Fores lower abv than heads

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Fores lower abv than heads

Postby B-Man » Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:40 am

Running my packed 4" bubbler.
Hold on full reflux for 5 or so minutes and run fores out slowly.
Then run faster for my heads yet the heads have a higher abv???

Doesn't matter what wash I have run it all does the same.
Any ideas?
B-Man

equipment: keg 4" Bubbler

Re: Fores lower abv than heads

Postby Wellsy » Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:35 am

I have only started using my bubbler to take spirit straight from wash mate, I always used to do the strip runs, taking big fores cuts, and then spirit through the bubbler. I have found that I struggle to hold in full reflux and a very small amount always comes off, just drips nothing of volume. I have checked my cooling pump ect. Always the same so now I am guess it is simply that the initial fores come off at much lower temps. Once the fores are taken everything settles down nicely.
One day I will do a low wines run to test my theory but until then I will live in happy ignorance lol
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby bluc » Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:36 am

Mine always drops from fores too tails. Bit baffled as to why fores would be lower abv then heads :wtf:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby chipboy » Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:21 pm

Because they not the same alcohols and your measuring device is tuned to Ethanol, not acetone etc. My last batch had a very strong hit of acetone and other things as it came up, and yes they do require careful use and tuning to operate as desired.
chipboy

equipment: 50 litre keg, insulated and 4 plates at 4 inch. Home made mash tun.

Postby Yonder » Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:43 pm

Fairly common while running my traditional pot still. Different fractionals. I almost always begin about 78 then move up to the low 80’s and hold while “the good stuff” runs, dropping rapidly in the tailes. :ugeek:
Yonder

equipment: 10 gal copper pot w/doubler and a lot of enthusiasm

Postby B-Man » Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:36 pm

Wellsy wrote: I have found that I struggle to hold in full reflux and a very small amount always comes off

I have no issues holding a full reflux and nothing coming out.

When I let it out slowly the first 330ml is always a lower abv than the next 330ml bottle.
mainly running wine and TFFV

bluc wrote:Mine always drops from fores too tails. Bit baffled as to why fores would be lower abv then heads

yes if im running it as a reflux it drops from heads to tails not by much though until I notice tails and pump them out but as noted the fores can be up to 5%abv (average is 3%) lower than the first heads bottle. (this is temp corrected)
If running like a pot still or pretty fast it drops each bottle.

Yonder wrote:Fairly common while running my traditional pot still. Different fractionals. I almost always begin about 78 then move up to the low 80’s

Running my other pot still my fores are higher than the heads jar.
B-Man

equipment: keg 4" Bubbler

Return to Beginners Questions