Alcotec Vodka Star

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Alcotec Vodka Star

Postby schoolofmonkey » Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:27 pm

Ok I was given a couple of packets of Alcotec Vodka Star, so I gave one a go.
Fermented down with no issues in 6 days, though it was lower than the 0.990, somewhere near 0.90, smells like a typical sugar wash, it was really cloudy, but I wasn't sure if you were meant to use one of the clearing agents like most packet yeast washes (Alcotec Turbo Klar, Turbo clear etc).
I tried searching everywhere for the answer to no avail, it doesn't mention needing it on the back of the packet and you don't use active carbon in the wash like the Alcotec 48 hour turbo, so I wasn't sure.

I racked it off with a auto syphon with a filter on it, left about 1cm on the bottom where you can clearly see the yeast, did a stripping run which had the standard sugar wash smell.
I'm 1L into the spirit run and I don't know what's wrong but man it tastes horrible, a real off flavor like nothing I've experienced before, I've had better cleaner results from a Still Spirits Turbo Pure wash compared to this, heck any of my previous turbo yeast washes tasted better, that's how bad it was.
Don't know if it was because I didn't use turbo clear :?

20220624_121401.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
schoolofmonkey

equipment: Still Spirits T500 Still

Re: Alcotec Vodka Star

Postby bluc » Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:36 pm

What was the recipe how many litres water how much sugar? What nutrient? :think:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby schoolofmonkey » Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:38 pm

bluc wrote:What was the recipe how many litres water how much sugar? What nutrient? :think:

Exactly as the instructions on the back of the packet, I posted a photo..
schoolofmonkey

Postby bluc » Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:44 pm

Usually 1kg sugar per 5l water max.yes you can go more but spirit will suffer. 6kg Is a bit above that may have streesed the yeast Are you doing cuts?
Any reason for not doing a tried and proven?
Last edited by bluc on Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluc
Site Donor

Postby schoolofmonkey » Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:53 pm

bluc wrote:Usually 1kg sugar per 5l water max.yes you can go more but spirit will suffer. 6kg Is a bit above that may have streesed the yeast Are you doing cuts?
Any reason for not doing a tried and proven?

Got it free, had a fermenter that wasn't being used, thought why not give it a go, seen some raving about it, little bit of sugar and time, no biggy.
I always do cuts, but after 1 litre (4x 250ml cuts) of the run and it's still tasting like it was off, I didn't hold much hope, it's done now got a little over 3 litres of 93% absolute crap tasting neutral which was a first for me..

I'm not wasting much time on it, will probably go in the solvent jar where most of the fores/heads go, mate is a mechanic, he loves the stuff. :))
Last edited by schoolofmonkey on Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
schoolofmonkey

Postby bluc » Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:00 pm

Yea i have mostly focused on rum whiskey not done whole lot of neutral. I have done some tpw was not that fussed with it. Made some nice gin and limoncello but not my thing.

You might want to check out yellow label angel yeast and a bag of stock feed wheat for neutral. Is more work after fermentation you need to get your hands dirty and squeeze the grain dry. But the the end result is much better then sugar wash. Something to think about.
Last edited by bluc on Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluc
Site Donor

Postby schoolofmonkey » Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:11 pm

bluc wrote:Yea i have mostly focused on rum whiskey not done whole lot of neutral. I have done some tpw was not that fussed with it. Made some nice gin and limoncello but not my thing.

You might want to check out yellow label angel yeast and a bag of stock feed wheat for neutral. Is more work after fermentation you need to get your hands dirty and squeeze the grain dry. But the the end result is much better then sugar wash. Something to think about.

I've started to play around with TFFV, which uses store bought wheat bran, bakers yeast and sugar, that turns out ok, you got to be pretty strict with the cuts, usually I've ended up with about 2-2.5l of 93%, it taste better than any of the straight sugar washes so far.

I'm slowly getting more and more equipment to do other things, only been doing it a little over 2 months, like most of us new to the game we start with sugar washes to get in the swing of things, got a good feel for the T500, I have the Condenser lid along with the pot still/copper dome, usually use the pot still/dome for stripping runs.
schoolofmonkey

Postby schoolofmonkey » Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:20 pm

bluc wrote:You might want to check out yellow label angel yeast and a bag of stock feed wheat for neutral. Is more work after fermentation you need to get your hands dirty and squeeze the grain dry. But the the end result is much better then sugar wash. Something to think about.

You're talking about this:
https://www.backyardstobarnyards.com.au/product/wheat/

https://www.brewmart.com.au/pd.jsp?i=7668

I have 4 30L Fermenters that I would use.
schoolofmonkey

Postby bluc » Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:40 pm

Yea thats the stuff I use 15kg grain in 50-60l water for a neutral you prob want a lower grain to water ratio for less flavour yes you also get less volume.
Maybe 10- 12kg wheat in 50l . To suit your fermenter maybe max 6kg top up to 26-28l not sure of your fermenter type do they have extra headroom above max fill line?

You will need a little headroom in 30l fermenter maybe 5l from totally full to allow foaming. It does form a decent cap.

I have found best results follow pitch amounts on packet stir twice a day for 3 weeks will get the best of the grain.
If you want to you can add sugar to spent grain and ferment again.
You will need to grind the grain also.i grind to semi fine flour..
I have had some issues with scorching. Get the solids out and let it settle. Run gentle.
What still you got?
bluc
Site Donor

Postby schoolofmonkey » Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:47 pm

bluc wrote:Yea thats the stuff I use 15kg grain in 50-60l water for a neutral you prob want a lower grain to water ratio for less flavour yes you also get less volume.
Maybe 10- 12kg wheat in 50l . To suit your fermenter maybe max 6kg top up to 26-28l not sure of your fermenter type do they have extra headroom above max fill line?

You will need a little headroom in 30l fermenter maybe 5l from totally full to allow foaming. It does form a decent cap.

I have found best results follow pitch amounts on packet stir twice a day for 3 weeks will get the best of the grain.
If you want to you can add sugar to spent grain and ferment again.
You will need to grind the grain also.i grind to semi fine flour..
I have had some issues with scorching. Get the solids out and let it settle. Run gentle.
What still you got?

It's the complete T500 setup with boiler, T500 Condenser along with the Pot still/copper dome addition.
I'll look at getting a drill powered grain grinder, I always wanted to try a grain whiskey one day.
schoolofmonkey

Postby bluc » Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:56 pm

:handgestures-thumbupleft:
Non malted grains make a decent whiskey also. Yes malted is better but imo unmalted makes a nice drink. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I used a 2roller malt mill for years, on all sorts grain cracked corn also. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

Postby schoolofmonkey » Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:04 pm

bluc wrote::handgestures-thumbupleft:
Non malted grains make a decent whiskey also. Yes malted is better but imo unmalted makes a nice drink. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I used a 2roller malt mill for years, on all sorts grain cracked corn also. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Something like this:
https://www.kegland.com.au/maltmuncher-grain-mill.html

I know the local brew shop will grind the grain for you, but you're paying premium prices for the grains.
schoolofmonkey

Postby The Stig » Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:24 pm

I stoped using this stuff when it was pulled from the shelves for containing urea
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby bluc » Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:25 pm

Yea thrashed one for years with 18v makita battery drill. Still works.
Yea feed grain is a lot cheaper for sure.. if i was to get malted grain shipped would be nearly as much per bag postage as the grain itsrlf..
Last edited by bluc on Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluc
Site Donor

Postby schoolofmonkey » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:03 pm

The Stig wrote:I stoped using this stuff when it was pulled from the shelves for containing urea

Really....ok well I'm glad it didn't turn out, it belongs as solvent for sure.

bluc wrote:Yea thrashed one for years with 18v makita battery drill. Still works.
Yea feed grain is a lot cheaper for sure.. if i was to get malted grain shipped would be nearly as much per bag postage as the grain itsrlf..

It's like $65 for 25kg of flaked wheat from the local shop, about a 10 minute drive.
https://www.ibrew.com.au/products/flake ... =205096672

They sell all the premium grains, plus grind it for you.
schoolofmonkey

Postby bluc » Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:25 am

$20 for a bag from a feed store :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

Postby schoolofmonkey » Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:53 pm

Looks like I had an infection.
Did a complete clean with bleach, started a new Vodak Star last night, added the sugar at 30c, let the temps drop to 25-26c, added the yeast, took all night at start, but it was going well this morning, temps were about 24c airlock bubbling, had a look inside, it looks WAY different to the first lot, this is clear with bubbles, the one that tasted bad was a milky colour, well it honestly looked like milk.

I also ran the Pure Distilling wash that finished, that was fine (for what it is), so I'd say I caught any infection prior to spreading.

Though it's time to get some better ingredients for those free fermenters :))
schoolofmonkey

Postby bluc » Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:11 pm

Sounds like lacto besides dropping ph(making it more acidic) it does no real harm.
You should search for dunder or muck pit photos. For rum making Just dont search while eating. Bacteria infection = acids, acids when boiled with ethanol = esters, esters= flavour. Maybe on a neutral esters are not ideal but a lacto does not effect flavour just adds acidity and keeps other bacteria at bay. And a properly built neutral still will strip flavour anyway.

"More expensive" grain wont stop infection. Only thing that stops that is boiling the wort after mashing chilling fast and pitching a healthy yeast colony straight away afterwards.
Last edited by bluc on Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bluc
Site Donor

Return to Beginners Questions