Epiphany in the loo

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Epiphany in the loo

Postby hicup » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:15 pm

As you do in the loo, I was having a bit of a think....
What if instead of vitamin b tablets in the fermenter, I was to put in some Vegemite...
It's based on yeast extract, it contains riboflavin and other b vitamin bits, plus it also contains malt extra t from barley

Any thoughts on if the addition of vaginamite would be useful or detrimental, if useful any idea on the ratio per gallon of UJSm wash?

In case your wondering, the trip to the loo was a success.... :))
hicup

equipment: 50 litre keg powered by 2200w element output through a 50mm pot head with internal double wound 6.4mm condenser.
Maybe the worlds first glass jar condensered 2 inch bokka hybrid at 1200 mm packed height quadruple wound condenser complete with quick release output line.

Re: Epiphany in the loo

Postby Panda » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:39 pm

if anything it would be an expensive exercise. Its prob the main ingredient in turbo yeast :laughing-rolling:
as long as the salt didnt harm the yeast I assume it would work.
Panda

equipment: T500 & CM with pot head.

Postby stilly_bugger » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:44 pm

There are a few recipes around that use Marmite, the Sanitarium version of Vegemite. I think Marmite has fewer preservatives or salt, or something like that, and that's why it's preferred.

The addition of these yeast extract products is meant to help stop sugar washes from stalling. Tried it once after I had a Wineo's Plain Old Sugar Wash stall. Helped a bit, but then I got on to McStill's/Birdwatcher's Tomato Paste Wash and have never looked back.

:handgestures-thumbupleft:
stilly_bugger

equipment: simple pot with worm on an electric boiler.

Postby law-of-ohms » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:52 pm

tried marmite in a few sugar washes.

I dont think it helped much
law-of-ohms

equipment: 50L Keg boiler, 3600W element. - Low wines to nice wines :)
90L (Big Bertha) 1.2M 3" Copper - too small... lol

Postby MacStill » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:26 pm

I've used it in my rum ferments in place of B pills, works quite well & in such small amounts I use there's no flavor carry over from it :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby crow » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:40 pm

In mates at a certain training center/prison farm use to go out contract picking melons and punkins . The fella's would cut a bung out of the melon and stuff in a slice of bread thickly pasted with vegamite add water if needed and replace the bung . next time they'd go out say a week or 2 they'd remove the bung and Bobs ya aunties live in lover . Worked , probably tasted like unwiped arse though , same joint ended up developing a very sophisticated underground still wondering if thats the reason why :teasing-tease:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Frank » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:32 pm

:laughing-rolling: :-D this thread is
1. surely as well titled as anything seen on this forum :clap:
2. re the title...doin' my head in regarding posts about 'vegemite'-type produce 8-} :puke-huge:

What I'd like to know is would any of the ??mite Vit B 'survive' distillation and maybe help internally after boozing (ie depleting Vit B)??? :think:
Frank

Postby R-sole » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:14 am

I use it in agar when growing mushroom cultures as a nutrient. Only at 1g per 500ml. It's mixed with Agar, Karo (a corn syrup) and Deb instant potato.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Return to Beginners Questions