brewzillas 1900w element.
5L glass boiler/glass leibig

Postby B-Man » Thu May 19, 2022 10:25 pm

schoolofmonkey wrote:More so about best bottles or jars to use, been through a few, some leak around the lids.
Are the food grade silicon ones ok to use for longer term neutral storage, not that it's been lasting a long time thanks to a few mates wanting some.

What's the best for say aging a neutral that has had flavouring essence added, just little things like that, I'm just a little lost with what's best for each.
I noticed that high abv neutrals will leak out of normal glass jar lids if you shake it.

I use Wine bottles or spirit bottles. the lids are made for higher abv and easy to come by haven't had an issue with any.
I find no less than 6 months once mixed is best for aging a neutral with essence.

try a TFFV, TPW or Kale for neutrals . I have only done TFFV. it works. taste good straight off the still have no reason to try anything else yet.

There's nothing wrong with a T500 its a good beginner still just needs a little tweaking, it does make decent spirit, the problem is more the turbo yeast. but eventually you will want to upgrade. Its amazing how much a different still can affect the taste from the same wash.

everything is trial and error.
see what works for you.
B-Man

equipment: keg 4" Bubbler

Postby RC Al » Fri May 20, 2022 12:09 am

Depending on where you are, 5l swing top demijohns can be had for $12 to $15, dearer than kmart, but better in my book.

1l spirit bottles seem to be a commodity on market place.

If you step things up later, kegs are hard to beat $ per litre and take much more to break.
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby Carol » Fri May 20, 2022 8:55 am

Hi School of Monkey

I use spirit bottles for storage. Family members kindly save them for me for reuse ( and sometimes a refill). If I get stuck I reuse wine bottles.

I have been using TPW for neutral but have also used TFFV. Both very easy with good results.

Cheers
Carol
Carol
Mentor

equipment: Still Spirits Air Still
FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)
FSD 2" pot still ( aka Natasha)

Postby schoolofmonkey » Fri May 20, 2022 10:18 am

howard wrote:apart from barrels and ex-spirit bottles.............
i use the the cheap 2l & 3l flip top jars from k-mart.
i wrap the silicone seal in 2 layers of ptfe tape.
food grade silicone is maybe not high abv grade.

as for sugar washes, the FFV doesn't get any easier(or cheaper) and is virtually bulletproof.

Thanks for that.
Are you talking about this tape?
https://www.bunnings.com.au/enduraseal- ... e_p4920482

RC Al wrote:Depending on where you are, 5l swing top demijohns can be had for $12 to $15, dearer than kmart, but better in my book.

1l spirit bottles seem to be a commodity on market place.

If you step things up later, kegs are hard to beat $ per litre and take much more to break.

I've seen some 5L Demijohns online $12.95 each or 6 for $69.95 pp.
https://beerco.com.au/products/5-litre- ... 9796896814

Working with wide mouth jars sucks, particularly pouring, and those Pyrex glass measuring cup, unless you pour super slowly it just goes everywhere, been trying to find ones with a lip that folds in, remember mum having one many years ago.

I've tried to avoid plastics completely, looking at getting one of those still Spirits stainless carbon filter, because I have used the includes plastic one and it's absorbing the smell, we all know plastics aren't good for higher abv, I'm generally knocking it down to 55% before filtering, I found it gives you more wiggle room when creating flavored spirits.

I'm completely staying away from Turbo Classic 8 yeast, even double distilling can't fix it, still got 2 kits here, but I'm tempted to bin them since using the Turbo Pure, which I managed to get the cleanest smelling and tasting neutral I've made so far, even the wife tasted the difference.

I've seen the TFFV, I got a bit lost on what's the best yeast to use with it, that the novice side of what I know, pretty much been using kits so far.
My local shop is Ibrew, so I pretty much get everything from there.
https://www.ibrew.com.au/
schoolofmonkey

Postby schoolofmonkey » Fri May 20, 2022 10:31 am

Oh, also would it be better to grab one of these for stripping runs instead of messing with the T500 Reflux packing all the time?

https://www.ibrew.com.au/products/alcoe ... -condenser
https://www.ibrew.com.au/products/still ... 4be2&_ss=r

I figured I could use the stainless boiler lid that the reflux is mounted on.
schoolofmonkey

Postby Professor Green » Fri May 20, 2022 11:20 am

Welcome schoolofmonkey

I can recommend 5l demijons sealed with silicon bungs for longer term storage of spirits.

WBAB make excellent neutral too.

From memory there are some good threads on ageing cordial/essence flavoured spirits floating around the forums.

For stripping and flavoured runs, have a look at the 5 Star 2" pot still. It will fit on your T500 boiler with an adaptor and it is hands-down the best pot still in it's class.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby The Stig » Fri May 20, 2022 12:56 pm

Stop going to I brew for ingredients and get everything from coles or Woolies
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby schoolofmonkey » Fri May 20, 2022 1:01 pm

The Stig wrote:Stop going to I brew for ingredients and get everything from coles or Woolies

That's why I asked for help, I don't buy sugar or anything from there, just equipment or those Still Spirits yeast kits.
Yeast is what I'm lost at, there isn't much of a selection at either Coles or Woolies.
What am I looking for?
schoolofmonkey

Postby BigRig » Fri May 20, 2022 1:06 pm

schoolofmonkey wrote:
The Stig wrote:Stop going to I brew for ingredients and get everything from coles or Woolies

That's why I asked for help, I don't buy sugar or anything from there, just equipment or those Still Spirits yeast kits.
Yeast is what I'm lost at, there isn't much of a selection at either Coles or Woolies.
What am I looking for?

https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/prod ... ed-instant

In the baking aisle and can be found at Coles too
Last edited by BigRig on Fri May 20, 2022 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby schoolofmonkey » Fri May 20, 2022 1:40 pm

BigRig wrote:
schoolofmonkey wrote:

What am I looking for?

Thanks for that, haven't seen it before, but I'll give it better look and try grab some... :handgestures-thumbupleft:
schoolofmonkey

Postby schoolofmonkey » Fri May 20, 2022 1:47 pm

BigRig wrote:
schoolofmonkey wrote:

What am I looking for?

Is this ok for the FFV?
https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/prod ... tural-bran

I've got everything else, Multivitamin, Epsom salts and Citric acid, I don't have di-ammonium phosphate, but I'm guessing I can get that at any brewery shop.
schoolofmonkey

Postby Carol » Fri May 20, 2022 2:06 pm

I used the WW bran for my FFV. it was fine.
The bakers yeast is good and very inexpensive.

I have a Five Star 2" boka and pot if you are interested in that further down the track.

Cheers
Carol
Carol
Mentor

FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)

Postby schoolofmonkey » Fri May 20, 2022 2:15 pm

Carol wrote:I used the WW bran for my FFV. it was fine.
The bakers yeast is good and very inexpensive.

I have a Five Star 2" boka and pot if you are interested in that further down the track.

Cheers
Carol

Now I wish I knew about 5 Star to start with, they have some good gear there.
Found the Turbo Lid Adapter, so at least I can use my current boiler with what they have.
https://5stardistilling.com/product/tur ... d-adapter/

Still learning, but will defiantly looking into grabbing some upgrades in the future
schoolofmonkey

Postby Carol » Fri May 20, 2022 4:57 pm

This is the thread on my FSD 2" boka and pot.
Modular so cost effective. Produces high quality neutral. Slow compared to bigger setups but suits me well.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=12638

Wellsy started with a 4 " FSD pot before upgrading. Look for his threads for more information.

Cheers
Carol
Carol
Mentor

FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)

Postby howard » Fri May 20, 2022 5:33 pm

check out DAP on ebay, compare the meerkat.
wheat bran from woolies
lowans yeast from any supermarket.
howard

equipment: 35l brewzilla
2" modular CM
gin caddy
changeover element switch and voltage controller on brewzillas 1900w element.
5L glass boiler/glass leibig

Postby Carol » Fri May 20, 2022 5:42 pm

I agree with howard. DAP on ebay - i got some very cheaply.
Carol
Mentor

FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)

Next

Return to Beginners Questions