First Ever Distil - TPW?

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Re: First Ever Distil - TPW?

Postby Cane Toad » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:48 pm

Hey Citris,when you get your new pot still from Mac,do yourself a favour,you're a bourbon drinker I take it,do the UJSM recepie in tried and proven :handgestures-thumbupleft: I promise you that once you start getting around the 5th generation,you WON'T go back to making a neutral and adding HBS cordials
I was always a Jim Beam Small Batch drinker (in moderation of course :laughing-rolling: )Now the booze I make,I and others can't tell the difference :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: It just takes a little while longer,letting the age on oak for 3-4 months
This doesn't stop you making a neutral and using cordials whilst waiting tho
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby Citris » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:27 pm

Thanks Cupcake, yeah I have been eyeing off that one, actually I was looking at McStill's "Bourbon Whiskey Knock Off", But I think I might concider holding on that for a little while. The one I made seems to be the "Home Brand" of flavours :laughing-rolling: And my mate and his wife said they like it, and his wife is picky. So, I guess I can stick with it (while trying a few other flavours) Until I get a bigger Boiler. I am thinking about getting a 95L Stainless Pot and putting a couple of elements in it, something better then the 30L 2000w one I got shafted with... That Way I can do 3x 25L washes at once. Then, I will start to tackle the UJSM.

I read McStill has a 140L boiler... would love to see that haha, I would even consider building my own boiler from scratch, If I can justify it :laughing-rolling: .
Citris

equipment: Local HBS Kit - Not sure yet...

Postby Longknife » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:58 pm

thanks citris and everyone else!

got the new t500 home to clean it as my washes will be finished soon. ran with vinegar and water first. then cranked it up will some water and 2 bottles of cheap vodka to
clean the condenser. all was going well, stable temp at 54c, product coming out where it should, slow leak out the water output<like it seems everyone else has!!>. then temp shoots STRAIGHT UP, 90c odd, output water stops flowing. I crap daks!, pull power, mouthfuls of water from a bottle blown into the condenser worrying the plastic bits will melt or the whole show blow up!@!@ went outside to check the rain water pump and the mrs had put a plastic bag over it to stop the rain on it<and cooked the bloody thing>!!! without saying anything!! first time ever done it! we had a little disscusion after that.

Anyway im off topic. purely on price and the word of some of the guys on hear that are so far advanced from where im at, how could i argue. TPWs from hear on in.
Cheers guys!!
Longknife

equipment: Ss t500 reflux

Previous

Return to Beginners Questions