HBS sugar wash

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

HBS sugar wash

Postby Roddersvb » Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:36 pm

While I’m at it!
I’ve done a HBS sugar wash (turbo yeast inc) which I ran through the reflux head and then macerated some gin botanicals in the spirit then re-ran the gin through the pot head with the botanicals suspended under the pot column. It actually produced a decent gin! Now I know how that every noob brew is shit, but the ‘minister for good decisions’ and I are trained in sensory evaluation and we agreed that it was fairly compatible to a local artisan gin which is a commercial brew, have i jagged :happy-partydance: a brew? Is the local brew crap? Or am I kidding myself?
BTW I wlll be doing FFV or TPW from now on, just got a lowan yeast from local supermarket.
Roddersvb

equipment: T-500 boiler with both reflux and pot still condensers

Re: HBS sugar wash

Postby Jedstar » Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:40 am

Moving to the FFV and or TPW you can expect to be even more pleased with your results. :-D
Jedstar

equipment: FSD 4" Visualizer Mk2 with 250mm Packed Section , FSD 50L Milk Can with 2 x 2400W Elements + FSD Controller . FSD 4” Modular Pot that has grown up.

Postby hgwells » Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:37 am

Keep some of it in a 100ml bottle so that you can compare what you first did with what you produce in a year or two.
hgwells
Site Donor

equipment: FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
60L Milkcan Boiler
100L 5 Star Boiler
3x 2400 Elements
1x 3600 Element
Turbo-500

Postby howard » Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:19 pm

i've tasted a few local artisan gins recently, and me (and my mates) much prefer my FFV based gin.
TBF one of the artisan gins was ok-ish, the rest were either bland or had been infused with weird flavours to make them 'fashionable'
carry on with the good work, start with an Odin's easy gin and go from there.
howard

equipment: 35l brewzilla
2" modular CM
gin caddy
changeover element switch and voltage controller on brewzillas 1900w element.
5L glass boiler/glass leibig

Return to Beginners Questions