How to correctly dilute spirit?

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Postby TJStill » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:38 am

Hi All,
New to distilling and have read this fantastic site over and over..! Great work with a great source of info..
After months of reading I have bought a pot still + parrot from MCstill (thanks again mate) and have distilled my sugar wash which seemed to work just like all the reading has said. Very impressed with the Still!
I have now (what I think is right) separated the heads/tails for next time and have the hearts in a few bottles for next step. Did multiple jar collections as stated in the cuts thread.
I did a Sugar wash as trying to make something similar to Cachaca (Brazil Rum).
My Brazilian house mate tells it looks the same and smells just like it...
I am still unsure exactly how to read the alcometer correctly... I
I could not find a thread here with how to exactly read the alcometer. If there is a thread could someone fire me the link.
I am very nervous on drinking it for first time (like all others I would imagine on there first make)
Most of all want to know how to get the right reading so know how much water to add for the correct dilute back to 40%
It is all probably here on the site but think I missed it and would be good to get some direct info...
Appreciate any replies.. :-D
TJStill

equipment: Learning the Pot Still Way....

Re: How to correctly dilute spirit?

Postby MacStill » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:00 am

Use the dilution calculator here mate viewtopic.php?f=17&t=456

As long as you've removed the fore shots, done reasonable cuts & diluted properly there's no need to be nervous :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby SBB » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:22 am

Its also worth remembering that most alcometers are calibrated to read at a cetain temp (usually 20oC), If your Alc is not at that temp you will need to make adjustments to get a correct ABV reading.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Frank » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:23 pm

Hi TJ
welcome here BTW and hope you have a good time...

and +1 those comments above (of course)......

Mate, as well as 'quantity' of water determination, IMHO its worth considering the 'quality' of the water you use in dilution for drinking product. Afterall, the water is likely to be a significant proportion of the finished product and may (if you are patient etc) be around in the bottle or whatever for quite a while. I use boiled rainwater mostly and it seems more than fine to me and those that try my spirits. BTW, I know there are discussions on this forum aligned with water quality.....but :oops: I trust someone else is better at finding them and feel free to add your own. ;-)

On the nervous-to-drink point, mate, fair enough..it IS a drug and it CAN hurt lots but....if you remember the foreshots are a nono, the heads are bad (think headaches tomorrow) and the rest is not a problem (excepting sh#t tastes eventually in tails), you are good to go.....assuming previous alcohol consumption experience of course.
Anyway if you go slow on consumption the first (few) times....it'll make sense either later that night or especially the morning after. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Frank

Postby TJStill » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:02 pm

Huge thanks to the replies :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers MCstill for the calculator thread - this here should sort me out..

Yes Frank have loads of drinking experience, prob a bit too much in fact.. Just a little different when about to consume your own ethanol you made for first time..
If I start feeling a bit crap late at night I will let you all know first with a comment here before I get help.. :D

Will get it diluted and let rest for 3-4 weeks first before drinking...

Cheers again all...
TJStill

Postby Sam. » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:05 pm

Reckon you will be fine TJ. Guarantee you will be feeling awesome later in the night :)) :))

You will also wake up with a very less sever hangover. With homebrew beer and spirits I find its more of a "dry hangover" that once you replenish you fluids you feel fine.

Dont know if anyone else get this but if I drink real scotch the next day I get wicked heartburn :handgestures-thumbdown: on the moonshine nothing :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Frank » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:56 pm

@S&L
sam_and_liv wrote:......
Dont know if anyone else get this but if I drink real scotch the next day I get wicked heartburn :handgestures-thumbdown: on the moonshine nothing :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Mate, if you dont mind..... please describe YOUR def'n of real scotch...point is, IMHO, if you get a dodgy headspace/bodypart next morning from drinking, say, Islay singlemalt on ice (with appropriate water BEFORE you go to bed :naughty: ) ) then I'd expect similar from most distilled bevereages.....all allegen issues aside, of course... otherwise .....please read the label first :laughing-rolling:

@TJ
IMHO it is appropriate, as a home distiller, to wake up WITHOUT a hangover, all else being equal IYKWIM....
BTW, my comment about water for consumption is relevant even if its what you consume (separately) prior to sleeptime after a bender etc. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Frank

Postby Sam. » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:00 pm

Sorry frank I meant comercial shit that is branded as real scotch ie Johnny walker red. Never had a problem from sampling my collection of up to 30yr old scotch. But then again I don't drink a whole bottle of the good shit in one sitting!
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby MacStill » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:04 pm

Frank wrote:
IMHO it is appropriate, as a home distiller, to wake up WITHOUT a hangover, all else being equal IYKWIM....
BTW, my comment about water for consumption is relevant even if its what you consume (separately) prior to sleeptime

But fish piss in it, and anyway why fuck up a perfectly good thirst with that crap? :laughing-rolling:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Cane Toad » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:51 am

+1 Mac :laughing-rolling:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby TJStill » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:02 am

Cheers Frank and Sam/Liv for the comments... Looking forward to the no hangover thing.. Something I will need to get use to! :))
TJStill

Return to Beginners Questions