demijohn versus preserving jars for spirit storage

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

demijohn versus preserving jars for spirit storage

Postby gremlin » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:14 pm

Hi,

I have noticed that everyone I know in these circles keeps their spirits, liqueurs etc in 5 litre demijohns. Whilst this is practical for spirits only I find them very inconvenient when you want to handle oak chips or fruit pieces for liqueur making. I now use 5 litre preserving jars nearly exclusively. They are easy to clean inside ( you can actually get your hands inside) and anything like oak chips or fruit is just as easy to get in and to empty out.
Good quality Italian made 5 litre jars are only a little more than demijohns and the spirits do not come into contact with the rubber seal, which is of the highest food standard quality.
gremlin

equipment: home made

Re: demijohn versus preserving jars for spirit storage

Postby Brigand » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:28 pm

Where are you sourcing the jars?

Cheers
Brigand

equipment: 4" SS 6 Plate Bubbler
2" VM 1500mm Packed
2" Pot 500mm
5L Copper Alembic

Postby gremlin » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:40 pm

I mail order from kitchenwaredirect.com.au , they send any order over $ 100 for free. These Bormioli Rocco Fido preserving jars are much better than the cheap imported crap from PRC; they will last a life time, unless you drop them :) And at 14.95 for a 5 litre jar they are pretty close to the price of a 5 litre demijohn
gremlin

Postby cdbrown » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:33 pm

My wife ordered a few of those jars for preserving lemons and other items and currently waiting for them to arrive. When I saw the price I thought they were expensive but didn't consider comparing them with a 5L demijohn which I was considering buying.

How do the jars go when pouring out into a bottle?

Do they have a rubber seal? Have you wrapped the seal in PTFE tape to make it "spirit safe"?
cdbrown

equipment: 50L keg with McStill pot head, 3-ring burner on MP adj reg (upgrading to italian spiral)
McStill Copper Parrot
3v 50L brew rig with HERMS for 42L homebrew batches

Postby gremlin » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:03 am

hi,

yes, decanting from a jar is not as easy as from a bottle, but either way I have to use a large stainless steel funnel, so I do manage.
As to the rubber seals, I would rather buy the Italian tested foodstuff quality than any rubber or plastic made in PRC or other third world countries. The rubber seals are not in constant contact with the alcohol and normally the spirits I store in these jars are at approx. 40% Vol.
My grandpa used to store fruit in rum in such jars and lived to the ripe age of 96 years :)
Seriously, I have had cancer and I have discussed these issues with my surgeon. His opinion is that I will long be dead for a multitude of other reasons, before this will become a problem for me. The dangers from plastics are hundredfold greater when people microwave food in plastic containers or keep filling up their one way plastic water bottles.
Let's be honest, some people worry about a few plastic molecules entering their body, whilst they are literally drinking themselves to death.
gremlin

Postby kiwikeg » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:57 am

Great Idea Gremlin, :handgestures-thumbupleft: look here for local supplier kiwis http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =486573780
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Postby Linno » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:27 pm

gday

yeah i agree, i have started using jars as the staves and chunks i use dont fit in the top of the demis'.
Linno

equipment: FSD Mac 4 version 1 #001
4" single cap, 4 plate SS Bubbler,
400mm SS packed extension

Postby grehund » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:49 pm

I too use the Fido brand jars for doing any & all maceration, etc. For pure spirits (feints, etc) I still use a few demi's.
grehund

equipment: 4-plate 4" Bubble Cap
50L Keg Boiler, 2x 2.2kW Elements (1x Voltage Controller)
STC-1000 Temp Controlled Fermentation Fridge

Postby R-sole » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:16 am

I use the $5 ones from the junk shop. I throw away the rubber seals.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Return to Beginners Questions