your concerns/query)

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

your concerns/query)

Postby marbaker » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:07 pm

just a quick question if anyone can help,what is the best wash to do,im doing a tomatoe paste wash at the moment, I use 5k of sugar 40 ml lemon 1tsp epsom salts 250g tom paste and 100g bakers yeast.I

I do all the cuts when i distill.or the still spirit pack :ie turbo yeast,black carbon and turbo clear and 6k of sugar.the reason why i ask is my local brew shop says the tomatoe paste wash produces a lot of nasty eliments ie methenol ect,is it a load of bull s**** because he's loseing out on not selling his products,and is tomatoe paste a good product for that reason.

Graham from my local hbs said he wanted a sample so the guy that supply's him can have it tested,he told me he went for a meeting with is supplier and 3 others guys from new zealand i think directors from still spirit,and when he mentioned TPW they where very surprised.it makes me think they know about it but want you to buy their product.and test mine and say there's a lot of nasties in it.i would love to here what you all think ?

THANKS MARBAKER
marbaker

Re: your concerns/query)

Postby Kimbo » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:17 pm

I'd give them the recipe and tell em to try it for themselves ;-)
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby Rumdrinker » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:20 pm

I think you have answered your own question......... :think:
Most of us have gone to our local HBS for honest advice & been given the bum steer :angry-banghead:
Rumdrinker

equipment: Electric & HP gas Keg boilers. 4" pot still for stripping & rum, Bubbler in the making.....

Postby Brendan » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:44 pm

1. Methanol...yeah i'd hate to create that with my wash :? ...(it's a by product of producing ethanol...)

2. Nasties...why do their products need turbo clear, finings, carbon filtering and TPW doesn't?...

3. I bet they wouldn't dare take a sample of their home brew shop product for testing :handgestures-thumbdown:
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby maheel » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:57 pm

if i told you a shit sandwich tasted good would you try it...

they are going to tell you all sorts of things but TPW has world wide support under it's different names
maheel

Postby kiwikeg » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:40 am

Brendan wrote:
3. I bet they wouldn't dare take a sample of their home brew shop product for testing :handgestures-thumbdown:

I will take that bet.....

The suppliers to the HBSs do test their products

:o :liar: When the DSIR in the mid 90s tested vodka produced using the Spirits Unlimited System- turbos, reflux still, carbon etc the Gas Chromagraph showed the homemade vodka to have less of the "nasties". than commercially produced store bought vodka.

This blew the "homemade alcohol will make you blind etc" lobby out of the water and was a major factor in the removal of excise on home distilled spirits in NZ. :dance:

Referance-

Spirits Unlimited A complete guide to home distilling
NZ Customs 1996 Home Distilling Legal and Tax Exempt Regulation 9
Peter J. Wheeler and R. Malcolm Willmott

Not promoting turbos or having a go at you :handgestures-thumbupleft:

TPW is Frikken AWESOME!!!!!
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Postby R-sole » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:15 am

Give em a sample of clean middle hearts. I would jump at the chance of free testing.

I bet when still spirits do their testing they are offering a sample of slow run clean middle, not a conglomerate of spirit run off as they advise people to do with nothing but a foreshot and tail cut ;-)
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby SBB » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:40 am

marbaker wrote:my local brew shop says the tomatoe paste wash produces a lot of nasty eliments ie methenol

From my understanding there should be very little if any Methanol produced in a tomato paste wash.
From what Ive read methanol is produced in large amounts only when fermenting Fruits or grains.
Washes based on mostly sugar should contain very little.
Yes tomatos are a fruit...but in this case we are using them as a nutrient for the yeast not as the fermentation material.......I doubt you have anything to worry about.
A bit about Methanol below.
http://www.artisan-distiller.net/phpBB3 ... t=methanol
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Brendan » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:03 am

kiwikeg wrote:I will take that bet.....

The suppliers to the HBSs do test their products

Withdrawn... :clap: :D

edit: stupid iPhone made font large
Last edited by Brendan on Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby Frank » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:10 pm

Hey Mabaker
Awhile ago, I emailed Stillspirits as I was wanting to find out about copper options for an Airstill vapour path. Anyway....thats a story in itself. :whistle:
BUT during said correspondence I enquired about variations to the wash for the purposes of a cleaner tasting/smelling distillate (given the equipment instruction manual states to use turbos, carbon, clearing agents, filtration etc etc) and was told that I SHOULD NOT attempt to use homemade washes (TPW and DWWG were the examples I gave) in the airstill, the reasons given being vague connections to 'nasties' and inefficient output.
So...I emailed that I was aware of the comparatively lower ABV% and accepting of same but could they please clarify what was meant about potential undesrieable elements in the distillate (and, even, how I may avoid same using their equipment and taking cuts etc).

To date...No further response :roll: and they have had weeks. :handgestures-thumbdown:
I aint holding my breath either but it all kind of ties in with your experiences IMO.
Frank

Postby BackyardBrewer » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:46 am

The only - and I mean ONLY benefits of that turbo yeast are:

1. speed
  2. ABV

The first two runs I did were turbos and yes, you got more 95% alc out of a 25L batch that I do now out of my TPW. Perhaps as much as 500mls to litre more than a TPW.

BUT: the likker from the turbos was noticeably 'sharper' coming out of the reflux still. It had a more chemical smell and a far harsher taste.

The turbo produced alc which has been ageing in some HBS essences (before I knew better!) has taken on this really 'bitey' kind of 'burn' when you taste it several months on...

What's that about? The industry say you need turbo yeast, their clearing agent and their filters, then you have to buy their essences AND you have to wait for a few weeks after you mix the essences in to get the most flavour and then you have to drink it really quickly after it gets tasty before it goes all burny/bitey?

:doh: HUH? :doh:

I blamed this on the essences initially but with a comparison it is certainly the actual booze not the essences.

On the other hand: The TPW likker I've done was smaller in output but is SILKY SMOOTH several months down the track. It doesn't have that chemical twang to it that the first turbos I did. Anyone know what I mean? That harsh burn is something only the booze I made with turbos has.
I would never go back to a turbo yeast for the sake of being done in 3 days and having 20% abv. I'll stick to my TPW taking 2 weeks and giving me ~12% and a smoother better tasting output that needs no filtering any day.

(PS: I've given up on all the flavourings now too and using real ingredients to flavour the neutral now anyway)
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby marbaker » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:23 pm

i would like to thank everyone for there replies,im looking forward to popping into my local hbs with the tpw instructions and tell them try it for them selfs, instead of a sample of my spirit.thanks again marbaker
marbaker

Postby kiwikeg » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:00 pm

good reading on that link thanks SBB
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Postby NotBenStiller » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:05 pm

Frank wrote:To date...No further response :roll: and they have had weeks. :handgestures-thumbdown:
I aint holding my breath either but it all kind of ties in with your experiences IMO.

I've had a similar 'no further response' from Still Spirits. When i bought my T500 the vapour path was blocked with silicon sealant. Got one reply from them saying "this is a big concern for us" then no further response after that.

So, it all ties together - seems to me they are only interested in making easy money off nub stillers.
Not giving them one further cent of my money.
NotBenStiller

equipment: 3" DR bok....

Return to Beginners Questions