Very Slow wash

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Very Slow wash

Postby shadow74 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:10 am

Hey guys chasing a little advice i put down 2 tpw washes 26 ltr , 200 g of paste 6 kg sugar as and 1 small sachet each of ec1118 yeast half teaspoon of Dap and the same with Epsom salts , and 1 vit B tablet , the starting sg was a little high at 1080.,, problem is i was under the impression that the yeast had a high temperature tolerance and let it get up to 34 degrees , both batches have started slowly and never really picked up the temp is now 26 degrees and after 4 days sg is only 1060, i have given them both a good stir late last night in the hope it would wake them up , but still just slowly bubbling away , ph in both is 4.5, any thoughts
shadow74

equipment: No equipment, still looking at what i need

Re: Very Slow wash

Postby The Stig » Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:02 am

EC1118 is a slow champagne yeast and is always going to be slow and not to mention really really expensive.
You would be better off using good old bakers yeast.
In a TPW there is absolutely no benefit to using a specialty yeast
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby shadow74 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:36 am

At this stage of fermenting would there be any benefit in adding additional bakers yeast
Cheers
shadow74

equipment: No equipment, still looking at what i need

Postby howard » Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:36 pm

shadow74 wrote:Hey guys chasing a little advice i put down 2 tpw washes 26 ltr , 200 g of paste 6 kg sugar as and 1 small sachet each of ec1118 yeast half teaspoon of Dap and the same with Epsom salts , and 1 vit B tablet , the starting sg was a little high at 1080.,, problem is i was under the impression that the yeast had a high temperature tolerance and let it get up to 34 degrees , both batches have started slowly and never really picked up the temp is now 26 degrees and after 4 days sg is only 1060, i have given them both a good stir late last night in the hope it would wake them up , but still just slowly bubbling away , ph in both is 4.5, any thoughts

my thoughts are that people should follow the 'tried and proven' recipe. :smile:
the clue is in the title (T & P) and the 280gm lowans yeast is in woolies/coles (and a third of the cost of using 1118)
you probably have unhappy yeast with that amount of sugar (it's not all about alcohol tolerance apparently)
if you've not killed the 1118 from 34°C, it'll be hard to tell, it is a slow yeast anyway and might fizz along for weeks.
so, although i've never re-pitched in a sugar wash, now it's down to 1.060 i would be tempted to repitch.
thinking aloud...what the worse that can happen?
the bakers yeast out-competes the 1118 for the sugar?
maybe a little aeration (as opposed to a stir) to get the bakers yeast started?
howard

equipment: 35l brewzilla
2" modular CM
gin caddy
changeover element switch and voltage controller on brewzillas 1900w element.
5L glass boiler/glass leibig

Postby The Stig » Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:55 pm

shadow74 wrote:At this stage of fermenting would there be any benefit in adding additional bakers yeast
Cheers

I would chuck in 50g of bakers yeast .
Rehydrate it in 2L water with a teaspoon of sugar dissolved in it.
Let it foam up a little then pour into the wash
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Return to Beginners Questions