Last minute POT Info

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Last minute POT Info

Postby Citris » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:19 pm

Hi again

I am about to do my first Distilling run on Monday, and I thought I'd get in really quick and check if there are any tips, or alterations to the instructions I got. This is pretty much the exact Still I have:

But with a Twin 1000W Element Boiler.

The instructions I was given by the HBS are:
1. Poor in wash
2. Turn on both Elements (2000W)
3. When the thermometer at the top of the condenser reaches 50c, switch to 1 burner (1000w) and start water
4. Water flow rate should be more then 1600ml/min (This part seems wrong to me)
5. Liquid should start coming out, throw away first 30ml per L of liquid (Works out to about 150ml, should be OK)
6. Once thermometer reaches 92c turn off boiler.

That's it, no mention of Cuts, and I think the flow rate of water is too high (Reading the Still Spirits manual for the POT still they have that looks exactly like this one, I see 500-600ml/s?). Now i have 28 x 250ml cups, so I can do the cut thing, and I'm sure from what I have learnt reading through many topics here, I can probably make the cuts.

The Question I have: Does or has anyone had this still, how did you go with it, what flow of water did you use, and do you have any tips for me, I would appreciate any general tips, I'm sure most POT stills have a basic set of rules.

Thank You
Citris
Citris

equipment: Local HBS Kit - Not sure yet...

Re: Last minute POT Info

Postby law-of-ohms » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:30 pm

Your not refluxing so high water flow is fine so long as the booze comes out under 30c degrees.

Looks like it should work well and you have all the basics covered.

Use your nose and smell the booze during the run.
law-of-ohms

equipment: 50L Keg boiler, 3600W element. - Low wines to nice wines :)
90L (Big Bertha) 1.2M 3" Copper - too small... lol

Postby R-sole » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:34 pm

Just turn your water up high to start with and then turn it back a little til you start getting a little condesation on a mirror held at the spout. Turn water back up till condesation stops and then turn up a little more for safety.
This is your minimum water flow.

There should never be vapour coming from the still, this represents a dangerous conditiona nd a loss of product.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby Citris » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:19 pm

Thanx guys, awesome.

Sounds easy enough, which is probably good because I'd say we will be having a few beers while sitting around waiting for the cups to fill. Thinking of building a rig to automatically rotate between cups when they reach 200-220ml, so I can set and work on other things. Going to be happy to see my fist batch. Got a couple of dodgy HBS Essences to try, and some good ideas from you guys on what I should try. Oh 1 more thing, Do you let the alcohol sit before smelling to work out cuts? (With a tea towel over them I guess). Or just straight to smelling and making cuts?

Citris
Citris

equipment: Local HBS Kit - Not sure yet...

Postby Panda » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:52 pm

Ive got the same setup. had a play with it then decided not to bother with pot stilling till I build a decent sized still. old man has been using it on a 5 litre pot to play with gin recipes
Panda

equipment: T500 & CM with pot head.

Return to Beginners Questions