Sudden terrible surging problems!

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Postby mitcho89 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:44 pm

Hey there fellow Shiners',

My name is Mitch, nice to meet you all. I've been brewing beer for quite a few years now, all grain brewing for the last 2 and so I thought I would dive into the world of spirits! I got myself a mint condition Fusel Express 27L reflux still with a 2.4KW element. Starting off, I absolutely loved the results and was more than happy with the results I was getting (even with using turbos!) But recently on my last couple of batches I've been getting terrible surging and puking problems and I have absolutely no idea why. All my washes are .990 or lower, just about crystal clear, never above 25L and have always use distilling conditioner just in case.

I have no idea if my element is pulsing, or my packing is too tight so it's not refluxing too problem, or if I need a boil breaker as it's super heating the wash but it's just doing my head in and giving me some really crappy results... I know this sounds like a "noob" question but I've spent weeks researching, reading, talking to experts such as Craig from Tru Brew Capalaba and other little things but it's just doing me in, I'm close to throwing in the towel :(

Thanks and kind regards,

Mitch.
mitcho89

equipment: Beer - 70L brew pot, all-grain setup, Fridge Mate controlled 120L chest freezer with 2 taps, 3 kegs.

Hooch - 27L Fusel Express, many happy friends!

Re: Sudden terrible surging problems!

Postby MR-E » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:56 am

mitcho89 wrote:Hey there fellow Shiners',

My name is Mitch, nice to meet you all. I've been brewing beer for quite a few years now, all grain brewing for the last 2 and so I thought I would dive into the world of spirits! I got myself a mint condition Fusel Express 27L reflux still with a 2.4KW element. Starting off, I absolutely loved the results and was more than happy with the results I was getting (even with using turbos!) But recently on my last couple of batches I've been getting terrible surging and puking problems and I have absolutely no idea why. All my washes are .990 or lower, just about crystal clear, never above 25L and have always use distilling conditioner just in case.

I have no idea if my element is pulsing, or my packing is too tight so it's not refluxing too problem, or if I need a boil breaker as it's super heating the wash but it's just doing my head in and giving me some really crappy results... I know this sounds like a "noob" question but I've spent weeks researching, reading, talking to experts such as Craig from Tru Brew Capalaba and other little things but it's just doing me in, I'm close to throwing in the towel :(

Thanks and kind regards,

Mitch.

Try a run without packing & if you don't get surging/puking then you'll know your packing is too tight.
Check for any blockages, wasp nest are a common complaint.
Double check your water hoses are in the right order.
Keep us posted.

Cheers :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MR-E

equipment: Cooking on gas,50ltr keg, 3"Bok &
4" column with 6 perf plates

Postby Rumdrinker » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:53 am

I recently had a similar issue & was due to me installing new packing too tight. Repacked it correctly & problem solved.
Rumdrinker

equipment: Electric & HP gas Keg boilers. 4" pot still for stripping & rum, Bubbler in the making.....

Postby mitcho89 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:40 am

Thanks very much for the replies. Any way to know if your packing is too loose, too tight, not enough or too much?
mitcho89

equipment: Beer - 70L brew pot, all-grain setup, Fridge Mate controlled 120L chest freezer with 2 taps, 3 kegs.

Postby MR-E » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:54 am

I pack my column so that If I give it a good shake the packing comes out, if I cant shake em out,
it's too tight.

Cheers :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MR-E

equipment: Cooking on gas,50ltr keg, 3"Bok &
4" column with 6 perf plates

Postby mitcho89 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:00 am

Mate that is outstanding advise. No wonder I was getting puking, my still couldn't breathe and reflux, it was just condensing around the cooling jacket and over flowing. Thanks a bunch!
mitcho89

Return to Beginners Questions