New Still & Boiler Question

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

New Still & Boiler Question

Postby Citris » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:53 pm

Hi guys. First off, a big thank you to MacStill for my new pit still, looks great. Now I just wanted to ask a question about tge boiler setting. My boiler is a 30L one with 2x 1000w heating elements, with the ability to use one or both. Currently (with my ild smaller still) I use both (2000w) to get the temperature to about 50-60c, then I dial it back to 1 (1000w) for a sow and easy stream.

My Question, should I keep doing this? Or just use the full power till the end?

And a second question, I read for stripping runs you go down to 20% ABV. What ABV do you go too on a spirit run?

Thanx again guys. All been a great help.
Citris

equipment: Local HBS Kit - Not sure yet...

Re: New Still & Boiler Question

Postby Kimbo » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:01 pm

Hi Citris,
on a stripping run, I would go full power all the way to the end.
for a spirit run, i would see how it performs, you may only need 1000w or you may need 2000w.
i would also collect down to 20% on a spirit run and after cuts,keep it as feints ;-)
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby caveman » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:27 pm

+1 what kimbo said
ya want to run the stripping run with as much power as ya got i throw 4800w at mine :handgestures-thumbupleft:
caveman

equipment: 3" macStill boka
2" pot still with shotgun condencer (the swan with hotdog ) custom by mcstill
105L custom built s/s boiler with sight glass/fillport ,thermoport
Aces high thumper plate bubbler ( long term project)
building custom mobile boiler bench

Postby Citris » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:58 am

Sweet, so I'm guessing, running at higher temps doesn't evaporate to quick and loose alcohol, it just stripes it faster? so as long as your still can condense the amount, it should be OK? Just trying to wrap my head around it, this will be my first Stripping and Spirit run, as apposed to just pouring it in and doing 1 run. 8-)

Looking forward to trying wood chips :D
Citris

Postby Kimbo » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:05 am

Citris wrote:Sweet, so I'm guessing, running at higher temps doesn't evaporate to quick and loose alcoholNo, it just stripes it faster?Yes so as long as your still can condense the amount, it should be OK? YesJust trying to wrap my head around it, this will be my first Stripping and Spirit run, as apposed to just pouring it in and doing 1 run. 8-)

Looking forward to trying wood chips :D
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby Citris » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:37 am

Woo... Now I just need to get a new holesaw to expand the hole in my lid, and ill be ready :-D Turns out they made the lids stronger then they use to :angry-banghead: .
Citris

Postby Citris » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:46 pm

Just started first runs now, If I take the 150ml off each stripping run, should I still take more off the spirit run? another 150ml?
Citris

Postby Heffers » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:35 pm

Citris wrote:Just started first runs now, If I take the 150ml off each stripping run, should I still take more off the spirit run? another 150ml?

I do just to err on the side of caution however there are some that keep everything from the stripping runs and then ditch the foreshots when doing the spirit run.

The reason for this is that when doing the spirit run, you will let your column equilize (run on full reflux) for a period of time (15-45 mins depending on equipment and personal preference) which draws all of the nasties to the top of the column to be taken off first.

Cheers, Heffers
Heffers

equipment: 2.5" Pot Still for Stripping
2.5" Condensor Controlled - Neutral Producer
2.2kW 50L Keg

Return to Beginners Questions